Wind Turbine Installation

DeepBass9

So its up....
It is braked currently, so only turns slightly in the wind. If I let it run I can see it making 10-20V AC in a gusts of wind. I presume it has to get up to more than 48V before it starts charging?
up.jpg

Any updates... keen to see how things go...especially battery soc overnight.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

OK, done (mostly). I have connected everything up. It was a bit of a chore as I have some nice thick cable to use to go to the wind turbine, but the problem is it was buried as it used to go to a borehole pump, so I spent the morning unburying it.

The turbine spins nicely in the wind. In a light breeze it makes about 20V, and then in gusts up to 40V. I'm not sure if the battery is charging though? Does it need to get to above the battery voltage to charge? The turbine makes AC so surely the charge controller can step it up with a transformer?

I'll go and take some pics just now.

3 minutes ago, DeepBass9 said:

OK, done (mostly). I have connected everything up. It was a bit of a chore as I have some nice thick cable to use to go to the wind turbine, but the problem is it was buried as it used to go to a borehole pump, so I spent the morning unburying it.

The turbine spins nicely in the wind. In a light breeze it makes about 20V, and then in gusts up to 40V. I'm not sure if the battery is charging though? Does it need to get to above the battery voltage to charge? The turbine makes AC so surely the charge controller can step it up with a transformer?

I'll go and take some pics just now.

Sounds good. Yes, It will probably be trickle charging in low winds. What wind speed do you get at the moment? It is a big turbine so it needs good wind speed for proper charging. Add the extra pole length if it doesn't catch enough wind.

I just tested the amperage between the charge controller and the battery and it does charge a bit in the stronger gusts, I saw up to 5A briefly.

I'm looking for one of these to monitor the charging. Anyone know where you can buy one in Joburg (as in a physical shop)?

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/255620507/100A_DC_Digital_Multifunction_Power_Meter_Energy_Monitor_Module_Voltmeter_Ammet.html

zz.jpg

4 minutes ago, DeepBass9 said:

I just tested the amperage between the charge controller and the battery and it does charge a bit in the stronger gusts, I saw up to 5A briefly.

I'm looking for one of these to monitor the charging. Anyone know where you can buy one in Joburg (as in a physical shop)?

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/255620507/100A_DC_Digital_Multifunction_Power_Meter_Energy_Monitor_Module_Voltmeter_Ammet.html

zz.jpg

Aliexpress + DHL = happy days

6 minutes ago, DeepBass9 said:

You are probably getting 10km/h breeze with 20km/h gusts. When you are getting a constant 25 to 30km/h wind speed you will see that turbine charging at around 10 to 15A. Will also sound like there is a wolf on the koppie..

21 minutes ago, Johann1982 said:

You are probably getting 10km/h breeze with 20km/h gusts. When you are getting a constant 25 to 30km/h wind speed you will see that turbine charging at around 10 to 15A. Will also sound like there is a wolf on the koppie..

Probably something like that. If it gets stormy later there should be some stronger winds. 

Here's the final installation. It is spinning quite fast, the camera just froze it.

turb.jpg

zz.jpg

I could not find someone selling these of the shelve, all the guys I could find bring them in when you order it so it takes 4to6 weeks for delivery. I brought in a few similar units from China directly, it arrived 2 days ago, only started playing with them last night. You have to calibrate the unit for your voltage and expected current. But they surprised me with the functionality. Does a lot more than what I expected.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I can just hear it from my office. I can  hear why your neighbours complained though!

I have found a watt meter which I will pick up tomorrow, then I can see better what's going on : https://www.electromannsa.com/products/ft08-rc-150a-hight-precision-watt-meter I should then be able to then hear from the tone how much power its making!

From the video it looks like it will do the job, also records peak amps and watts which is useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt2quF5JoiA

I see now that the AC volts into the charge controller go up until they plateau at about 41VAC and at that point the tone of the generator changes. I can also see the battery volts tick up a bit so it is charging a bit in the stronger gusts. Anyway, when I have the watt meter tomorrow all will become clear.

30 minutes ago, DeepBass9 said:

I see now that the AC volts into the charge controller go up until they plateau at about 41VAC and at that point the tone of the generator changes. I can also see the battery volts tick up a bit so it is charging a bit in the stronger gusts. Anyway, when I have the watt meter tomorrow all will become clear.

So some dimly remember physics lecture and google reveal that the peak voltage is thoeretically 1.414 times the RMS AC voltage so the 40V AC has a peak of 56V which is what the battery voltage currently is. All makes some sort of sense now.

rect.jpg