How I started with my small system for loadshedding;

3 minutes ago, phalaborwa said:

How to check a solar panel with a multi-meter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh6hzMb69gY 

@phalaborwa This has been a most interesting chat topic. Who would have known. Thank you for your input. Down the line this will be used for some advise and use. If there is  a passion it  spills over and solar is out passion.

10 hours ago, RyanG said:

@phalaborwa This has been a most interesting chat topic. Who would have known. Thank you for your input. Down the line this will be used for some advise and use. If there is  a passion it  spills over and solar is out passion.

Yes RyanG. I believe many more people with low budgets(like me), are gonna start looking to go the "chinese" way for small, really small solar systems and hopefully our input here will help them.

I was listening to a video yesterday where the guy(I think it was Ted Blom)..>>( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uTAlmVRkX4 ) explains that Escom is going down the tubes quite fast. 

Many years ago when all the problems started, the government was prepared to dish out light emitting diode lights(Led's) to enable all households to reduce consumption(we were using the old 100watt bulbs at that time) and I do not know why they do not assist households today, with, lets say R10000.00 to enable each household to reduce consumption with a very small "chinese" system like mine. 

Can you imagine how many Megawatts Escom will have to spare/save monthly.🤨

Edited by phalaborwa

5 hours ago, phalaborwa said:

Yes RyanG. I believe many more people with low budgets(like me), are gonna start looking to go the "chinese" way for small, really small solar systems and hopefully our input here will help them.

I was listening to a video yesterday where the guy(I think it was Ted Blom)..>>( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uTAlmVRkX4 ) explains that Escom is going down the tubes quite fast. 

Many years ago when all the problems started, the government was prepared to dish out light emitting diode lights(Led's) to enable all households to reduce consumption(we were using the old 100watt bulbs at that time) and I do not know why they do not assist households today, with, lets say R10000.00 to enable each household to reduce consumption with a very small "chinese" system like mine. 

Can you imagine how many Megawatts Escom will have to spare/save monthly.🤨

I built my home made battery charger to help my people that work at my house. I gave them each a 7AH battery and a china mall R35 LED light. I also gave them a LPG gas single cooker with bottle.Bring back the battery and I give you a charged one. I bought a number of these batteries and solar charge them. The cost was around R240 and R35. Its changed their life. No more paraffin.Good light for at least a week or two. Now imagine Eskom had a few of these power points. You bring me a 7AH and I give you a charged one for say R5.00. And I charge it with solar. You will change the life of 10 Million people, Instead they squandered Billions on cars, houses, overseas holidays etc etc. R275 to change a persons life??? 

3 hours ago, RyanG said:

I built my home made battery charger to help my people that work at my house. I gave them each a 7AH battery and a china mall R35 LED light. I also gave them a LPG gas single cooker with bottle.Bring back the battery and I give you a charged one. I bought a number of these batteries and solar charge them. The cost was around R240 and R35. Its changed their life. No more paraffin.Good light for at least a week or two. Now imagine Eskom had a few of these power points. You bring me a 7AH and I give you a charged one for say R5.00. And I charge it with solar. You will change the life of 10 Million people, Instead they squandered Billions on cars, houses, overseas holidays etc etc. R275 to change a persons life??? 

Fantastic idea/project of yours RyanG !

If only the government were to demonstrate their talk, talk , talk about helping their people by implementing such an idea as yours. 👍  Lovely!

If I am not using the Load output of the Charge controller...............?

Last night laying in bed I came to the conclusion that the setting on/in the charge controller (Over discharge), ain't gonna save my battery bank unless I use its(charge controller's) load output terminals.

Is this assumption correct?

Maybe the older hands on this forum can give some advice.🥺

12 hours ago, phalaborwa said:

If I am not using the Load output of the Charge controller...............?

Last night laying in bed I came to the conclusion that the setting on/in the charge controller (Over discharge), ain't gonna save my battery bank unless I use its(charge controller's) load output terminals.

