SunSynk - Inverter Monitoring

Bloubul7

@kellerzaI finally got around to replacing Bloubul's original NR flows and custom HA entities with your Sunsynk add-on. One thing I'm not quiet figuring out is that it only added PV1 sensors, but not any sensors for my second PV2 array. I went through the documentation on your GitHub repo, but cannot find any reason there. I'm sure I'm just doing something stupid, but hope you can guide me in the right direction?

30 minutes ago, JuanH said:

@kellerzaI finally got around to replacing Bloubul's original NR flows and custom HA entities with your Sunsynk add-on. One thing I'm not quiet figuring out is that it only added PV1 sensors, but not any sensors for my second PV2 array. I went through the documentation on your GitHub repo, but cannot find any reason there. I'm sure I'm just doing something stupid, but hope you can guide me in the right direction?

`pv2_power` ?

https://kellerza.github.io/sunsynk/reference/definitions#single-phase-inverter-sensor-definitions

the docs might need some rearrangement, since I added the “groups” at the top

3 minutes ago, kellerza said:

@JuanH did you manage to get it working?

updated the docs link shared earlier- so hopefully a bit clearer

Not yet, I looked at the link you shared the other day, and just ended up feeling real dumb 😅

I'll look at the updated docs when I get home this evening to see if I can figure it out.

57 minutes ago, kellerza said:

This is the definition for the sensor “pv2_power” or “PV2 Power”… they are all the same

https://github.com/kellerza/sunsynk/blob/main/src/sunsynk/definitions.py#L81

Sensor(187, "PV2 power", WATT, -1),

Have a look at the definitions.py file and simply use any name you see in there

This is where I am scared to sound dumb now... do I edit the py file before installing it? 

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all, I have a system setup with parallel Deye SUN-12K-SG04LP3-AU inverters, and want to be able to 'force charge' from the grid to the battery based on certain events. I've tried setting register 229 'Grid Charging Start capacity point' (from document v118) to a value above the current Battery SoC amount, but it doesn't seem to start charging the battery from the grid, so what do I need to do to get it to force charge from the grid? (Currently, Using Node-Red, networked to a PUSR-N520 wired to pins 1/A+ and 2/B-, sending unsigned16) for the Battery SoC, function code 0x10, and unitID=1 (as matched to the master inverter), but no luck. Are there any other settings that I need to check /verify or write into to force charge the battery?

Edited by samos

Hey all, I have a system setup with parallel Deye SUN-12K-SG04LP3-AU inverters, and want to be able to 'force charge' from the grid to the battery based on certain events. I've tried setting register 229 'Grid Charging Start capacity point' (from document v118) to a value above the current Battery SoC amount, but it doesn't seem to start charging the battery from the grid, so what do I need to do to get it to force charge from the grid? (Currently, Using Node-Red, networked to a PUSR-N520 wired to pins 1/A+ and 2/B-, sending unsigned16) for the Battery SoC, function code 0x10, and unitID=1 (as matched to the master inverter), but no luck. Are there any other settings that I need to check /verify or write into to force charge the battery?

I think that you will need to write a 1 back to Modbus register 234 to change the menu option remotely

image.thumb.png.d1471e22f5382001ba2ca6db673340cb.png

Question @samos . If you tick the box in the menu does it charge from the generator? 

Is the grid considered to be the generator? (Sorry I'm a little confused by your question - but maybe it was a typo???)

It would appear like / feel like I need to set some more registers sequentially after 229, such as these below, but since there's no valid values range and textual description, I'm a little hesitant to do so..

image.thumb.png.366e6f4d3eac9f04ef9c42de06b77990.png

Edited by samos
added pic for more context

Is the grid considered to be the generator? (Sorry I'm a little confused by your question - but maybe it was a typo???)

It would appear like / feel like I need to set some more registers sequentially after 229, such as these below, but since there's no valid values range and textual description, I'm a little hesitant to do so..

Sorry, crossed wires, I didn't read your question properly and had been dealing with helping someone to get their generator working and there is a box to force the generator to charge.

@samos Do you want to the batteries to charge up from the grid to 100%? 

If so, I think that the easiest may just be to untick the "time of use" on the System Mode screen and check that you have Grid Charge in your battery settings enabled.

Should then charge the battery up to 100% and  keep it there unless the grid goes off, will then recharge it when the grid comes back up again.  

Could be this one

image.thumb.png.7a53c5ba5dc2c2d1931c810eb000919a.png

and maybe these ones. 

image.thumb.png.51b5abbcac7a3163f7fbcf6b7af97f96.png

Would read the values, change them manually on the inverter and then read them again and check if the values change

What I have done is to set up different timetables in Node Red variables.  When loadshedding is detected through the API (eskomsepush) then a flow would change the battery charge points in relation to the set timetables.  Different settings set up for different loadshedding stages.

Considering that this will need to be 'pure node red' I will need assistance in getting to the exact sequence of registers to check and write into to achieve. This is not intended to be as 'set and forget' based on time of use via the control panel, but instead the intention is to be able to dynamically force the charging of the connected batteries by sending the value stored the registers that I'm after, based on events that are from outside of the inverter (and are known in node-red). To make it more fun, the system is remote, and so it is not easy to access the control panel, play, and then check with fast iterations - it needs a site visit to do so... My node red is remotely accessible though....

