RS485 to USB Pin Configuration

dax021

Hi, I have a Must LP18-48100 battery (51.2V, 100Ah).  Unfortunately I can't connect this to the comms port on my cheapy Axpert, so want to read the BMS info on my laptop using PBMSTools. I am not getting much help from Must re the pin configurations and was hoping someone here could help.  I have an old LAN cable which I intend to chop off one of the RJ45 plugs and connect the required leads to a USB adapter.  I have attached a picture of my adapter as well as the info I got from Must.  Appreciate the feedback.

RS 485 to USB Adapter.jpg

RS485 Pin Outs.docx

Edited by dax021

Thanks for that.  I bought that R38 two wire one and tried it out yesterday.  Still no joy, but I think the problem is drivers, which I have now downloaded from the site you pointed me to.  I will try later today

20 hours ago, dax021 said:

Thanks for that.  I bought that R38 two wire one and tried it out yesterday.  Still no joy, but I think the problem is drivers, which I have now downloaded from the site you pointed me to.  I will try later today

FYI I had a lot of trouble with drivers on one of these adapters because the site I bought it from said it was a CH340 chip, but it turned out to be FTDI. I finally sorted it by uninstalling the adapter in device manager and manually deleting all related driver files (write them down before uninstalling the adapter). I then restarted the PC, plugged the adapter in and windows installed the correct drivers.

I have managed to connect to the seplos bms in my battery with the seplos software, with the same pinouts as you and the adapter works perfectly, but I am not able to connect with PBMSTools, so you may need to find out exactly what bms you have and if there is a specific software for it.

Thanks, I seem to have the same problem.  Installed the CH340 driver, but still not getting any info.  Must Batteries say that PBMSTools is the correct software, but I am inclined to not believe much that they say.  They have given me so much conflicting info that I have pretty much given up on them.  I will carry on reading this thread and playing and will hopefully hit on the solution one of these fine days.

I can change the baud rate and have tried all through 4800 - 115000.  Not sure about the other settings.  Must are now telling me that I can't communicate with the battery via RS485, that this is for paralleling only, I must use RS232 which is a RJ11 plug

6 hours ago, dax021 said:

I can change the baud rate and have tried all through 4800 - 115000.  Not sure about the other settings.  Must are now telling me that I can't communicate with the battery via RS485, that this is for paralleling only, I must use RS232 which is a RJ11 plug

Baud rate for pbmstools is 9600

Ja, I thought that too and have it set on 9600 at the moment.  I think my next move is to get hold of a RS232 (RJ11) to USB cable and try that.  This has been quite a learning curve for me, and I thank everyone who responded