Need help

Ajdebeer132

6 hours ago, introverter said:

I understand the urgency to get this sorted but you already bought solar panels that may or may not help you (adding more panels later can be a little bit like having to match memory DIMMS 8 years later)

Thanks for the reply im not going to wait long i got 2 panels of 380W now and in 2 months i will buy another 4 panels that will put me to 6 panels so that will take care of the day.The reason for the large battery pack is for now just to last the long sessions we dont have power at night cause more panels wont help me at night

Looking at the amount of money you consider dropping and at the risk of overstepping (apologies in advance to all concerned)

I want to really say thank you for your help and the other guys cause for me its really alot of money but got no choice at the moment

I suggest trying to contact @Jaco de Jongh (maybe PM him or check here) en gesels met hom , if he can't assist you maybe he knows someone closer to your side of the woods that ca

Thank you will pm and call him tomorrow , my problem with the guys that i contact want to take me off the grid with alot of solar panels and small batterys of even then lead acid batterys to get the amount that i need and im really dome with lead acid that things dont last at all

My concern is that you either end up with a pentium I 90mHz PC to do 4K video rendering or a R50 000 gaming rig to play solitaire.

i know exactly what you mean here but i rather over buy now on the battery's and know that it will last and if i only use half then the battery's should last longer because i dont use them that much. With the solar panels i ask a few people they look and said the 2 panels will power the inverter it wont give alot the said i can get about 400 to 500w with the 2 panels but i wont bargain for that i think i will get around 300w for the 2 panels bethal is not that warm. but the 300w is enough if my wife want to put on the tv and the router for internet. they wont charge the batterys but that was not what i was planed to do with them. i will add later in the 2 months 4 panels extra to charge the battery's and at the end of the year another 2 panels so that i got 8 in total that should be enough.

The  thing why i want also the battery's at first is if you add battery's on a later stage they get taken down by the older battery's , thats what i read but can be wrong so i will buy all the battery's now and then add the panels till the end of the year cause i cant see that our municipality is going to fix this problem in the next 6 months at least.

if im wrong at any off the stuff please let me know like i said i done a lot of researched and you tube videos to check but i have not done this before.

Edited by Ajdebeer132
add some stuff

16 minutes ago, Ajdebeer132 said:

With the solar panels i ask a few people they look and said the 2 panels will power the inverter

https://solaradvice.co.za/product/growatt-5kw-hvm-wpv-series-inverter/ ( this is the one im looking to buy)

Which 2 panels are you getting?

Look at the voltages required by the MPTT

Screenshot_20200621-173124_Drive.thumb.jpg.c8cfb466d0063a459747c5de8ac4a378.jpg

I don't think 2 panels will be enough?

12 minutes ago, Ajdebeer132 said:

and if you got time someone check the difference between this 2

https://solaradvice.co.za/product/growatt-5kw-5kva-inverter/

and 

https://solaradvice.co.za/product/growatt-5kw-hvm-wpv-series-inverter/ ( this is the one im looking to buy)

The first one is clearly  rebadged Voltronic. Talk to @jykenmynie, he swapped his unit out as he was not happy with it.

The second one speaks of a high voltage DC input, but from the pictures in the manual and the menu items, it appears to be a Voltronic too... just the one with the 450V input. You're going to need at least 4 x 72-cell panels in series for the high voltage unit to work properly, and ideally even more.

So both of them are rebadged Axperts, so they are much of a muchness in my opinion.

55 minutes ago, francois said:

don't think 2 panels will be enough?

Features and Warranties

• 5 busbar solar cell design.
  • Higher output power.
  • Excellent low-light performance.
  • Lower temperature coefficient.
  • 12-year product warranty.
  • 25-year linear power output warranty.

Technical Specifications

• Cell: Mono.
  • No. of cells: 72(6×10).
  • Rated Maximum Power (Pmax): 390W
  • Maximum Efficiency: 19.8%.
  • Open Circuit Voltage (Voc) [V]: 49.35.
  • Maximum Power Voltage (Vmp) [V]: 40.21.
  • Short Circuit Current (Isc) [A]: 10.20.
  • Maximum Power Current (Imp) [A]: 9.70.
  • Junction Box: IP67.
  • Maximum System Voltage: 1000V.
  • Operating Temperature: -40℃~+85℃.
  • Weight: 22kg±3%.
  • Dimensions: 1979mm × 996mm × 40mm.