So with these registers above that you mention @Sc00bs have you done that before? / is it known to work...

Considering that this will need to be 'pure node red' I will need assistance in getting to the exact sequence of registers to check and write into to achieve. This is not intended to be as 'set and forget' based on time of use via the control panel, but instead the intention is to be able to dynamically force the charging of the connected batteries by sending the value stored the registers that I'm after, based on events that are from outside of the inverter (and are known in node-red). To make it more fun, the system is remote, and so it is not easy to access the control panel, play, and then check with fast iterations - it needs a site visit to do so... My node red is remotely accessible though....

So with these registers above that you mention @Sc00bs have you done that before? / is it known to work...

I will share my Node Red flows to do this over the weekend.  Currently in Germany and don't have access to my server

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm new to the monitoring world and decided to use the jacauc/SunSynk-NodeRed method along with a pure Node Red solution (I feel there's too many updates to HA almost every second day so I'll lose data during those reboot times) to log the various parameters to influxdb (eventually). I installed a base OS on a Raspberry PI 3B I had in the drawer, installed node-red and all the required modules, did the configuration and wiring (using https://www.robotics.org.za/communication-wireless-Industrial/RS485-devices/RS485-USB/W17286) and hooked it to the first inverter. When I saw the influx and mqtt error messages in debug window I removed those links and replaced them with a debug node and for a while I got data being written to the debug window. But then it timed out and could never reconnect again, regardless of how many times I restarted the flow or node-red. Eventually I stopped node-red, removed the module (rmmod) and activated it again (modprobe) and started node-red again and again I got debugging. But then I noticed whenever I did anything else on the PI, eg. attempt to install influxdb, the "locked-up" timeouts were back. I also noticed that the plant info got screwy (missing and/or delayed data) on https://sunsynk.net/plants/overview/. Now it's entirely possible that it's simply one of those days where the Sunsynk data centres are running a little behind or I was the cause of this. Hence my questions:

• is access via modbus that flaky?
  • is it me causing my Sunsynk plant data issues?
  • is the PI 3B maybe a little bit too slow and I should rather opt for a PI 4 or something faster?
  • anything else I should be wary of whilst trying this route?

Many thanks.

Edited by p_i
typos

Hi @p_i

Apparently there can be issues with the RS485 if you are using a 5V adapter (the one you linked is 5v) as the RS485 is 3.3V. 

The Sunsynk servers have been very flaky for the last few days, I have seen loads of complaints on the FB groups so I wouldn't take it personally. 

I would try a Home Assistant install with the KellerZa integration and see how that works with your hardware. 

When I first started doing this stuff I ran Home Assistant with Node Red and the Bloubul7 flows on a Raspberry Pi2 (was pushing it I know), but as long as you aren't trying to give the CPU too much to do you should be ok with a Pi3. 

I must say the RPI3b had the odds stacked against it: old microsd card which can only do 10mb/s (I tested it after my first attempt) and running off a power bank since I was too lazy to run an electrical extension to it. Attempt #2: Raspberry PI4 running off a much newer microsd card (at least 2-3 times as fast as the one in the RPI3b) but running off the same power bank. Some time ago I installed Home Assistant, Node-Red, InfluxDB, Grafana and a few other odds and ends on it and was experimenting with various things there. So I dropped the jacauc/SunSynk-NodeRed flows into the HA Node-Red container and I'm now sending monitoring stuff to InfluxDB. I've also started looking at Grafana and it seems it's going to take a while, especially after struggling to even make the InfluxDB connection from there since it's expecting the-actual-IP:8086 and not localhost:8086. I'm still seeing the odd timeout every minute or 2: "Modbus Failure On State sending Get More About It By Logging" followed by "Error: Timed out". However, unlike my first attempt it actually reconnects and continues to send data to InfluxDB. Any idea where I can start hunting for this? I've already bumped up the modbus timeout to 2s on the ModBusRead screen. I also assume I need two RS485 devices if I want to monitor both my inverters?

Edited by p_i

1 hour ago, Sc00bs said:

@p_i Wouldn't buy a RPi4, rather get a second hand Intel Nuc or similar mini pc, you can pick them up for less than you would pay for a RPi4 and they have loads more power and usually come with an SSD. 

I didn't buy the RPI4 now; I already had it. I scratched through my pile of mini computers and found one that has wifi (no LAN close to inverters), a mintbox mini pro. I'm now doing a fresh OS installation on that and will then try node-red native again. I might also replace the spinning disk I suspect is in there with SSD or faster, once I have a proof of concept. And yes, I'll have to stop being lazy and run an electrical extension cord since this one will not be able to run from my Romoss. In fact, I should probably install that new electrical outlet close to the inverter like I planned...

On 2023/11/06 at 5:31 PM, Sc00bs said:

Apparently there can be issues with the RS485 if you are using a 5V adapter (the one you linked is 5v) as the RS485 is 3.3V.

Which one would you recommend then? It seems the one I have is out of stock and I need a second one...