Sunsynk 8kw new installation

1 hour ago, lancelot said:

Do any of you have similar import of power from the grid on your Sunsynk? I set the inverter to draw 100W from the grid all the time (3 fase Conlog Smart meter from Tshwane). On reviewing the graphs I get random spikes of power pull from grid, while batteries are still charged. It's just a small amount but still perplexing.

I also witnessed a few times that (max 180w) got pushed back twice during the day, my meter did not trip which is a surprise based on experience of other users on this forum.

1058341774_Gridpower.thumb.JPG.6bde68591c1a90c301b0c9e2a19f07ed.JPGUsage.thumb.JPG.95095637d5e999de885a1421ba86af46.JPG

Yes, I draw a constant 10W from the grid, this is to keep it in sync and allow power draw as and when it is needed (note the 120W spike, because I decided to day to set it to not draw from battery):

But no feed into the grid. Is your CT coil correctly installed? Does it perhaps show a negative value? Can you post a pic of the Sunsynk summary screen?

Grid use.JPG

Edited by YellowTapemeasure

Attached two picture of the screen taken minutes apart. Weirdly the one shows a positive value of 114w and the other a negative value of 176w, I don't understand, arrow on CT  is pointing towards grid.

I extended the CT wire by about 2m, will it make a difference if the added wire is not twisted?

IMG_2151.jpg

IMG_2152.jpg

1 hour ago, lancelot said:

Attached two picture of the screen taken minutes apart. Weirdly the one shows a positive value of 114w and the other a negative value of 176w, I don't understand, arrow on CT  is pointing towards grid.

I extended the CT wire by about 2m, will it make a difference if the added wire is not twisted?

IMG_2151.jpg

IMG_2152.jpg

A negative value means it is installed the wrong way, or in the wrong place, I would suggest reversing it, and monitor. If extending, I would also use the same type of wire and ensure that it has twists (in the same direction as the original). This should prevent feeding back to the grid.

The reason why it is drawing from the grid is that it needs to draw from somewhere to power sudden loads (while the MPPTs play catchup.). It could be from battery, but if you are using the timer (in the system mode screen) and battery set to 100% SoC, then it will draw a burst from grid.

Thx for sharing the training manual, interesting reading. I changed the extension CT cable yesterday to a twisted pair, so far today I did not have any negative Grid power, holding thumbs.

I still get the weird jumps in Grid Power see blue line on graph, (only about 300w for a few minutes, 2 or 3 times a day) My timer is set to 30% SOC on all timers, inverter set to draw 100w from grid and battery is over 60% when this occur with plenty of PV and it does not necessarily happen when consumption is peaking. Anybody getting similar peaks?

Another thing to keep in mind on a new installation is placement of the Inverter, the 3 fans are louder than I expected, I can  hear it from 10m away. It switched on and off but runs when PV or load is running high.

Capture.JPG

I just want to confirm this. I want the inverter to start using grid power when the batteries are down to 30% SOC, not to charge batteries just to power the loads until PV charge the batteries over 30% again. I have set "Shut Down" in the Battery menu at 20% SOC (which will only happen if the grid is down).

Is the way to do that - In system mode set SOC 30% and tick Charge from Grid on all timers? 

34 minutes ago, lancelot said:

I just want to confirm this. I want the inverter to start using grid power when the batteries are down to 30% SOC, not to charge batteries just to power the loads until PV charge the batteries over 30% again. I have set "Shut Down" in the Battery menu at 20% SOC (which will only happen if the grid is down).

Is the way to do that - In system mode set SOC 30% and tick Charge from Grid on all timers? 

Yes. But you only need to tick the timed event, not all timers.

OK but I want the battery never to go below 30% if grid is available so that will be all blocks ticked.

I though doing that will let the inverter use the grid to charge the battery and then draw again from battery to power loads which will be not very efficient. But reading through the training manual it states that the inverter can only do one thing at a time, either charge the battery using the inverter or discharge the battery. So I guess that means it uses the grid directly to power loads when battery is under the set SOC without any efficiency losses while also charging the battery.

The inverter will try not to let the battery level go below the target SOC.

If the battery level does drop to the target SOC, then it will power the loads from the grid instead (leaving the battery idle at the target SOC).

If grid power is now lost, it will start discharging the battery until the low voltage cut-off point.

If the grid comes back on, then loads with switch back to grid. Additionally, if the 'charge from grid' checkbox is ticked, then it will charge the battery from grid back up to the minimum SOC.

5 hours ago, Vassen said:

If you want to stop using the batteries at 30%, then you set that time and untick grid charge. 

if you see my config below, between 01:00 to 05:00 it will use battery until the battery soc drops to 50%. If battery get to 50%, then it will switch to grid. 

From 05:00 to 12:45, it will again use battery until the battery drops to 30%. 

From 15:00 to 21:00, it will use battery until battery reaches 95%. 

The only time I charge from grid is at 21:00 and it will charge the batteries up to 50%. This is in case it was very overcast and solar was not able to charge the batteries. 

BC60DD4F-1B00-48D4-8C4E-14BC6E9B2B68.jpeg

Why is "Gen" ticked?

I changed my value of continuous draw from the grid from 100w to 50w, the amplitude of the Grid Power spikes decreased consideribly, but still got 2 negative spikes (very small) this morning.(second pic)

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Edited by lancelot