Maintaining The Forum Server In the Karoo :">>

Energy-Jason

Dear Everyone.

Hope well. Its very important to me that I look after the forums server and the multiple backups. I am in the Karoo. Look at this little Mikrotik Device I procured. I am really impressed with it. Its a LTE/3G router that can also act as a WIFI Access point. Here are some images of it. I will mount it on the roof tomorrow for better reception. It is running a MTN sim from Axxess .

If only I brought a little battery and panel for it. Its such a cool little device I thought I would share. Now I can connect to the server in USA and maintain our forum. From Karoo to USA! hehe :> Very cool what they can make these days. 

Sincerely

Jason 

IMG-20181212-WA0049.jpeg

IMG-20181212-WA0051.jpeg

IMG-20181212-WA0053.jpeg

IMG-20181212-WA0060.jpeg

IMG-20181212-WA0062.jpeg

IMG-20181212-WA0064.jpeg

IMG-20181212-WA0072.jpeg

IMG-20181212-WA0074.jpeg

My own setup:

I use a Huawei wireless 4g router, with battery backup for my own offgrid home.
B315s-936.  I have the poynting antenna for it, but it doesn't need it.   Sadly 3 years later Telkom still says there is no coverage where I am, so my "billing" address is elsewhere.

Finally cancelled Telkom for Rain though.

Connects to some UBNT (Ubiquiti) equipment for house wifi, and security systems.

US-8-60W PoE switch

USG Router (which isn't really necessary, as the B315 does DHCP currently, but I can snarf DNS -> PiHole easily with it, so why not)

AP-AC LR

+ some G3 Flex camera's 

To be honest, I prefer Unifi (which is more mac friendly) vs Microtik's clunky windows UI.  Winbox, bleh!

Still have the CLI under everything for power use, although 99.9% of what I need is done in the ui.

I still have a Microtik router and wifi pointed at my previous wifi internet provider.  LTE is cheaper though, and far faster.  

My stuff runs mostly in docker VM's (eg the UNIFI video software), and PiHole (for whole house no advertising, yay!), and Plex - at least 20TB+ of stuff, likely more.  
Whats nice this year is that I can stream straight from my Chinese apt server, which 3-4 years ago was impossible.

My own server maintenance stuff is mostly done over mosh and ansible.

Edited by shanghailoz

On 2018/12/24 at 11:40 PM, Energy said:

Dear Everyone.

Hope well. Its very important to me that I look after the forums server and the multiple backups. I am in the Karoo. Look at this little Mikrotik Device I procured. I am really impressed with it. Its a LTE/3G router that can also act as a WIFI Access point. Here are some images of it. I will mount it on the roof tomorrow for better reception. It is running a MTN sim from Axxess .

If only I brought a little battery and panel for it. Its such a cool little device I thought I would share. Now I can connect to the server in USA and maintain our forum. From Karoo to USA! hehe 😆 Very cool what they can make these days. 

Sincerely

Jason 

IMG-20181212-WA0049.jpeg

IMG-20181212-WA0051.jpeg

IMG-20181212-WA0053.jpeg

IMG-20181212-WA0060.jpeg

IMG-20181212-WA0062.jpeg

IMG-20181212-WA0064.jpeg

IMG-20181212-WA0072.jpeg

IMG-20181212-WA0074.jpeg

Those little mikrotik devices are nice, and you can run it off batteries and a solar panel too ;)