Victron Multiplus II and MPPT vs Sunsynk

First post here.

This is not about which one is better, but I want to know if the Sunsynk has other advantages besides a built-in MPPT controller? Why would you choose it over a Victron Multiplus II and a seperate MPPT controller. I know cost is a factor but lets only look at features.

2 hours ago, Spidergear said:

Why do you say that?

Just measure the power on the input side and what power is produced on the output 230V side. The using of DC to charge a battery and then use that power to inverter to 230V causes a lot of losses. Victron is great and reliable but I think Sunsynk is in a higher team ranking. Just look at some Solis grid tie models converting PV to 230V at over 96% efficiency. Victron can never get to even 90%from real figures i have seen.

If you store most of your energy in the battery then victron will be more efficient.

If you use most of your energy directly as it is produced the sunsync will be more efficient.

My current setup is about 50/50. I have a deye.

Sunsync has long strings of 4-8 panels, they are cheaper to wire but perform terrible with shading.

Victron will give you more options to have parallel and short strings in shaded conditions but you will have to fork out more money

• 8 months later...

I'm finding that another important consideration when comparing any product or service is critically, the after-sales support as well as efficiency to attend to issues. How good does the manufacturer honour warranties and guarantees (Service Level Agreements) or lack thereof.

It's no good getting a competitive product that you will struggle with, to get support or replacement or firmware updates that become problematic not being resolved timeously. So, who is better Victron or Sunsynk, including robust forums with knowledgeable people to also give support and advice?

It would be good, moreso for Sunsynk or even Victron or any other manufacturer to have standby units with their authorized local dealer hub so clients can have these temporarily used as replacement units whilst the customer's unit is being repaired, replaced or inspected for issues (damage or other factors - software or hardware). This would mean cutting down on the inconvenience time a customer goes through whilst waiting for a final solution if the inverter has an issue... similarly this would be for battery manufacturers. ...food for thought.

Edited by Moffat
Additional thought...

32 minutes ago, Moffat said:

to have standby units with their authorized local dealer hub so clients can have these temporarily used as replacement units whilst the customer's unit is being repaired, replaced or inspected for issues (damage or other factors - software or hardware). This would mean cutting down on the inconvenience time a customer goes through whilst waiting for a final solution if the inverter has an issue... similarly this would be for battery manufacturers. ...food for thought.

When you are selling units as fast as you can import them - there is little motivation to improve things for the customer...

5 minutes ago, P1000 said:

When you are selling units as fast as you can import them - there is little motivation to improve things for the customer...

Sadly true... I wonder who would have or can compile information on Sunsynk vs Victron reliability and Service Levels... it would certainly be an important metric to have and track.

On 2022/07/28 at 8:16 PM, P1000 said:

t's a characteristic of most low frequency inverters, and a design choice by Victron. Just look here: https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Output-rating-operating-temperature-and-efficiency.pdf

@P1000  Thanks for sharing that link.  That is very interesting and eye-popping.  The no-load consumption of the Victrons seem substantially lower in comparison to high-frequency transformerless designs.  (I measured my own 24V Axpert at 40W without even a fan or the LCD backlight running.)  From that it can be concluded that a low power consumer, especially when off-grid, such as a boat, RV, tiny house, chalets, TV + laptop and lights user, etc. might gain using a Victron.  Large power users that want to run a normal household using kettles, microwaves and washing machines would do better with SunSynk or other high frequency inverters.

A toroidal transformer such as is used by Victron is about 50% smaller and lighter than an E-core transformer (thus also cheaper due to material savings), but I still would hate one of those inverters to fall on my foot. 😆