Axpert MKS II 5kW Error 08

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@charlez - I don't think the suppliers are even aware of this issue with the inverter! Here is the circuit The heart of the isolater, is the LD03-16B12 (AC/DC Converter Vin = 90-528VAC

I did put up a fuss with Voltronic themselves regardings this issue.  At first they gave me a lame answer as follows : "Per your information below, it means error 08 was caused by the surge from

@charlez has pointed me to this information from the official Axpert MKS II manual: 14. WARNING: Because this inverter is non-isolated, only three types of PV modules are acceptable: single cryst

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Montanarin said:

Hi all,

we encountered the same problem 08, but it occurs while the system has no pv connected, switching from bypass to battery.

so i think the suggested circuit, that work on pv side, does not fix the problem for us. Any other suggestions?

Thank you

Montanarin

Firstly, are you using the model with the very high PV input (up to 450V)? The circuit will only work for these models with PV panels attached.

As @Coulomb has mentioned (more than once), the problem can also occur when the battery voltage is too high.  Have you taken any measurements when you ran into error 08?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi,

On 2020/08/25 at 2:39 PM, koosmulder1234567 said:

Correct, same 08 occurs when lifepo4 batteries are fully charged and BMS MOSFETs interrupt the charge direction. That's the problem not using inverter that communicates with the BMS. Never have this problem with Victron. We use 16s packs and put 4x12v lead acid batteries parallel, also problem of switched off MOSFETs in discharge direction solved.

I am interested in your comments.

I have an MPPSolar PIP-5048MG, and am about to swap from NiFe to LPF for my battery bank.

How does the BMS only stop charging? I thought a BMS with a common port just disconnected the battery from the inverter, i.e. No charge or discharge. If the problem is that the charge is not stopping, why not lower the charge voltage on the inverter? Is there something I am missing?

The other question I have is about the parallel LA bank: How many Ah is it? Is it always on-line. or do you switch it in when required? Also, what is the size of the LFP bank you're using?

Trying to gather as much info as possible before I changeover.

I will have an added (possible) problem in that I have in addition to the MG, a Midnite Classic 200 SCC, which I am worried will create a problem with the inverter if the BMS shuts off the battery bank during the day, and with lots of solar output.

Many thanks,

dRdoS7

• 2 weeks later...

Recently started experiencing the same problem, albeit not as frequently as some of the other participants (2 occasions).

Went through this thread in detail and I must admit that I am still a bit confused.

I have mono-crystalline panels and unlike some of the others, I experience the 08 error after extended periods of being off-grid. The most recent one occurred at 5:00 am this morning after having been off-grid for about 4 days, running on solar and batteries only. The 08 error occurred when the inverter switched to bypass.

Strangely enough, during the winter months, when switching between solar/batteries and grid is a daily occurrence (around 5am every morning) this never happened.

The only common issue seems to be that it was cloudy and rainy both times the 08 error occurred. But then again, it has been cloudy and rainy many other times and I did not get the error!?!

Has anyone managed to find a lasting solution?

39 minutes ago, Smirresa said:

Recently started experiencing the same problem, albeit not as frequently as some of the other participants (2 occasions).

Went through this thread in detail and I must admit that I am still a bit confused.

I have mono-crystalline panels and unlike some of the others, I experience the 08 error after extended periods of being off-grid. The most recent one occurred at 5:00 am this morning after having been off-grid for about 4 days, running on solar and batteries only. The 08 error occurred when the inverter switched to bypass.

Strangely enough, during the winter months, when switching between solar/batteries and grid is a daily occurrence (around 5am every morning) this never happened.

The only common issue seems to be that it was cloudy and rainy both times the 08 error occurred. But then again, it has been cloudy and rainy many other times and I did not get the error!?!

Has anyone managed to find a lasting solution?

If the problem disappears when you disconnect your panels, you need to build an auto-isolator like I designed and posted - that was the only solution that worked for me. It is only applicable to the following situation:

<SPAN STYLE='background:dddd00;'>
1. Inverter in bypass mode

AND

2. Solar panels are wet.
</SPAN>

Regards

A

26 minutes ago, APV said:

If the problem disappears when you disconnect your panels, you need to build an auto-isolator like I designed and posted - that was the only solution that worked for me. It is only applicable to the following situation:

<SPAN STYLE='background:dddd00;'>
1. Inverter in bypass mode

AND

2. Solar panels are wet.
</SPAN>

Regards

A

And not night-time for me. Can be wet and bypass, but if panels are generating some power all seems ok.

@APV solution is lasting.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have followed this post rather intently and see that a great workaround has been developed. Since I dont have the expertise to replicate such a solution I wanted to discuss if I could improvise and attach a Sonoff Wifi Switch to the PV input just after the breaker and before the inverter. Its an AC switch but could control the flow of the DC current to the inverter and scheduled to allow current to pass at mornings and shut down in evenings. 

Furthermore, I solved the problem I had with Fault 08 (Bus Voltage exceeds threshold) by simply turning off the PV input breaker at 7pm everyday and turning it back on at around 8am. The setup I have is Canadian Solar Polyperc 370W panels wired in 2 banks of 9 series each which is the common denominator in almost all the members problems here. In the summer, not once did I face a problem with any Bus voltages but since its winters here in Lahore, Pakistan now I have this fault pop up at around 12am-5am. The company that deals with these inverters called Inverex have simply told me I need batteries. I chose not to use batteries as I have two standby UPS`s connected to this system anyways and they are wired to each room separately with much smaller batteries than the ones required for the 5kw system.

Thanks for having such a lively community filled with so many new insights.

