Split DB Illegal?

Scarlock

Hello,

I am doing the final planning for a solar backup system and have been told that all my AC breakers cannot be housed in the same physical DB, as it would contravene the SANS codes.

I was told that "you cannot have more than one source of power" in a single DB, but this makes no sense because you have to have multiple "sources" for a selector or changeover. As I do not have a copy of the SANS I cannot verify what is and is not actually allowed in my DB.

I have attached a quick system diagram, and would like to know if it is possible to legally house all my AC breakers in one large DB box, and if so what rules I need to follow.

Any insight would be great.WD01-1.pdf

Thanks

Edited by Scarlock

If alternate power is to be fed into a DB board together with Grid power, you need to have a split neutral bar. One for Grid power & one for the alternate power.Both power sources earth terminals need to be earthed to the main earth terminal.You also need to have a seperate main switch to disconnect the alternate power.
Also a power on indicator (visible or audible) shall be provided together with a notice indicating that the alternate power main switch shall also be switched off in an emergency.

The regulations also state that if alternate power feeds plug circuits, they have to have earth leakage protection.
If not all plugs are being fed from the alternate power source, you would have two earth leakage units. One for grid fed plugs & one for alternate power fed plugs.I could not find any regulation within Sans 10142-1 that states you need 2 diffrent DB boards for Grid power and alternate power.

Edited by TaliaB
Rectifying spelling

• 5 months later...

Hallo @Scarlock, @TaliaB

Have you gained any further insights regarding this topic?  I would like to also implement a single split DB for my essential and non-essential loads exactly as per the SANS 10142-1 diagram with the alternative power source being an inverter-battery combination (i.e. no solar input for now).  The electrician I spoke to also wanted to implement a second DB for the essential loads, but I don't see the need for it based on the above unless the information is outdated.

Concerns I have:

1. Has the SANS standard been changed since the 2012 copy referenced?  I could only get access to a draft 3rd edition (2020) standard which still uses the same diagram as the 2012 edition.

2. Have the City of Cape Town perhaps instituted further regulations that override this section of the SANS standard for Inverter-Battery units acting as UPS?

3. Have you any recent references of a City of Cape Town CoC being issued when following the split-DB approach?

Many thanks

On 2023/02/02 at 10:14 PM, TaliaB said:

Also a power on indicator (visible or audible) shall be provided together with a notice indicating that the alternate power main switch shall also be switched off in an emergency.

This is interesting! So e.g., a "light" can be put into the non-essential side to show that there is power. Is this the correct interpretation?

5 minutes ago, FixAMess said:

This is interesting! So e.g., a "light" can be put into the non-essential side to show that there is power. Is this the correct interpretation?

Usually to indicate status of essentials and grid are live or not, but you can put as many indicators as you like on all circuits that you want/need visual indication of status.

I usually do 3 indicators grid - loads - inverter

indicator-lights-one.jpg.7047eca61a827e47a0a3c667d36074df.jpg

Edited by WannabeSolarSparky

6 minutes ago, FixAMess said:

General requirements
 SANS 10142-1:2012

7.12.2 Requirements for alternative sources of supply
    7.12.2.1 Where any form of alternative supply (emergency supply, UPS etc.), is connected to an electrical installation, a notice to this effect shall be displayed at the main switch of  the installation, and where such supply
    a) supplies power only to certain circuits in a distribution board, a power-on indicator (visible or audible) shall be provided on each such distribution board as well as a notice  indicating that the standby power main switch shall also be switched off in an emergency,

On 2023/07/23 at 9:16 PM, WannabeSolarSparky said:

Nice wiring work :)
But what if you need to replace a faulty CT coil 🤪

On 2023/07/23 at 9:16 PM, WannabeSolarSparky said:

Nice wiring work :)
But what if you need to replace a faulty CT coil 🤪

Neat work!

4 hours ago, PowerUser said:

Can you please tell us the exact name or model no.?

Hi, sorry there is no model number on this product.  There are two types of these terminals.  This one with connecting wires perpendicular to the prong whilst the other is a linear connection.  It accepts 16sq.mm wire

image.thumb.jpeg.d2fc2d3d807e434294779f3c429c202f.jpeg

4 hours ago, CobusK said:

Hi, sorry there is no model number on this product.  There are two types of these terminals.  This one with connecting wires perpendicular to the prong whilst the other is a linear connection.  It accepts 16sq.mm wire

image.thumb.jpeg.d2fc2d3d807e434294779f3c429c202f.jpeg

Thank you! Found them in the Hager catalog:

IMG_5600.thumb.jpeg.bddf06598b26895b515bd6bee7e3599b.jpeg