My Attempt - SolarMon Software

edmundp

Hi all,

So I have been busy. Very busy...

First of all - this is by no means meant to be competition to Jdp. I have no intent to out try him at his software. By the looks of things he has a lot of very complicated things in mind that I do not such as home automation.

That being said this is my take on things and I would really like to hear what everyone thinks.

It is written in C# and uses SQL Express. It stores all data every 5 sec and also creates daily, monthly, and annual tables.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FiBDnjGH5Oc

Let me know your thoughts?

Ed

Wow. This is fantastic.

I have the axpert 3kva with 1.2kw of solar. I have had to install a kw meter on the input and output of the inverter. To see how much savings I have.

The software that comes with the inverter is useless. I know nothing about programming. Would you be making this software available for download or selling it? If so I would definitely be interested.

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

Hi all,

So I have been busy. Very busy...

First of all - this is by no means meant to be competition to Jdp. I have no intent to out try him at his software. By the looks of things he has a lot of very complicated things in mind that I do not such as home automation.

That being said this is my take on things and I would really like to hear what everyone thinks.

It is written in C# and uses SQL Express. It stores all data every 5 sec and also creates daily, monthly, and annual tables.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FiBDnjGH5Oc

Ed

Nice Edmund

Keen for a beta test when you are ready.

What does pv output look like to you as a cloud publishing option?

Cheers

Mark

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

Nice Edmund

Keen for a beta test when you are ready.

What does pv output look like to you as a cloud publishing option?

Cheers

Mark

Thanks. Only checked it out briefly but kind of looks limited.

I will have closer look see and report back.

I think it gives me what I would need... especially the history and zoom etc but more the internet availablity from remote locations... i like not having to worry about a server and other bits... 5 mins is real time enough for me...

M

Hi Ed

Mooi man!

I like the car dashboard feel all I need now is a steering wheel and some roadtrip music. :D  

Saw briefly your communication console. Are you connecting with USB port or a true serial port. My hassle is I have a USB port and the 3rd party implementations I have seen or tried (only 1) don't seem to be designed around USB. Windows can be a bugger trying to emulate a COM port. I mostly manage to screw it up spectacularly, but there are known USB - com port bugs like with the Arduino IDE. 

Well done that is impressive

Chris

Hi Ed

Mooi man!

I like the car dashboard feel all I need now is a steering wheel and some roadtrip music. :D

Saw briefly your communication console. Are you connecting with USB port or a true serial port. My hassle is I have a USB port and the 3rd party implementations I have seen or tried (only 1) don't seem to be designed around USB. Windows can be a bugger trying to emulate a COM port. I mostly manage to screw it up spectacularly, but there are known USB - com port bugs like with the Arduino IDE.

Chris

Thanks all.

Chris as far as I understand it it does not matter if you have a serial or usb port. Mine runs serial on inverter to usb on pc. With the usb versions the only difference is that the serial to usb module or cable have been internalised to the inverter.

And tell me about the .net serial control. Terrible to say the least. Took an immense amount of time to stabilise the comms.

That being said - what is missing from what you have seen? My setup only caters for single units at this point. I do not know if I should expand as the most people I think only runs one?

Hi Ed

Mooi man!

Chris

I'm the same Chris... no true serial and the usb isn't lekker. May have to build an old pic with serial ports for this... even my BMV 702 usb is a pain...

That being said - what is missing from what you have seen? My setup only caters for single units at this point. I do not know if I should expand as the most people I think only runs one?

Hi Ed

I like that Inverter Temp is available. The general feel is good. I spend time looking at Watchpower glancing at the inverter to get PV power in (I leave it on that setting) and the midpoint deviation from the Victron BMV. I noticed that total PV generated is less than PV used but your batteries are 100%. It may be due to flushing of the database. Do you use the midpoint value of the 702? I would like to see a log of battery voltage, battery amps, SOC  and mid point deviation. These are the things I watch and monitor manually.

I like the financial angle - nice to have.

How easy would it be to have you daily summary as figures on a table below the graph? One could detect visually any anomalies and get the values from the table.

I agree most folk only have 1 inverter.  

A really useful piece of software.

Hi Chris. Correct. The PC was disconnected the most of the day and thus calcs are out. The calcs use a tick based system and not total amount of time for the purpose of accuracy.

I like your idea and should be perfectly doable. I would rather actually add a totally seperate form for that to display data in grid view. What sample rate would you prefer seeing that the software records every 5 secs it becomes a hell of a lot of data over a 24 hour period...?

O and I use the 700 and not the 702 but the logic stays the same. It just needs to pick up and record midpoint.

Let me know.

Hi Edmund

Looking great!!