8 minutes ago, Maximus777 said:

Hi all,

I have followed this post rather intently and see that a great workaround has been developed. Since I dont have the expertise to replicate such a solution I wanted to discuss if I could improvise and attach a Sonoff Wifi Switch to the PV input just after the breaker and before the inverter. Its an AC switch but could control the flow of the DC current to the inverter and scheduled to allow current to pass at mornings and shut down in evenings. 

Furthermore, I solved the problem I had with Fault 08 (Bus Voltage exceeds threshold) by simply turning off the PV input breaker at 7pm everyday and turning it back on at around 8am. The setup I have is Canadian Solar Polyperc 370W panels wired in 2 banks of 9 series each which is the common denominator in almost all the members problems here. In the summer, not once did I face a problem with any Bus voltages but since its winters here in Lahore, Pakistan now I have this fault pop up at around 12am-5am. The company that deals with these inverters called Inverex have simply told me I need batteries. I chose not to use batteries as I have two standby UPS`s connected to this system anyways and they are wired to each room separately with much smaller batteries than the ones required for the 5kw system.

Thanks for having such a lively community filled with so many new insights.

I do not think a Sonoff switch will work, since it only breaks one of the 2 wires.  You will still have leakage to earth via the other (unbroken) PV wire.  I really think you need to find a device that has a double pole relay built into it so that you can break both wires coming from the solar panels.

Alternatively, you can use the Sonoff to control a double pole relay with a 240V coil.  That setup will isolate the PV panels completely as well.

3 hours ago, APV said:

I do not think a Sonoff switch will work, since it only breaks one of the 2 wires.  You will still have leakage to earth via the other (unbroken) PV wire.  I really think you need to find a device that has a double pole relay built into it so that you can break both wires coming from the solar panels.

Alternatively, you can use the Sonoff to control a double pole relay with a 240V coil.  That setup will isolate the PV panels completely as well.

Thanks for pointing that out. I like how that sounds yet I believe I dont have the expertise in any type of electrics to set that up. Looking for an out of the box solution if anyone can recommend a work around. 

18 hours ago, Maximus777 said:

Thanks for pointing that out. I like how that sounds yet I believe I dont have the expertise in any type of electrics to set that up. Looking for an out of the box solution if anyone can recommend a work around. 

If you are considering using a Sonoff switch, you will have to change the wiring a bit.  I am sure you can do it!!!  If you use a Sonoff and a contactor (230VAC coil), it will look as follows:

image.thumb.png.178ea0fa03321ac406c54984301ff3d7.png

If you prefer to use a relay with 230VAC coil, it would look as follows:

image.thumb.png.b99ba1f16f33f64f39972fa23868af43.png

1 minute ago, Barryv said:

Please be careful.

The contactor don't open up wide enough as it is made for AC and not for DC and the relay is small.

So when the watts/amps  is high on the PV it will arc. 

Here you can see the ac vs dc and look at the small opening of the DC.

Yes, your statement is 100% correct, IF you interrupt the DC from the PV panels under full load.

However, in this scenario, the PV panels are disconnected when they are delivering very low power...

Nice demonstration though :)

5 minutes ago, APV said:

Yes, your statement is 100% correct, IF you interrupt the DC from the PV panels under full load.

However, in this scenario, the PV panels are disconnected when they are delivering very low power...

Nice demonstration though

And what happens if the Sonoff trips for some reason while current is high (automation mistake/circuit trip/etc)? Instant bonfire.

Please only use switching equipment rated for the max current and voltage of the connected equipment.

1 minute ago, APV said:

Yes, true. I have the same problem. My father-in-law inverter did the same and sines I added an extra Pylontech Batter the resistance change and didn't get so many PV freeze. The monitor software has an options to install a DC relay to restart the PV

On my system I don't have this problem. I have Gel Batteries.

But my question,  why is the inverter not putting the the pv load into the out load of the house when the batteries are full?

18 minutes ago, JustinSchoeman said:

And what happens if the Sonoff trips for some reason while current is high (automation mistake/circuit trip/etc)? Instant bonfire.

Please only use switching equipment rated for the max current and voltage of the connected equipment.

+1 = True

Look for DC contactors at 300 amps. 

2 hours ago, APV said:

Make sure its a normally close contactor..

Then if sonoff drops it will still stay close. 

20 hours ago, APV said:

If you are considering using a Sonoff switch, you will have to change the wiring a bit.  I am sure you can do it!!!  If you use a Sonoff and a contactor (230VAC coil), it will look as follows:

image.thumb.png.178ea0fa03321ac406c54984301ff3d7.png

If you prefer to use a relay with 230VAC coil, it would look as follows:

image.thumb.png.b99ba1f16f33f64f39972fa23868af43.png

Thanks for sharing this. I could manage getting one of those and wiring it up. I have a similar contactor for a generator setup on auto, but off since I got the solar setup.

14 hours ago, Barryv said:

Make sure its a normally close contactor..

Then if sonoff drops it will still stay close. 

and i guess its only safer to get dc contactor if i can find one. Otherwise aliexpress to the rescue.

Edited by Maximus777

I had the same issue with the Error8 when my inverter(s) are in bypass mode, no solar input from panels and rain in the air.  My approach to solve (hide) this is to not add any additional hardware to the setup.  Enable an AC charge current of only 2A and switch the inverter charge priority to "Solar First".  The MKSII inverter can only charge from AC when in bypass mode, thus it will not use the AC charging when there is still battery available.  AC charging will not be used in bypass mode with solar availability.  The 2A AC charge setting is only enough to bias the inverter and do not really charge the batteries over the night period (My batteries SOC will go up with 1% maximum after about 10 hours on bypass).  After enabling these settings on my inverters I have not experience Error8 again for the entire winter (lots of rain and bypass mode incidents).  I hope this helps a few of you.