Is this assumption correct?

Maybe the older hands on this forum can give some advice.🥺

5eaibq.jpg

i don't want to be the bedwetter, but that Osaka solar controller is horrible. Basically just switch on and off on voltage of the battery. I opened mine and was very disappointed. Also no screen and settings.'

This one is not too bad for the price: https://www.robotics.org.za/index.php?route=product/search&search=sola

From where are you?

Edited by jlr

2 hours ago, jlr said:

i don't want to be the bedwetter, but that Osaka solar controller is horrible. Basically just switch on and off on voltage of the battery. I opened mine and was very disappointed. Also no screen and settings.'

This one is not too bad for the price: https://www.robotics.org.za/index.php?route=product/search&search=sola

From where are you?

One? There are 56 products in that search.

A thought on your inter-battery connections....

Flatten 2 or 3 pieces of 1/2" copper pipe, drill them to suit your terminal bolt sizes, and use 2 or 3 flattened pieces sandwiched between each battery as interconnects... Unless I am mistaken, it looks like a piece of galv plated mild steel pipe that you are using there in the mix(if it is, replace it with copper)... I also agree that the interconnect wires are a bit thin... I, personally, steer clear of crimped ends as well, anywhere near any possible corrosive vapours where it comes to batteries particularly... They are quick to put together, but should any corrosion take place, they fail under high current and are a pain to replace later (read that as during a blackout when 3 of 4 batteries are still charged but the one that is solidly connected to your inverter is flat)...

Don't forget to add a protection breaker at each battery positive to allow it to be isolated from the bank .....

There are many myths surrounding battery interconnections, best practice is ultimately to star connect them with equal length/thickness cables, the goal is to have terminal voltages as close as is possible under charge and load... As long as chemistry matches, you should be ok...

Cheers

E

2 hours ago, EdDee said:

A thought on your inter-battery connections....

Flatten 2 or 3 pieces of 1/2" copper pipe, drill them to suit your terminal bolt sizes, and use 2 or 3 flattened pieces sandwiched between each battery as interconnects... Unless I am mistaken, it looks like a piece of galv plated mild steel pipe that you are using there in the mix(if it is, replace it with copper)... I also agree that the interconnect wires are a bit thin... I, personally, steer clear of crimped ends as well, anywhere near any possible corrosive vapours where it comes to batteries particularly... They are quick to put together, but should any corrosion take place, they fail under high current and are a pain to replace later (read that as during a blackout when 3 of 4 batteries are still charged but the one that is solidly connected to your inverter is flat)...

Don't forget to add a protection breaker at each battery positive to allow it to be isolated from the bank .....

There are many myths surrounding battery interconnections, best practice is ultimately to star connect them with equal length/thickness cables, the goal is to have terminal voltages as close as is possible under charge and load... As long as chemistry matches, you should be ok...

Cheers

E

EdDee, I finished the job and as soon as I connected up all the panels and two controllers, it took an hour to FULLY charge the battery-bank.

Vassen was concerned about my system safety, but I now have two panels running through a 20amp circuit breaker and each controller battery output going through a 40amp breaker.(I attach a picture)  Please excuse the old breakers, as I make do with what I've got before purchasing.

You say ; " I, personally, steer clear of crimped ends"..........> What I've done is to use heavy duty solder inside the crimped lugs.

".. it looks like a piece of galv plated mild steel pipe that you are using there in the mix..",  please show where you are referring to.

Thanks so far for your inputs/time.

Rob.

IMG-20210624-00138.jpg

Hi Rob

Apologies... 60yr old eyes playing tricks on me....

screenshot-powerforum_co.za-2021_06.24-15_52_32.png.3008c9756fec4f36324751d8304b6dab.png

On closer inspection I see that its a big croc clip to your charger or inverter... Sorry for the false alarm! (But then again, those damn things have caused me more trouble than they are worth in burnt contacts and terminals...) I also steer clear of them because on the crappy chinesium ones, there is seldom a copper strap between the two sections... A bit of bad contact bad luck and the tensioner spring becomes a nice heater, often throwing a good few balls of red hot molten steel onto things as it turns into an involuntary fuse...

