Yet another Axpert Thread

Bl4d3

Hi all

I require some advice, I've searched this forum and the web and cant seem to find an answer.

Setup :
1 x 5kva 5kw Axpert Inverter (TheSunPays)
2 x 4.8kwh LiFePo4 48v Batteries (TheSunPays)
9 x Canadian Solar 360w panels

We have a few issues.

1. We have the battery cut off set to 46v as per TheSunPays, we get a low voltage alarm even when at 49v and we cant stop this alarm without resetting the unit.
Is there a way to change the parameters surrounding the alarm so that the alarm activates at 47v without changing the cut off from 46v?

We've had the inverter change back to grid even when at 49.3v, leaving an all most full battery. The low voltage alarm was triggered but voltage never reached 48v.

We would not like to drop the cut off from 46v as should there be loadshedding in the middle of the night, it might cause the batteries to drain and shut off completely.

Welcome to the forum 👋

It might help posting your inverter settings, I'd imagine 12,13,26,27 and 29 would be a good start.

Not sure about these batteries, but is there a cable hooked up to the inverter?

12 - 48v
13 - 50v
29 - 46v

Will post 26 and 27 when I get home.

The batteries are only hooked to each other using an ethernet cable. According to TheSunPays, we dont need to hook the batteries to the inverter.

This is the battery used
https://shop.thesunpays.co.za/collections/solar-batteries/products/the-sun-pays-4-8-kwh-lithium-ion-battery-pack

This is the inverter :
https://shop.thesunpays.co.za/collections/axpert-inverters/products/4kw-5kva-80a-axpert-pure-sine-wave-inverter-parallel

posting following from 

https://forums.aeva.asn.au/viewtopic.php?p=75494#p75494

Q: Why am I getting low battery warnings? My lithium battery BMS says it's nearly full.
A: These inverter-chargers were developed when lead-acid batteries were the norm. The terminal voltage of such batteries varies considerably with state of charge, and leaving the battery near empty is a really bad thing for this chemistry. Hence the low battery warning and alarm. Unfortunately, the manufacturer neglected to document what triggers and releases the low battery warning. With factory firmware, the low battery warning occurs at 2.0 V above the Low DC Cutoff voltage (setting 29). The low battery warning isn't released until the battery voltage rises to at least 4.0 V above the voltage in setting 29. Many LFP (LiFePO₄) batteries only have a range of about 4 volts from empty to full! That's why the LFP flavour of the patched firmware (but only the LFP flavour) changes these thresholds from 2.0 V to 0.5 V, and from 4.0 V to 1.0 V (so warning on at setting 29 plus 0.5 V, and warning off at setting 29 plus 1.0 V). Of course, not everyone chooses or even can use patched firmware, so the solution is to change setting 29 to be lower, say 2.0 V less than setting 12. That means you don't have as much protection against low battery voltage, but most LFP batteries have a Battery Management System that will protect against low cell voltage, and hence also low total battery voltage.

Better to post your inverter exact model so appropriate guidance be provided regarding patch firmware

Edited by rastert111

Man, the "Yet another" prefix made me laugh. There are many days I visit the site, scan the new posts... Axpert... axpert... 3kva... I blew up my inverter... aaah well, nothing interesting today.

"Mark site read". Ku-lick. Done for today 🙂

Edited by plonkster

I had to add it because I saw everyone is just asking Axpert questions, granted most of them are repetitive and have been answered countless times.
I've honestly been reading through the forum silently for over a month and couldnt find an answer for my question, which is why I asked today.

rastert111 basically answered it and has pointed me in the right direction, now to see if mine is a clone of a clone of a clone, if it is then im shit outa luck

13 minutes ago, Bl4d3 said:

I reckon its because companies are flogging the market with cheaper clones and loadshedding

It happens every time there is loadshedding. Generators, inverters, UPSes, sometimes people install whatever they can lay their hands on. Back in 2013 Axpert inverters were being brought into the country by the container-load, and still it wasn't enough. The first clones that showed up more or less at the same time was the MUST inverters... and then it got worse.

🙂

11 hours ago, Bl4d3 said:

After reading through that post, I can confirm that this inverter is a clone.
Guess im shit outa luck then

Sadly, it seems likely. You can try updating the firmware to the LFP flavour of 73.00e; it might work. It would fix your issues with the alarm.

If not, you might be able to get back to your supplier and get a new control card. That should allow you to reflash the firmware. Though the manufacturing date suggested by the barcode (2019 08) is pretty recent, so they might have a proper bootstrap loader in there by now.

Sometimes the suppliers don't realise they are selling a clone, and will replace with a genuine for goodwill. It could happen.

Just got off the phone with TheSunPays.
They've confirmed that their inverter is a clone and not original.

They've also confirmed that the new firmware will not work on the inverters, only their manufacturers firmware will work.

I guess I'm proper shit outa luck now

47 minutes ago, Bl4d3 said:

They've also confirmed that the new firmware will not work on the inverters, only their manufacturers firmware will work.

Heh. That's Voltronic Power's firmware, as patched by Weber and myself. That's a bit rich.

It's good firmware for lead acid batteries, though. Perhaps consider a battery swap with someone who has lead acid now, and would not mind an update to lithium.

20 minutes ago, Coulomb said:

Heh. That's Voltronic Power's firmware, as patched by Weber and myself. That's a bit rich.

It's good firmware for lead acid batteries, though. Perhaps consider a battery swap with someone who has lead acid now, and would not mind an update to lithium.

Well we intentionally bought LiFePO4 batteries for the long lifespan, we'd hate to move to lead acid.