Here is the specs of the panels so how many do i need for it to work and can you mix panels or not ?

20 minutes ago, Ajdebeer132 said:

Features and Warranties

• 5 busbar solar cell design.
  • Higher output power.
  • Excellent low-light performance.
  • Lower temperature coefficient.
  • 12-year product warranty.
  • 25-year linear power output warranty.

Technical Specifications

• Cell: Mono.
  • No. of cells: 72(6×10).
  • Rated Maximum Power (Pmax): 390W
  • Maximum Efficiency: 19.8%.
  • Open Circuit Voltage (Voc) [V]: 49.35.
  • Maximum Power Voltage (Vmp) [V]: 40.21.
  • Short Circuit Current (Isc) [A]: 10.20.
  • Maximum Power Current (Imp) [A]: 9.70.
  • Junction Box: IP67.
  • Maximum System Voltage: 1000V.
  • Operating Temperature: -40℃~+85℃.
  • Weight: 22kg±3%.
  • Dimensions: 1979mm × 996mm × 40mm.

Here is the specs of the panels so how many do i need for it to work and can you mix panels or not ?

Like @plonkstersaid, you will need at least 4 panels wired in series.

You can mix panels, but you'll need to make sure they're closely matched.

Mixing panels has some disadvantages.

Edited by francois

1 hour ago, plonkster said:

So both of them are rebadged Axperts, so they are much of a muchness in my opinion.

Is this a bad or a good thing what inverters must i look at cause i dont know all that solar advice said is the growatt works with the dyness i need then someone that can tell me what inverters works. Cause the growatt also have a 5year warrenty against the 1 to 2 year warrenty of the mecer?

13 minutes ago, francois said:

ou can mix panels, but you'll need to make sure they're closely matched.

Mixing panels has some disadvantages

Weight 22.3 kg
Dimensions 1979 × 996 × 40 mm
Watts

390W

Brand

JA Solar

Disclaimer

Prices are subject to change with no prior notice. Subject to availability. Images are for display purposes and may vary slightly in appearance.

Delivery

Standard delivery rates will apply for deliveries to anywhere in South Africa. Delivery dates will be determined by supplier capability.

MCS Reference

BABT 8515-167-R1

VMPP

40.21 V

IMPP

9.7 A

Voc

49.35 V

Temp. Coefficient (Mpp)

-0.37 %

Clamp position on panel

Long and short side

Connector Type

QC Solar QC 4.10

Efficiency

19.8 %

Pallet Size

Oversized

Will this work and what is the disadvantages if i may ask?

3 minutes ago, Ajdebeer132 said:
Weight 22.3 kg
Dimensions 1979 × 996 × 40 mm
Watts

390W

Brand

JA Solar

Disclaimer

Prices are subject to change with no prior notice. Subject to availability. Images are for display purposes and may vary slightly in appearance.

Delivery

Standard delivery rates will apply for deliveries to anywhere in South Africa. Delivery dates will be determined by supplier capability.

MCS Reference

BABT 8515-167-R1

VMPP

40.21 V

IMPP

9.7 A

Voc

49.35 V

Temp. Coefficient (Mpp)

-0.37 %

Clamp position on panel

Long and short side

Connector Type

QC Solar QC 4.10

Efficiency

19.8 %

Pallet Size

Oversized

Will this work and what is the disadvantages if i may ask?

Those will work, and as been mentioned you'll need at least 4 of them wired in series to work with the inverter you're planning on buying.

On mixing of the panels, I am no expert but this is what I think is happening:

I installed 10 x 260w Yingli panels a while ago and wanted to add to my array.

Those 260w panels are no longer available and I had to look at the next closest thing which was JA solar 285w.

Because I'm now mixing the 285w panels with the 260w panels, my 285w panels are performing at the same level as the 260w panels.

So they have derated.

Maybe someone else can advise?