Regarding trip switches, I know I am harping on about you having a trip per battery, but trust me, it makes a mess when a battery casing decides to pop.... I had one pop here a couple years back, I had the charger hooked to a jump start battery and left the jumper cables hooked to my tractor battery..... All was well for a couple of hours, no big sparks when I hooked up the jumper cables/charger to the tractor.... Left it to charge and then the tractor battery kinda went orbital and tossed pieces of its casing in about a 10m radius, 5m radius of which got a nice atomised coat of sulphuric...... A right PITA to clean up....

Cheers

E

1 hour ago, EdDee said:

Hi Rob

Apologies... 60yr old eyes playing tricks on me....

screenshot-powerforum_co.za-2021_06.24-15_52_32.png.3008c9756fec4f36324751d8304b6dab.png

On closer inspection I see that its a big croc clip to your charger or inverter... Sorry for the false alarm! (But then again, those damn things have caused me more trouble than they are worth in burnt contacts and terminals...) I also steer clear of them because on the crappy chinesium ones, there is seldom a copper strap between the two sections... A bit of bad contact bad luck and the tensioner spring becomes a nice heater, often throwing a good few balls of red hot molten steel onto things as it turns into an involuntary fuse...

Regarding trip switches, I know I am harping on about you having a trip per battery, but trust me, it makes a mess when a battery casing decides to pop.... I had one pop here a couple years back, I had the charger hooked to a jump start battery and left the jumper cables hooked to my tractor battery..... All was well for a couple of hours, no big sparks when I hooked up the jumper cables/charger to the tractor.... Left it to charge and then the tractor battery kinda went orbital and tossed pieces of its casing in about a 10m radius, 5m radius of which got a nice atomised coat of sulphuric...... A right PITA to clean up....

Cheers

Yes EdDee, I should try and get hold of a proper set of welding clips, they are designed for decent conduction.

"..it makes a mess when a battery casing decides to pop.." many years ago, the father of a friend of mine died in his garage with a battery explosion !  I never heard exactly what happened.  Terrible to have to go that way.

Edited by phalaborwa

Strange you should mention the demise the chap... My stepfather blew himself up quite badly(but survived) many, many years ago in the UK - He was arc welding using a battery bank for power and being the UK, shed doors were closed for the cold, this allowed a bit of hydrogen build up apparently, and a spectacular bang later....

E

1 hour ago, EdDee said:

Strange you should mention the demise the chap... My stepfather blew himself up quite badly(but survived) many, many years ago in the UK - He was arc welding using a battery bank for power and being the UK, shed doors were closed for the cold, this allowed a bit of hydrogen build up apparently, and a spectacular bang later....

E

🙄

OK, so lets take a look at the cost of my system, now that its up and running:

2x150Watt panels...............R3000.00

2x400Watt panels..............R4000.00

1X MPPT Controller..............R2000.00.......

1X PWM Controller..............R310.00

2X80Amp batteries.............R3200.00

2X100Amp batteries...........R4000.00

Cabling..................................R400.00

Chines inverter......................R5000.00......

Labour....................................R0.00 (The old man charged me nothing) 😜

Total = R21510.00

2 hours ago, Limpopo said:

OK, so lets take a look at the cost of my system, now that its up and running:

2x150Watt panels...............R3000.00

2x400Watt panels..............R4000.00

1X MPPT Controller..............R2000.00.......

1X PWM Controller..............R310.00

2X80Amp batteries.............R3200.00

2X100Amp batteries...........R4000.00

Cabling..................................R400.00

Chines inverter......................R5000.00......

Labour....................................R0.00 (The old man charged me nothing) 😜

Total = R21510.00

Just finished pumping 1250 litre water continiously for half an hour and very pleased with performance (heat-wise).