Like Chris I:

- Have the BMV702 (USB) for mid point voltages (so would like that).

- Have one Axpert 5kv(48V)

- For me PVoutput would be great even with Limitations...

Is the DB easily installed and managed?

Many Thanks for the work... Nice to see development like this happening by more than one person!!  Jaco has different needs and that gives us all options!

Regards

Mark

VE.Direct-Protocol.pdf

Manual-BMV-700-700H-702-EN-NL-FR-DE-ES-SE-PT-IT.pdf

Hi Edmund

Great looking software, congratulations. I too am running a single Axpert 5kVA with BMV 702, although at the moment I am not using the midpoint measurement (I have two banks and currently only measure over the complete bank). The level of automation you  have at the moment is fine for me, having the inverter switch either based on time or on SOC. I don't intend adding stuff like Arduino or switching relays. 

Is the DB file stored separately? Can it be backed up and transferred e.g. when changing the PC or installing an update of the software to avoid losing historical data?

I've been running MppSolarPatrol for about a month now. I like the data that it represents but it does not connect to the battery monitor and there's no trending. Nice to be able to access it via a web browser when away from home. Other disadvantage is that it stores the data in CSV files, one per day. 

I'm urgently looking for something better.

Regards

Cobus

Hi All,

OK - will look into adding the midpoint reading for the BMV.

The Db is fairly easy in my opinion. You will need to have SQL Express running (2012). The db is not embedded so merely a file moved across and imported into the local instance. Currently looking at install scripts to doing that for you. The idea is to be able to hack the db as easily as possible in terms of writing your own queries via ODBC to Excel and such.

Ideal is to find an install builder that will check for prerequisites (.Net 4.5.2 and SQL Express 2012) and if absent install automatically. But that is easier said than done as the Install builders out there costs a fortune. Otherwise will ask someone at the office to assist.

I am also starting to look at PVOutput - nicely contained service with mobile apps despite limitation. Would probably embed this into the app as a switchable option.

Hi All,

OK - will look into adding the midpoint reading for the BMV.

The Db is fairly easy in my opinion. You will need to have SQL Express running (2012). The db is not embedded so merely a file moved across and imported into the local instance. Currently looking at install scripts to doing that for you. The idea is to be able to hack the db as easily as possible in terms of writing your own queries via ODBC to Excel and such.

Ideal is to find an install builder that will check for prerequisites (.Net 4.5.2 and SQL Express 2012) and if absent install automatically. But that is easier said than done as the Install builders out there costs a fortune. Otherwise will ask someone at the office to assist.

I am also starting to look at PVOutput - nicely contained service with mobile apps despite limitation. Would probably embed this into the app as a switchable option.

Just tried (again x3) to update my inverter firmware. ... watchpower sees it using same cable but the update software does not...

Anyone have ideas... .doc help file says must be Com1 but I cant see this being detected in device manager.

Can I use the usb cable for the firmware update ? Ie same cable that works for watchpower...

Frustrated[emoji15]

Thanks

Mark

Just tried (again x3) to update my inverter firmware. ... watchpower sees it using same cable but the update software does not...

Anyone have ideas... .doc help file says must be Com1 but I cant see this being detected in device manager.

Can I use the usb cable for the firmware update ? Ie same cable that works for watchpower...

Frustrated[emoji15]

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark,

I did mine with USB. Just ensure that your COM is assigned to COM1 in Device Manager. (Same cable used for Watchpower.)

I like your idea and should be perfectly doable. I would rather actually add a totally seperate form for that to display data in grid view. What sample rate would you prefer seeing that the software records every 5 secs it becomes a hell of a lot of data over a 24 hour period...?

O and I use the 700 and not the 702 but the logic stays the same. It just needs to pick up and record midpoint.

Let me know.

HI Ed

I was just thinking of daily totals in a table form. If you look at the bar graph, notice an anomaly and think "What happened on Sunday?" It would be easier if one has the totals in a table instead of reading them off the graph. I think the data for the database could be read every 1 or 2 minutes. You may miss some rapid changes in data but really I doubt any of our inverters are "mission critical". I would like to think mine is but its most important job is keeping the beers cold. On second thoughts therefore my installation is mission critical  ;) .

Well ja - mine is kind of mission critical as well. System failure = no household power + devastated family.

Do you think I should drop the history graph for daily totals all together and replace with a grid view or keep the graph and expand with grid view?

Hi all.

Just a heads up. PVOutput.org is working.

If you want you can search for Pohl Home on the site to see.

Quite nifty actually. Considering going to Donation mode to be able to upload extended data such as battery voltage and such to be able to graph them as well.

Also works on Android.

The data table view requested by Chris is also almost up and running. Will show soon.