2 hours ago, Ajdebeer132 said:

and if you got time someone check the difference between this 2

https://solaradvice.co.za/product/growatt-5kw-5kva-inverter/

and 

As @plonkster said, I had the first one. I'm not an expert on these things, so I would speak to my experience of the Growatt inverter in question:

1. It did not bond neutral and earth when the grid was down. I had about 80V between neutral and earth and the balance between live and earth. I understand this is against SANS regs. Note that it might simply be an issue with mine as I'm in no position to say, from a technical perspective, that it'll be the issue with all of them

2. Some have managed to get it to communicate with Pylontech batteries, as far as I understand. It could not communicate with the Shoto that was sold with it as a package to me. I did return the battery as well, because it can't communicate with any inverters at the moment. However, it seems like a solid battery which will be a great option once the inverters can communicate with it.

3. It isn't a "hybrid" or whatever these inverters are called: I.e. it can't "push back" into the grid to attempt to zeroise the draw from your non-essential circuits if you have excess solar power. I don't have solar yet, but this was a big item for me, because otherwise I definitely see myself "wasting" a lot of solar power during the day.

4. Do not expect anything to be well documented or that the manuals you get with those inverters, or online, will be resembling what you see on the version of the firmware you have.

5. Don't expect the apps to be useful, and you also can't remotely manage it from the app. This was a big drawback for me.

Other than the above, it worked fine. Kept the power on when the grid was down... I'm just not one for building an expensive system (batteries, panels) around an "inexpensive" and poorly supported inverter. I'm a big computers guy, and will never skimp on the PSU, even if it doesn't directly influence the performance of any of the parts, simply because it has the ability to mess up everything.

I wouldn't recommend the Growatt to someone, because from my perspective: 

Point 1 above is a non-negotiable.

Point 2 isn't that bad. I think many people would be fine to manage their lithiums on voltage, but I'm a numbers guy and want to know the SoC of my battery so I can do calculations.

Point 3 depends on your use case. In my case, I am going to generate significantly more power during the day than my essential circuit and batteries would demand, so I need it to help my pool pump, geysers, aircon, kettle, whatever else wants to draw power during that time and which I didn't put on my essential circuit.

Points 4 and 5 are personal preferences.

I've exchanged my unit for a Victron Multiplus II. This is a more expensive system, no doubt, but it works. It has heaps of documentation to read up on to help you understand what you bought and how to get it to work. The software is great. You can download lots of data, set up alarms to email you on event (like the grid going down), it bonds neutral and earth (as if this should be a surprise). If anything goes wrong or you just require a little help in understanding something, the Victron community is extremely helpful.

Honestly, I've been so impressed with the system and the flexibility it offers and I've only had it working since Friday. Still lots to play around with and lots more when I get panels. At the moment it is allowing me to monitor the whole house's usage by source so I can start to draw graphs and understand how my solar setup should be positioned and potentially split up between more than one MPPT for efficiency.

@Ajdebeer132 I just read this thread (my previous reply was before I did): Please send a PM to @Jaco de Jonghand ask for advice. He sells parts and ships at a very reasonable fee. He helped me immensely even though I couldn't end up making my purchase from him (had to work through the guys I was returning my previous goods to). He gave me great advice on parts (him and @plonkster). Going solar/battery backup is MUCH more than just looking at kW/kVA on the inverter, Watts on the panels and kWh's on the batteries. You need to carefully spec a system so that all the parts work well together and you don't create a bottleneck somewhere. The speccing of the cabling being pulled and the breakers are important, especially with a Victron system.

Depending on where you stay, I've had an extremely positive experience with electricians and can highly recommend them if you might end up going the Victron route.

33 minutes ago, jykenmynie said:

@Ajdebeer132 I just read this thread (my previous reply was before I did): Please send a PM to @Jaco de Jonghand ask for advice. He sells parts and ships at a very reasonable fee. He helped me immensely even though I couldn't end up making my purchase from him (had to work through the guys I was returning my previous goods to). He gave me great advice on parts (him and @plonkster). Going solar/battery backup is MUCH more than just looking at kW/kVA on the inverter, Watts on the panels and kWh's on the batteries. You need to carefully spec a system so that all the parts work well together and you don't create a bottleneck somewhere. The speccing of the cabling being pulled and the breakers are important, especially with a Victron system.

Depending on where you stay, I've had an extremely positive experience with electricians and can highly recommend them if you might end up going the Victron route.

i want to say thank you very much cause i really dont know all the stuff this is what i came about my own research. and the growatt demo app on their website looked nice to get some info if i wanna buy panels later on so that i dont over spend. and i was on the brink to buy that stuff and im reconsider my option even if i have to leave the one battery that i would rather get the victron then did you get the 5kva or 3 kva victron. 

