Deye Hybrid Neutral bonding when off grid.

TonyH

As I have researched I have discovered that the Deye neutral needs to be bonded to earth to prevent a floating neutral, when the inverter is off grid. The manual doesn't discuss the topic. Does anyone know if one of the auxiliary terminals can be used to drive a relay to earth the neutral? The auxiliary terminal is 1 -12. 1 and 2 are for the battery temperature probe and 3 and 4 are for the CT. I have searched and found no other information. Deye has as yet not replied to my query. Perhaps they are still on holiday. If someone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you Vassen. If I can't get a signal from the Deye I will have to use your suggestion. I am concerned that the grid may be up but the Deye off grid as the PV's and or batteries have enough power to keep off grid. In this situation the Deye Inverter will disconnect from the grid which will allow for a floating earth. I am making assumptions now. Regards

Hi Vassen, I didn't answer why I have chosen a Deye. There are two reasons. I live in Scottburgh where the temperatures can easily reach 40C and I wanted an inverter with a fan. Secondly I liked the smart power feature. I will investigate the Sunsynk as I haven't put in my order yet. Regards

1 hour ago, TonyH said:

Hi Vassen, I didn't answer why I have chosen a Deye. There are two reasons. I live in Scottburgh where the temperatures can easily reach 40C and I wanted an inverter with a fan. Secondly I liked the smart power feature. I will investigate the Sunsynk as I haven't put in my order yet. Regards

What size deye are you looking at. I have the 8kw sunsynk and it has a fan. I think only the 5kw and 3.6kw sunsynk inverters do not have fans. Very happy with going for the sunsynk over the Deye. 

Hi All, I have checked out the Sunsynk and it looks fine. I will have an East West configuration so the 2 MPPTs was essential. I was concerned about the two reports that the Deye cause a buzz on some equipment. Thank you all for your input.

7 hours ago, Achmat said:

What size deye are you looking at. I have the 8kw sunsynk and it has a fan. I think only the 5kw and 3.6kw sunsynk inverters do not have fans. Very happy with going for the sunsynk over the Deye. 

I intend to put a 5kw inverter in. The installation manual of the 5kw shows a fan. I will check this out. Thank you for the comments

7 hours ago, Achmat said:

Hi Achmat, I intend to buy a 5kw system. I checked the manual of the Sunsynk and the 5kw shows a fan. After the comments I am most likely going to go the Sunsynk route.

• 1 year later...
On 2021/01/07 at 5:00 PM, TonyH said:

As I have researched I have discovered that the Deye neutral needs to be bonded to earth to prevent a floating neutral, when the inverter is off grid. The manual doesn't discuss the topic. Does anyone know if one of the auxiliary terminals can be used to drive a relay to earth the neutral? The auxiliary terminal is 1 -12. 1 and 2 are for the battery temperature probe and 3 and 4 are for the CT. I have searched and found no other information. Deye has as yet not replied to my query. Perhaps they are still on holiday. If someone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

did you find a solution?

is it bad not to bond neutral to earth ?

what floating neutral mean exactly?

Hi, yes the Deye can be used to drive a relay when the Inverter is on Island mode. You will have to contact them which contacts to use. Before I decided on Sunsynk I did send Deye China a request about which terminals to use but I received no feed-back.  

A floating neutral happens when the Inverter switches to Island mode. There is no connection between the Grid Neutral and the Neutral when on Island mode. On Grid mode the neutral gets the reference from the earth back at the Eskom distribution box. Legally the neutral of the inverter output is not allowed to be bound to the Grid neutral. When on island mode the auxiliary output should drive a relay which connects the output neutral to an earth spike, when on island mode. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2022/01/20 at 7:10 PM, TonyH said:

A floating neutral happens when the Inverter switches to Island mode. There is no connection between the Grid Neutral and the Neutral when on Island mode. On Grid mode the neutral gets the reference from the earth back at the Eskom distribution box. Legally the neutral of the inverter output is not allowed to be bound to the Grid neutral. When on island mode the auxiliary output should drive a relay which connects the output neutral to an earth spike, when on island mode. 

does floating neutral is the cause of the noise that coming out of my equipment ?

my pc is producing a white noise only when i am on deye

• 3 months later...
On 2022/01/20 at 7:03 PM, TonyH said:

Hi, yes the Deye can be used to drive a relay when the Inverter is on Island mode. You will have to contact them which contacts to use. Before I decided on Sunsynk I did send Deye China a request about which terminals to use but I received no feed-back.  

Hello.. Did you get any feedback? I have a Deye 5kw and want to know where to do this.. 

• 1 month later...

The new Deye manual shows where the ATS connection is. The ATS is where the connection is made to the Neutral /Earth  bonding relay is made. Just a note of caution. You should have a good earth spike to bond the earth at your home. This protects the ESKOM earth if according to San regulations for a power generator.

The older Deye manuals didn't show this ATS connection.

Deye ATS.jpg

3 minutes ago, TonyH said:

The new Deye manual shows where the ATS connection is. The ATS is where the connection is made to the Neutral /Earth  bonding relay is made. Just a note of caution. You should have a good earth spike to bond the earth at your home. This protects the ESKOM earth if according to San regulations for a power generator.

The older Deye manuals didn't show this ATS connection.

Deye ATS.jpg

I was under the impression that all earth's should be common ?  How would seperating them "protect " Eskoms earth?

When the Inverter is on Island mode the ATS relay pulls the neutral down to earth. If the neutrals aren't separated it is possible to power the neutral back to ESKOM even when they have isolated from their side. This is dangerous for all who are connected to the ESKOM neutral. seen below:

Split neutral diagram showing the principles for UPS or Solar.jpg

9 minutes ago, TonyH said:

When the Inverter is on Island mode the ATS relay pulls the neutral down to earth. If the neutrals aren't separated it is possible to power the neutral back to ESKOM even when they have isolated from their side. This is dangerous for all who are connected to the ESKOM neutral. seen below:

Split neutral diagram showing the principles for UPS or Solar.jpg

Ok but that would mean the system is not set up correctly as the neutrals always have to be separated ? If its not its going to be very unstable and have lots of nuisance tripping afaik.  Also how would power be able to go back to Eskom if you are creating a earth /neutral bond even if you had a neutral from the non essentials side ?

Edited by Nexuss

7 minutes ago, Nexuss said:

Ok but that would mean the system is not set up correctly as the neutrals always have to be separated ? If its not its going to be very unstable and have lots of nuisance tripping afaik.  Also how would power be able to go back to Eskom if you are creating a earth /neutral bond even if you had a neutral from the non essentials side ?

A lot of installers are not separating the Neutral of the UPS side or they are simply joining the neutral UPS to Neutral Eskom. This is illegal. If the installation is done according to the UPS diagram with a EL on the output of the Inverter there will be no nuisance trips, because the ATS relay only grounds the neutral when in island mode. The grid side of the inverter has a separate EL to the non essentials. For me that is only my Garage with a washing machine and a tumble dryer.