Jump to content

Shoto battery problems endless!


Justice MM

Recommended Posts

Can you plse assist. 

 

I have two sites where I have connected a DEYE inverter with two 5.12-kW Shoto LFP batteries and another site I have connected the Growatt inverter with same two batteries

 

On site No.1 and 2 (DEYE inverter)

The batteries are connected parallel, and communicate the inverter through a CAN system. When I connected the plant in September everything was working well. However, about 2-3 weeks ago, the customer called and said that the 2nd battery is now off. I went there to check and indeed the battery was off. I tried to reset it and was not successful. I increased the charge current to 100-A and still no success. Can you please advise.

On site No.3 (Growatt inverter)

From onset the CAN communication did not work. I eventually used the voltages. Everything worked well for a few weeks, and later I discovered that the same thing has happened. Battery No.1 is now dead and cant be revived,

 

From my observation is that I may have set the charging current too low in all sites, and eventually batteries went dry. The question is how can I revive the batteris. I happened to visit a certain shop and they were showing me one charge that they say can resuscitate even a dead battery. I know there's a lot of questions and/or problems here but I would appreciate if anyone can assist where possible. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2021/11/11 at 10:18 AM, Justice MM said:

Can you plse assist. 

 

I have two sites where I have connected a DEYE inverter with two 5.12-kW Shoto LFP batteries and another site I have connected the Growatt inverter with same two batteries

 

On site No.1 and 2 (DEYE inverter)

The batteries are connected parallel, and communicate the inverter through a CAN system. When I connected the plant in September everything was working well. However, about 2-3 weeks ago, the customer called and said that the 2nd battery is now off. I went there to check and indeed the battery was off. I tried to reset it and was not successful. I increased the charge current to 100-A and still no success. Can you please advise.

On site No.3 (Growatt inverter)

From onset the CAN communication did not work. I eventually used the voltages. Everything worked well for a few weeks, and later I discovered that the same thing has happened. Battery No.1 is now dead and cant be revived,

 

From my observation is that I may have set the charging current too low in all sites, and eventually batteries went dry. The question is how can I revive the batteris. I happened to visit a certain shop and they were showing me one charge that they say can resuscitate even a dead battery. I know there's a lot of questions and/or problems here but I would appreciate if anyone can assist where possible. 

What about taking the batteries to the supplier and see if they could get out of sleep mode? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

This is exactly what has happened to my Shoto batteries. Everything worked fine for 3 months.

The first sign that things were not right came when I noticed one evening that the battery SOC was showing 0% on the Solarman app as well as they Deye's display, although the battery is configured to shut down at 20%

The next morning the battery started charging from 0% all the way to 100% as usual, but the same thing happed that evening, 0% SOC by 22:00.

My batteries are wall mounted so I had to get onto a stepladder to get a view of the battery's display.

The slave battery had its display LEDs lit, but the master was completely dead. 

My first port of call was to do a full system shutdown.  Flicked the cutover switch to Eskom only followed by switching off all the DC breakers then the Solar panel disconnect on the inverter and then die big green button on the side of the inverter.  I then continued to reset the batteries.  The slave looked to have reset, but nothing brings the master battery back to life.

My installer is still on holiday, so he cant help.  Any ideas?

Primary Battery2.jpg

Secondary Battery2.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I also noticed the missing grounding wire on one of the batteries.

It's ironic that the ungrounded battery is the working one. 

I will switch the rs485 wires around, but the fact that there is no light on the battery leads me to believe that this might now bring it back to life. 

 

How would you know if the batteries are talking to each other? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, TheoVogel said:

How would you know if the batteries are talking to each other? 

This something I've been wondering about as well.  Or if the inverter and batteries are talking to each other. What got me thinking was the claimed "Charging Curve: 3 Stages/Equalization" specifcation of the Deye invereter, but what I see in practise is straightline charging with a hard stop at 100%. The integration between Shoto and Deye / Sunsynk seems to be rather generic at best. 

Back to the original question, the manual seems to have the appropriate answer:

image.png.b87a8720f4c9b1453663870d64ef3c14.png

Edited by Scubadude
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

I can't confirm the validity of this statement. But according to my installer there was a bad batch of Shoto 5.12's that came into SA towards the end of last year. There has been numerous issues with this batch when using more than one battery where the one battery just dies like what myself and Justice MM experienced. 

These faulty batteries needs to have the BMS replaced. 

In my experience at least it seems like the master battery is one that dies. 

Should I have both batteries taken for the BMS issue or only the dead one?

I am going to take both in, hopefully load shedding or our normal weekly Roodepoort power outage doesn't make me regret getting both batteries looked at. 