Is this a bad or a good thing what inverters must i look at cause i dont know all that solar advice said is the growatt works with the dyness i need then someone that can tell me what inverters works. Cause the growatt also have a 5year warrenty against the 1 to 2 year warrenty of the mecer?

Full disclosure: My bread is buttered by the selling of another brand, so naturally I would want to steer you in that direction. You initially said you wanted something that would last a long time, and because of that I wanted to steer you away from the Voltronic. I don't think it is a bad inverter per se, but they do have a shorter design life.

I actually didn't know the Growatt repackaging had a 5-year warranty. That does change things  bit.

I do know that price can be a deciding factor, in which case I usually say you have to pick one component that you're willing to replace in the future. For example, one strategy is to spend money on a good battery bank and save some on the inverter... and then upgrade the inverter later. Lots of people also do it the other way round, the spend money on a good inverter, throw in four cheap lead acids (just for the essentials), and then they buy the nice LFP bank later.

Also, as noted in another thread, the Dyness battery warranty is only 5 years if you don't use it with a good hybrid inverter.

🙂

Edited by plonkster

34 minutes ago, Ajdebeer132 said:

i want to say thank you very much cause i really dont know all the stuff this is what i came about my own research. and the growatt demo app on their website looked nice to get some info if i wanna buy panels later on so that i dont over spend. and i was on the brink to buy that stuff and im reconsider my option even if i have to leave the one battery that i would rather get the victron then did you get the 5kva or 3 kva victron. 

My house is old, and I had difficulty figuring out an appropriate way to wire my essentials (backup). I couldn't within reason split any circuits from my essential loads other than the scullery and kitchen. As such, my lounge, living room, bedrooms, study, garage, light etc. all are on the essential circuit. This pretty much limited me to the 5kVA Multiplus II. It still has some headroom, but we have a newborn in the house, so my wife currently keeps a heater on in the baby's room all the time, so our draw does get to just over 3kVA at times.

As a side note: I learned that kVA and kW isn't the same thing, it is only the same thing if you put resistance loads on your AC circuit (kettle, toasters, heater). If you are going to put motor type loads on it (fridge, freezer, lawnmower) you might end up pulling up to 20% more kVA from your inverter than the wattage of the applicance. I.e. Lawnmower pulls 2000W, but 2400kVA. Just something to consider if you want to run power tools etc. Don't worry too much about a fridge.

I wouldn't recommend getting the 5kVA if you can get away with the 3kVA. You can always parallel another 3kVA in the future and that should be more than enough. The nice thing about the Victrons are that they are only really limited on their backup side (5kVA on mine), but its transfer rating is 50A. So basically, it can power your whole house, if you have enough solar panels, the sun is shining and Eskom is on. At least, this is my very layman's understanding. Sure the other guys here will either correct me or be able to explain it much better.

My suggestion (which I wish I did before I started out on this journey) is to figure out where you want to be: For example, my goal is to be largely "off-grid" with my essentials. So at night, my batteries are enough to keep my essentials going and during the day my PV would be able to recharge the batteries and run the essentials. The rest of the PV power I don't want to waste, so I want to push back to help reduce my Eskom bill. Watch the youtube video by Victron's MD (@plonkster pointed me to it) to help you understand such a system's capabilities. Link here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbpQzEZTElI

With that idea, speak to someone like @Jaco de Jongh, he should be able to help you understand what you need and give you really good prices. Then make sure you get someone knowledgeable about Victron systems to install. What you don't want, is to be in my situation where I had all the wiring done for a Growatt system (luckily I asked for them to overspec so got 6mm/40Amp breakers, instead of the sufficient 2.5mm/20Amp breakers, wiring to the inverter) where this is now a bottleneck for my Victron. Make sure to pull 10mm cable from the get go. Don't sukkel with 6mm or 2.5mm on the backbone of your house' electricity. This just helps with future proofing and also, because the 5kVA Victron can pull up to 50A from the grid to charge batteries (or push 50A back to the grid to power non-essentials), you kinda want the 10mm cable and a suitable breaker.

