LFeLi-48100TB batteries

Jeroen

Hi Everyone,

I bought 2x of these batteries from The Solar Shop (online) a while back. The shop turns out to be dodgy, can't get hold of anyone to sort out my issues. My inverter keeps on showing battery low but yet when Eskom goes out we do have power. My inverter supplier doesn't know the brand. My Kodak King 5kva inverters have a setting for Pylontech batteries so thinking if taking the knock (again!) and buy those but my current ones are 4.8kw as far as I know so 3.5 pylontech would seem like a power backup downgrade. First prize is figuring out the current batteries and getting them sorted. Anyone have experience, and in Johannesburg area?

2 hours ago, Shockin said:

You have a pic of the front of the battery? that

seems to be a Leoch battery

Indeed, Google brings up this:

Selection_419.png.415e1e791534f6c255001a55d3276d6f.png

And as pointed out before, usually if you have one of those, and especially if you bought it at a less-than-upstanding-place, it's a second hand battery stolen from an MTN cell-phone tower. There will be no support from anyone, nobody will touch that thing in this country.

It's a 16-cell battery though, so it should remain above 50V almost all the way down to 40% SoC and then slowly drop away to 45V. So it does sound as if something is wrong with this setup too... first thing to do would be to measure the actual battery voltage with a multimeter to determine if the voltage is really low, or if the inverter is just telling you so for some or other reason.

I'm very new to this, but these appear to be very good batteries https://www.rectifier.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/LFeLi-48100C_V5.0-EN.pdf

They are Lithium Iron Phosphate, they charge slightly different to conventional lead-acid in that they are 2-stage. They charge to roughly 60-70% maintaining current, then drop current and maintain volts.

Lead-Acid if I am not mistaken has 3 stage.

Still, Lithium Iron Phosphate, from my understanding should not give much issues unless you are severely under or overcharging them.

17 hours ago, PJJ said:

Wouldn't the first thing to do be giving it back to MTN?

Yeah... I was kinda doing the benefit-of-the-doubt thing, didn't want to harp on it too much 🙂

12 hours ago, Jeroen said:

A little late in replying, but here is a photo of my batteries.

Those don't look like the cell-tower ones I've seen. If you google the model number in the title it brings up the Leoch though, so please forgive the conclusion.jump();

7 hours ago, netstrider said:

I'm very new to this, but these appear to be very good batteries https://www.rectifier.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/LFeLi-48100C_V5.0-EN.pdf

Woooah, is Current Automation actually selling Leoch now? That looks like a very old upload and I can't see the product on their main pages.

14 minutes ago, plonkster said:

Woooah, is Current Automation actually selling Leoch now? That looks like a very old upload and I can't see the product on their main pages.

Last year when people started asking about LEOCH and the low prices,  I also found that link through a google search. I remember seeing a price list with some Lead Acid LEOCH on them, but never for the LFeLi models.

35 minutes ago, plonkster said:

Yeah... I was kinda doing the benefit-of-the-doubt thing, didn't want to harp on it too much 🙂

IIRC from the Carte Blanche story there was only one distributor at the time for the LFP Leoch's 

This obviously could have changed since the piece was done, but I would think MTN would have a dataset somewhere containing all the S/N from all of their batteries, maybe phoning them and just checking if one of your batteries isn't one of theirs you would get the peace of mind that the SAPS wouldn't make a unwelcome visit to your house.  

Edited by PJJ

9 minutes ago, PJJ said:

dataset somewhere

I remember that in the story they indicated that some batteries still had the stickers on from the original supplier, or the company that installed them. I see two stickers to the right that appears to have "titanate" written on then. That might be a hint... but the photo is too blury to use.

16 minutes ago, PaBz0r said:

With all the DIY things happening, wonder how long it will take before they start stripping and repackaging these batteries.. 

I think that's a bit too tedious a job for common thief's. 

But someone willing and able, looking for a less quick but decent buck would probably buy the batteries from these thieves and merrily sit away with his spot welder building packs, design yourself a good looking case, add a decent BMS and you could probably sell it as a "new" battery.

Scary times to be a network operator, or someone buying batteries from less "known" sources.

1 hour ago, plonkster said:

I remember that in the story they indicated that some batteries still had the stickers on from the original supplier, or the company that installed them. I see two stickers to the right that appears to have "titanate" written on then. That might be a hint... but the photo is too blury to use.

Ok, I went and looked for the video and I found it, I coppied the link at exactly the right time moment (3:34)

Just look a bit to the left of the ladies shoulder, that single battery ontop of the boxes, looks almost exactly like the same design the OP has.

Edit: Also at 4:33, you get a even better look.

Just 

Edited by PJJ
Another time moment

On 2020/01/10 at 12:51 PM, Krokkedil said:

I still see adverts for these on the internet. I almost bought some.

Now my question. The SUN PAYS.co .za also sells a 4.8kw that looks very similar. must i steer clear 

The Sun Pays have been around for awhile, they are known for Solar Geysers etc. I doubt they will risk their business with dodgy batteries. 

• 1 month later...

I know it's a month late but @Jeroen 's batteries are 100% definitely stolen LEOCH batteries.

Perhaps the logo has been scratched off or removed with solvents, but the model number is LFeLi-48100T and the specs are on the LEOCH website: http://www.leoch.com/pdf/reserve-power/Lithium/LB-LFeLi-48100T-PD-EN-V1.6-201810.pdf

The same batteries are sold by Averge with a sticker over the LEOCH logo. This is the pic on their website:

spacer.png

On a side note, "the solar shop" where he apparently got them from is still advertising stolen batteries: http://www.thesolar-shop.co.za/index.php/product-category/lithium-ion-battery/

Really makes me wonder what the cops are actually doing all day when it seems so easy to catch these criminals...

Edited by tetrasection