Mecer 5kVa settings and monitoring

egemnaar

10 hours ago, Chris Hobson said:

We sometimes breach 54V (when my BMV sounds an alarm) but we do not get to 54.5V

Your batteries are cycled daily. In contrast, in Europe there are many sites that keep the batteries charged (at 100% all the time) while feeding all the excess into the grid. It makes more sense for them. After some days, the battery appears to become super highly charged. Where it gets extra interesting is in countries that also mandate a maximum allowed feed-in current, so sometimes you cannot feed all the excess in.

The idea of not charging to 100% is actually not new. Many laptops have a utility for setting a lower level, to hold the battery at a lower charge level while on AC. When you need the full capacity, for example when traveling, you schedule a full charge.

11 hours ago, Chris Hobson said:

Lovely analogy

I was going to use a Cape Town/Windhoek analogy, because I know that road well and I've travelled it by road completely alone in a single day on more than one occasion. I initially thought it is a bit like when you reach Rehoboth... and you have only 80km to go. Truth be told though... that 80km takes FOREVER (after spending 14+ hours on the road). So that's like the reverse of what I wanted to say :-)

Fastest time I ever did from Windhoek to Stellenbosch: 11 hours 45 minutes. Distance is around 1500km. Driving through the night, in a VW MK1 sport (with the 1800cc engine). In my defense, I wasn't driving my own car and I had to follow another driver... when I finally reached the destination the other car had been waiting for me a whole 30 minutes. I don't even want to know how fast he was going.

• 1 year later...

Good Afternoon

Sorry to just drop in here but I am hoping someone can help me I have just started with my solar journey and unfortunately my panels were delivered just before SA was locked down for the Covid19 virus so I am trying to set it all up myself.  I just want to make sure that my settings are set up correctly I want to run solar first then utility and leave by batteries for backup power,

I have a Mecer 5Kva inverter SOL-I-AX-5P

4 x Vision 100a/h AMG batteries 30A

6 x 340w solar panels (2 sets of 3 in series connected in parallel)

Here are my current setting I just want to make sure that I have it all setup correctly.

1350353304_WatchpowerSettings.thumb.gif.75cb4852cf79ec0db9e9a7a1b46b780a.gif

Do I need to change anything to extend my battery life or anything else they may be incorrect

Thank you

2 hours ago, TrevorH said:

Do I need to change anything to extend my battery life or anything else they may be incorrect

I would change battery type to "user defined", so then you can change the bulk/CV voltage to 57.6 V, and the float voltage to 54.4 V. These are the lower end of recommended, so they should be safe for mild winters and hot summers.

I'd change the battery cutoff voltage to 49 V if possible, otherwise as high as possible (should be 48.0 V). That's because you will presumably be regularly suffering load shedding, and this will keep the SOC above very roughly 50% for reasonable battery life.

Output mode should not be parallel, it should be single (assuming you have only one inverter of course). You'll have to turn the inverter off (do this during the day or when utility is present) to make that change (and only that change is restricted in this way).

You may want to set the maximum charging time (C.V. stage) to about 60 minutes, if you feel the bite of the premature float charge bug. 

22 hours ago, Coulomb said:

I would change battery type to "user defined", so then you can change the bulk/CV voltage to 57.6 V, and the float voltage to 54.4 V. These are the lower end of recommended, so they should be safe for mild winters and hot summers.

I'd change the battery cutoff voltage to 49 V if possible, otherwise as high as possible (should be 48.0 V). That's because you will presumably be regularly suffering load shedding, and this will keep the SOC above very roughly 50% for reasonable battery life.

Output mode should not be parallel, it should be single (assuming you have only one inverter of course). You'll have to turn the inverter off (do this during the day or when utility is present) to make that change (and only that change is restricted in this way).

You may want to set the maximum charging time (C.V. stage) to about 60 minutes, if you feel the bite of the premature float charge bug. 

Thanks for the feedback. Busy adjusting settings at the moment.

Good Day All

Some advice will be appreciated. I am aware the my Axpert King(Basically same as Mecer) inverter does not communicate with the batteries.

Thus the SOC shown on the inverter and the actual SOC of the batteries are not the same.

I've got 3 Narada batteries and the have 4 SOC light indicators on the 

light 1 = 0-25%  light 2 = 25-50% light 3 =50-75% light 4 = 75-100%

we have had non stop cloud for the last 3 day and i've noticed the following.

According to the inverter the battery voltage drops to 45V and the system then switches over to ESKOM, although there are still 3 lights illumined on the batteries

meaning minimum 50% SOC available on the batteries.

So here is the question: Except for getting the official narada comms cable to communicate with the ICC on the Raspberry PI. is there another way to force the inverter to use the use battery power that is still available?

Hope this explanation makes sence.

Looking forward to the replies.

Greetings

Albert

• 1 year later...

Good morning

I discovered that although the batteries are charged, no electric current is fed to the house, when power outage occurred.

I have a 5Kva inverter Mecer.

I did not receive  a manual on installation.

Can somebody help please, I need the correct settings for the Inverter

Regards

Jan

• 1 year later...