I'm not an electrician, so I'm kinda relaying to you what I learned the last few days. I might be wrong on this, but then someone is bound to jump in an correct me. :)

To get a rough idea of the products you'll need, I'd look at:

1. Either the 3kVA/5kVA MP II depending on your needs 

2. A Venus GX (if you want to save some money - I've got this one) or Cerbo GX (if you want to splurge a little more but have the ability to do a bit more) - Also consider whether you can hardwire internet to the GX, I think the Venus' wifi capabilities are a bit weak: Consider their comparison here: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/venus-os:start

3. An ET112 meter (energy meter to install before power comes into your mains)

4. Your batteries of choice, but I'd make sure they are on Victron's list: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:start (maybe there's more - plonkster would know)

5. You'll need an MPPT controller (the thing that manages your PV panels). Victron offers a whole range of them to best suit your needs. Someone like Jaco would be able to help you decide on the best one for you. I don't know much about this yet, just that you need to make sure the volts and amps of the MPPT and your panels are matched.

6. Jaco will also be able to make sure you get all the correct cables to connect everything together. You'll need some data cables, battery cables etc.

Hope this helps! Sorry about the wall of text, but I'm trying to best to convey what little knowledge I've managed to gather recently as succinctly as possible. The main thing I've learned: Get knowledgeable people to help you spec and install the system.

Edited by jykenmynie
fixed a language issue

7 minutes ago, jykenmynie said:

its transfer rating is 50A

The 3kVA MP-II has a 32A transfer switch. That's still over 7kW of total load you can run through it (as long as the grid is on, otherwise you're limited to 3kW only, as stated).

9 minutes ago, jykenmynie said:

Your batteries of choice, but I'd make sure they are on Victron's list

Just as a note: dyness works perfectly fine, because of their similarity to Pylontech.

12 hours ago, plonkster said:

So both of them are rebadged Axperts,

Actually, the Growatts are work-alikes. They may have started as clones, but they have their own distinct firmware now. There are still many striking similarities to the Axperts, as you noted, but some significant differences too. As just one example of a trivial difference, the Growatt bulk/absorb and float settings have different setting numbers to the Axperts'.

ok so i dig change my mind and i hope its for the best going to order tomorrow 

pylon us2000b X 2

Keto Battery disconnector 

Cable pack

Victron Multiplus ii 3kva with CGX

Bluesolar MPPT 150/35

any thoughts?

i must say the victron stuff is not cheap!!!😅

Edited by Ajdebeer132

8 minutes ago, Ajdebeer132 said:

something I definitely dislike about victron 😬 but to me price..worth..value is a long complex fight

11 minutes ago, Ajdebeer132 said:

Bluesolar MPPT 150/35

I do not know whether it will make any real practical difference for what you will do but from the 150/45 up I think the units are a bit beefier (not victron approved term) and add a relay and remote on/off option that could be handy depending where your system ends up going. Also check there are bluesolar and smartsolar MPPT's (smart solar has built-in bluetooth, bluesolar will obviously be less money)

If really pushed on budget I might consider going for the non-GX MP ii and stick venus on a Raspberry Pi. Other than the potential risk of SD card failures I do not know if the Pi based version has any risk compared to having the GX screen or if the GX adds something that the Pi version does not have (I will mar click my heels twice and hope @plonkster appears as if by magic)..

22 minutes ago, introverter said:

bluesolar and smartsolar MPPT's (smart solar has built-in bluetooth, bluesolar will obviously be less money)

i know this is a stupid question but dont the GX handle the mppt monitor aswell otherwise is 2 different places i must connect too?

Just now, Ajdebeer132 said:

i know this is a stupid question but dont the GX handle the mppt monitor aswell otherwise is 2 different places i must connect too?

No such thing as stupid questions... stupid answers is another matter because I do that alot 😳

the GX should handle monitoring the MPPT so bluetooth is not needed for that. The bluetooth MPPT is probably more appealing for people that do not have any venus/GX devices or use the MPPT on a stand-alone basis because it allows you to make some settings changes and see what the MPPT is doing from your phone (victron connect app) with a graphical interface and without needing a VE.Direct cable.

1 hour ago, Ajdebeer132 said:

ok so i dig change my mind and i hope its for the best going to order tomorrow 

pylon us2000b X 2

Keto Battery disconnector 

Cable pack

Bluesolar MPPT 150/35

any thoughts?