@Justice MMdo you have any feedback on your Shoto issues? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@TheoVogel I had the same happen last week on my Deye / Shoto rig. SOC dropped from 50% to 0, then back to 100% but with only one battery working.  Both batteries were collected on Friday for a "firmware update" at the distributor, but the offending battery was returned with the warranty seal broken (plus scratched cover and damaged stickers for good measure).  Whatever they did seems to have worked, as I have working LEDs on both batteries for the first time.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2022/01/21 at 7:42 PM, TheoVogel said:

I can't confirm the validity of this statement. But according to my installer there was a bad batch of Shoto 5.12's that came into SA towards the end of last year. There has been numerous issues with this batch when using more than one battery where the one battery just dies like what myself and Justice MM experienced. 

These faulty batteries needs to have the BMS replaced. 

My solar guy said the same thing ... there was a batch from which "1 in 10" requires a "firmware update".  My failed (master) battery was made on 31 August 2021. 

Edited by Scubadude
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2x Shoto batteries dated 31 August 2021. Master showed as dead last week. Upon recommendation by supplier I disconnected both batteries and reset the master (by 2 minute reset press), and it seems to be behaving well now, as before. The next option was to return it to the supplier for BMS replacement. (Thanks to this discussion I was able to avoid that as a first option.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, LoodPyp said:

2x Shoto batteries dated 31 August 2021. Master showed as dead last week. Upon recommendation by supplier I disconnected both batteries and reset the master (by 2 minute reset press), and it seems to be behaving well now, as before. The next option was to return it to the supplier for BMS replacement. (Thanks to this discussion I was able to avoid that as a first option.)

Thanks for the info, I will definitely try that. Out of curiosity, who was the the supplier in your case? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, TheoVogel said:

Thanks for the info, I will definitely try that. Out of curiosity, who was the the supplier in your case? 

Supplied by Solar Panel Energy, Vanderbijlpark. (I had to travel some distance to actually get stock, but it was also well-priced.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

for shoto to know if its the bms if the run light is off and you check your soc on the solar man ap and if its spiking 100% then 0% its bms issue i change to bms so far on two different sites , december 2021 changed in march  22 2022 , 2nd site Jan 2022 changed 01 march 2022 

i dont like when this happens because customers think we giving faulty products . 
 

does anyone know where i can purchase some bms i need 6

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I recently contacted the battery supplier regarding a questionable BMS (different lights blinking at different times). His response was that if the BMS is problematic, the battery does not work - with no doubt after looking at the capacity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
On 2021/11/11 at 10:18 AM, Justice MM said:

Can you plse assist. 

 

I have two sites where I have connected a DEYE inverter with two 5.12-kW Shoto LFP batteries and another site I have connected the Growatt inverter with same two batteries

 

On site No.1 and 2 (DEYE inverter)

The batteries are connected parallel, and communicate the inverter through a CAN system. When I connected the plant in September everything was working well. However, about 2-3 weeks ago, the customer called and said that the 2nd battery is now off. I went there to check and indeed the battery was off. I tried to reset it and was not successful. I increased the charge current to 100-A and still no success. Can you please advise.

On site No.3 (Growatt inverter)

From onset the CAN communication did not work. I eventually used the voltages. Everything worked well for a few weeks, and later I discovered that the same thing has happened. Battery No.1 is now dead and cant be revived,

 

From my observation is that I may have set the charging current too low in all sites, and eventually batteries went dry. The question is how can I revive the batteris. I happened to visit a certain shop and they were showing me one charge that they say can resuscitate even a dead battery. I know there's a lot of questions and/or problems here but I would appreciate if anyone can assist where possible. 

Does anyone have a preferred charging current for these batteries?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2022/04/15 at 7:35 AM, TheoVogel said:

So I have my Shoto battery diode replaced.  It's a very small surface mount device. The one battery tests as 19v and my inverter refuses to charge it. Any idea on how to the voltage to 40 something? 

if its a situation of the bms refusing to charge because the volatge is to low

the risk of damaging the cells via overgarging when it's such a low v is slim

if you have the batteries accesable to measure voltage per cell, you could charge it directly ie bypasing the bms, monitor the individual voltage to make sure none opf them go to high if one does stop charging, if lucky and you can get the voltage high enough maybe the bms will come out of alrm mode

 

have not tried any of this shit on lifep04

 

i have revived some li-ion cells like this ie chargers would not charge them

used another cell to give it a jolt to lift its voltage not to long on the li-ion jump start as they can get hot

then i connect to charger and they charged

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...