Deye Consumption with Shoto Battery

Salie

My installer completed my installation over the weekend. Tomorrow would be the last day he is coming and I raised some questions with him but I am not totally sure about the setup.

1)He plugged the battery comms cable on CAN and battery setting on "Use Batt %" and not lithium(Alarm goes off when trying to change to lithium-tried changing to Rs485A with no luck). Is this correct? I saw on another post that a user did in actual fact connect the deye to the shoto battery. 

2) My usage shown on the touch screen only shows usage on the backup load and not overall house usage. Is this what it suppose to do? What is potentially wrong here as I see when the oven, stove or geyser is switched on nothing happens with the usage on the touch screen (Only the backup load changes if for example i plug a iron in on one of those plugs) Any assistance would be appreciated as I am completely a newby. Is it not possible to view the total house usage?

I’m not familiar with Shoto batteries but according to this it seems you won’t be able to use comms with the BMS.

As for the house power consumption you should definitely be able to see the consumption. Unless you have a very specific requirement where the system is used as backup only etc. It sounds like the CT coil wasn’t installed the right way around or at all. If you don’t see any non-backup load, your grid-tie function won’t work. On the home screen, tap on the grid icon and make sure the “CT” value goes up when you power a heavy appliance (e.g. kettle) that is not on the backup Deye’s backup port.

Are AC, DC and Normal LEDs all on?  

Edited by recre8

Thank you for response. Done as you suggested. The CT definitely increased when I switched the kettle on. Jumped from 111W to 1014W. My LD stayed constant and did not change much through this process. Same goes for my geyser when it switches on. Is this normal? I really would like to see the total power the house is using. Is there somewhere else I can see this or does the electrician have to change something with the setup?

25 minutes ago, Salie said:

Thank you for response. Done as you suggested. The CT definitely increased when I switched the kettle on. Jumped from 111W to 1014W. My LD stayed constant and did not change much through this process. Same goes for my geyser when it switches on. Is this normal? I really would like to see the total power the house is using. Is there somewhere else I can see this or does the electrician have to change something with the setup?

I think both the Deye and sunsynk only logs consumption going through the inverter and not the data from the CT coil. The CT coil is only used to make sure there is no feedback to grid. Consumption would loads on the inverter + aux output + any current going back to the non essential loads to zero the meter. 

I have my whole house on the inverter so don't have this issue. 

56 minutes ago, Salie said:

I had this exact problem. My inveter was only showing me essential loads and not the whole home usage (stove and oven) off the essential. I was on the phone with Sunsynk tech SA and got this sorted! I will send the pictures of the screen that fixed it. It was about 3 settings. Now it's showing total . I'm very happy. Will post them up in the morning. Not to worry.

Sincerely

Jason

10 hours ago, Energy-Jason said:

I had this exact problem. My inveter was only showing me essential loads and not the whole home usage (stove and oven) off the essential. I was on the phone with Sunsynk tech SA and got this sorted! I will send the pictures of the screen that fixed it. It was about 3 settings. Now it's showing total . I'm very happy. Will post them up in the morning. Not to worry.

Sincerely

Jason

Thanks Jason. Was worried that I could not track my peaks in the house

4 hours ago, Energy-Jason said:

Great okay so this is what Sunsynk SA helped me. DRMs off.

CT ratio 2000

And priority load ON

Let me know how it goes.

20210330_120734.jpg

20210330_120713.jpg

20210330_120618.jpg

Unfortunately the Deye's interface is quite different and I was not able to get the CT Ratio. Able to locate DRM. Which one is the CT Ratio and Priority load?

index2.jpg

index3.jpg

index4.jpg

index1.jpg

@Salie when you switch on a load that isn’t on the backup port, like the geyser or oven, does the CT value change accordingly on the display? You mentioned a kettle in a prior post, but was this kettle plugged into a socket that is powered by the inverter backup port?

Since you are getting CT values, it sounds like the installer put the CT around the wrong cable. It should be on the Eskom mains live cable, but by the sound of it, he placed it on the inverter backup or grid port live cable. 

Edited by recre8

13 hours ago, recre8 said:

@Salie when you switch on a load that isn’t on the backup port, like the geyser or oven, does the CT value change accordingly on the display? You mentioned a kettle in a prior post, but was this kettle plugged into a socket that is powered by the inverter backup port?

Since you are getting CT values, it sounds like the installer put the CT around the wrong cable. It should be on the Eskom mains live cable, but by the sound of it, he placed it on the inverter backup or grid port live cable. 

Hi. The kettle is not on the backup port. Should the CT values be negative?

30 minutes ago, Salie said:

Hi. The kettle is not on the backup port. Should the CT values be negative?

If CT value is negative it is the wrong way around. 

You could swap the CT wires in the inverter or turn the CT around. 

For those responding thanks a lot. FYI- The installer is convinced that the shoto battery is compatible. They replacing the existing battery today. I will inform you if it works. Will also follow up why I am not picking up the house full load

Hi. I can confirm the battery worked and is communicating.  Even though an alarm sounds from the inverter when it is just connected and changed to the lithium setting, it eventually stops and starts communicating. @AchmatYou were correct the CT was connected the wrong way. Once it was turned around I could see the full load.  So I am sorted now.  Thanks for the advice. 

• 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 2021/09/28 at 4:29 PM, SuperStan said:

Hi Salie,

Is your shoto battery the 4.8kwh 15 cell or 5.1kwh 16 cell? Apparently the 5.1's coms work with the Deye, but not the 4.8.

Think it is the 5.1. See pic16354459354414751793575871898369.thumb.jpg.d9f12eccf6a9b50e2d3b1cbca003f0a9.jpg