Jut want to check - You are mentioning a CGX. Is this the colour control GX? That one is quite expensive and would require an additional enclosure (I think). If you have an ethernet connection (or be able to get one) at the GX, going Venus saves a lot of money. You've got more than enough screens in your house to manage it!

For example, I log into the Venus from either my phone or computer over the LAN to operate it. Much more convenient anyways than having to walk to my garage.

19 minutes ago, jykenmynie said:

Jut want to check - You are mentioning a CGX. Is this the colour control GX?

I actually read that as MP-II -GX without thinking it could be a separate CCGX, Cerbo, etc. (not known for my reading concentration..🙄)

@Ajdebeer132 the GX part is what controls how the entire system operates and makes it possible to see info on a screen (physical display like the CCGX or "remote" like on a phone connected via wifi, computer on network, etc.) Look here to see the available options - one option that is not listed there is that you can load the Venus OS on a Pi so it is a bit cheaper than the CCGX for instance.

Some of the muliplus II's now come with GX functionality built-in (this is what I thought you had on your list).

So you can have a standard MP-II with an external GX device,

or a MP-II with built-in GX device.

Functionality between all the different ways of having GX should roughly be the same between all the different options but price and number of different "loose" components will differ

Edited by introverter
smiley

Well, if the CGX is the Cerbo GX, I'm going to be quite jealous. I wish I knew about the Cerbo before I got my Venus. 😅

5 hours ago, Ajdebeer132 said:

Yeah it isn't, but you are getting a true "hybrid" inverter. The flexibility around the setup is also quite amazing in my layman's opinion. Have Jaco been able to help you out with the speccing and parts?

4 hours ago, introverter said:

click my heels twice

There is no place like home, there is... oh... hi there!

4 hours ago, introverter said:

Other than the potential risk of SD card failures I do not know if the Pi based version has any risk compared to having the GX screen or if the GX adds something that the Pi version does not have

Rpi has no CAN-bus port, so a bit of a bummer if you want to monitor them Pylontechs. There's enough goodies on the SD-card to get an MCP2515 interface going, but the long and the short of it is that once you bought  the mk3-usb (because that's not include with the Pi, it is with the others), and the CAN-bus interface, some USB VE.Direct cables, and a neat case for the Pi, you're usually not far off 3k or so in costs. A Venus-GX starts to look pretty compelling at that point.

4 hours ago, Ajdebeer132 said:

Indeed, the Bluetooth part isn't that important if you have the GX. No need to look in both places either (even if you do have the bluetooth variant). The Bluetooth variant has a bit of a newer processor, and it makes firmware updates really easy, but there is really nothing wrong with the BlueSolar. The 150/45 and up are based on a slightly newer platform, but again, I have a two 150/35's and there's nothing wrong with them, they work just fine (and they are much cheaper).

3 hours ago, jykenmynie said:

Is this the colour control GX?

GX-device is Victron lingo for whatever control unit you have installed. There are about 7 you can choose from, the CCGX, Venus-GX, Cerbo-GX, Maxi-GX, Octo-GX, the Raspberry Pi and the one built into the Multiplus-GX inverters. Now for interest sake, the Venus-GX and the Octo-GX is the same basic unit (based around a beaglebone black), and the Maxi-GX and the Multiplus-GX units use the same nanopi based quad-core board. The CCGX is the oldest unit (and it is slow... 600Mhz, single-core ARM chip, off-chip DDR2 RAM), and also the most expensive. Get the Cerbo if budget allows, and the Venus-GX if not.

3 minutes ago, jykenmynie said:

Yeah it isn't, but you are getting a true "hybrid" inverter. The flexibility around the setup is also quite amazing in my layman's opinion. Have Jaco been able to help you out with the speccing and parts?

Yeah, that's something I said before. The trouble isn't that the Victron units are so expensive. Compared to Outback and SMA they are cheap! Even compared to Goodwe it's only about 20% more expensive. If you consider the full spectrum, the issue isn't that one brand is disproportionately expensive... it is that the Axpert/clones are disproportionately cheap 🙂

The reason you need to compare it to the Goodwe, is because that i also a hybrid. That is apples for apples.