My Attempt at Sunsynk Nodered MQTT Local Data Logging and Sending to Live Thingsboard Cloud Portal

WannabeSolarSparky

23 minutes ago, Halcyon said:

Thanks, what are the upfront and or monthly costs of using Nodered, Home assist and the things board?

Nodered is 100% free opensource
Home-Assistant is also 100% free opensource
Thingsboard is also 100% free on the opensource version
All 3 available to download openly from github.

The costs need to run those could vary.

My setup I run:
Nodered + Thingsboard on 1 single raspberry PI4 and a 1 terabyte external hdd + serial to usb adapter + serial to rs485 adapter.
Software - is all pretty much free + (some of your time to set all up)
Hardware - About R1000 to R1500 for the RPi4 depending where you can find one + about R800 for the external hdd

1 minute ago, WannabeSolarSparky said:

Yes, that will be possible, you can/should be able to use both, you would simply tell nodered to send the info to both :)

Thanks... don't want both and not too chuffed with home ass. don't know thingsboard, will check it out and if there's another option to node red, that would be the route I'd look into... maybe an 8266 or esp32 talking to RS485 an publishing via mqtt, if thats doable... hmmm too many new things to attempt to learn, we'll hopefully get there... from what I've seen so far, btw. node red becomes node dead, nothing wrong with the usb-rs485 adapter, restart flows and things continue... now with mbusd via a network connection, still node dead appears and needs a kick to become node red again... probably not more than 2 to 3 times a day, but too flakey, in my eyes...

19 minutes ago, Kalahari Meerkat said:

Thanks... don't want both and not too chuffed with home ass. don't know thingsboard, will check it out and if there's another option to node red, that would be the route I'd look into... maybe an 8266 or esp32 talking to RS485 an publishing via mqtt, if thats doable... hmmm too many new things to attempt to learn, we'll hopefully get there... from what I've seen so far, btw. node red becomes node dead, nothing wrong with the usb-rs485 adapter, restart flows and things continue... now with mbusd via a network connection, still node dead appears and needs a kick to become node red again... probably not more than 2 to 3 times a day, but too flakey, in my eyes...

I feel your pain with nodedead.
Have you had a look at my new post about setting up and running thingsboard locally instead of on/in the cloud?
Setup Guide Step 1 Here

I am going to post Step 2 tonight.
There are only the 2 steps :)

All in all this setup is very simple to use compared to HA, though nodered is still required as it does a dam good job reading the modbus data if you have the correct cables/converters. I am reading data continuously at 0.1 second intervals with no timeout issues at all.
I also have a clean shutdown and reboot routine for the PI4 which runs every 4 hours, that keeps everything nice and clean and have had no more nodered freezes for almost a week now.

26 minutes ago, Halcyon said:

My 5,5kw Sunsynk has a port labelled BMS485 and also one labelled RS485. My battery is using the BMS485 port. Will output on RS485 work fine for the local setup? 

I have previously tried that other port but had no luck with it. That was a few months ago before I found a new way to connect, maybe I can give it a try again and let you know. Maybe some of the Sunsynk experts can shed some more light on that as well.

Else you can use the can port :) will just need a different converter. can to usb or can to rs485

Edited by WannabeSolarSparky

1 hour ago, Halcyon said:

My 5,5kw Sunsynk has a port labelled BMS485 and also one labelled RS485. My battery is using the BMS485 port. Will output on RS485 work fine for the local setup? 

I could not get the RS485 port to work. From the Deye manual it seems that it could be used for Eastron/Chint energy meter communication.

image.png.8daf5fc10a74ec5074b1640ca147b1e1.png

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm new to the forums and solar and hugely impressed by the automation achieved throughout here.

Having just had the set up done for me, I'm reticent to change anything (including removing the sunsynk logger) in order to connect directly locally.

Similar to idb my preference would be to pull from an API at intervals. 

Failing that has anyone managed to pull data from the sunsynk logger at anything faster than 5 min intervals which is what the web front-end uses as the interval for pulling data?

Any thoughts and suggestions are more than welcome, i'm not interested in editing information in the inverter from this connection i want, it's purely for automating appliances.

• 1 year later...

guys, I'm helping  friend that recently had a 5Kva Sunsync installed.

He's got the dongle as per image installed, I've installed the integration (region 2)... but getting no data really out.

(https://github.com/spotityza/Home-Assistant---E-Linter-Logger---Sunsynk)

On the PlantID debug output I only get state: 257083

Below is also a screenshot from the on Android app installed/given to him by the installer.

The Login tab seems to imply success logging in.

G

Screenshot 2023-08-07 at 10.23.31.png

Screenshot 2023-08-07 at 11.58.44.png

WhatsApp Image 2023-08-01 at 13.25.48.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-08-05 at 09.02.36.jpeg

Edited by georgelza

On 2022/06/20 at 10:04 PM, idb said:

HI all

Is there a remote API tool I can use to pull the data from there Sunsynk server?

anyone ever come back to you, I'm thinking Postman 
but will need to know what needs to be set to see the data packet coming back.

G

I"m trying to get the above git repo implemented as it also include the HA side of pulling sensor data in via pre build NodeRed flows.

Thanks for the link, will have an additional look.

PS.. closer inspection this is Scoobs and BlouBul's work... thanks

G

Edited by georgelza

... if i look at some of the debug nodes in NodeRed then it's as if I'm not getting data, although I do see some on the visual front end in HA.

Looking for someone that can spend 15min with me and go over things and see where it is broken, where I broke it.

G

On 2023/08/08 at 5:13 PM, Sc00bs said:

Or his video 

t

Hi Sc00bs.

I received the RS485 to cable block development board, can you point me to your repo that says what to deploy on ESP32 and then how to wire/install it... and what dashboards can be deployed onto HA to interact with it...

G