Big difference between municipal meter and inverter/logger

Hi, I am new to world of renewables. I have an 8kW Deye inverter (installed 6 January), with 18 x 330W panels (being installed today) and a US3000 battery. With the panels being installed a week after the inverter, it has given me a chance to monitor our power consumption from the grid for a week. The problem is that the inverter states that we've used 318kWh in the past 6 days, while the municipal meter has only read 181kWh. I would understand a small difference, but surely something is wrong with the inverter's readings?

1 hour ago, PaulinNorthcliff said:

I would imagine that your inverter is measuring the power going into it, AND the power going out of it. Do you have the clamp meter attached correctly?

I don't think that's the problem. See pic below, the clamp is only around the live wire coming in from the grid. I asked the installer, but I don't agree with his view that the inverter needs to "build a memory" before the readings will be accurate. With the panels now online, I will post the readings again on Sunday (municipal + generation should be close to consumption + losses)...

20210113_082734.jpg

2 minutes ago, FixAMess said:

Its not only about the correct wire placement but is the clamp facing the correct direction, or is that not an issue with Sunsync?

The clamp must be in the right direction for the sunsynk as well. 

I don't have this issue with my 8kw sunsynk inverter. 

Thanks all. It was actually plain to see (once I removed the clamp. The clamp has an arrow indicating the direction in which energy should flow. However, the installer probably found that the clamp was difficult to install the correct way around, so he just took the easy way out. I've managed to get the clamp out, but I'm struggling to install it again. I am sure that was the problem, but will give feedback later. Thanks a lot!

1 hour ago, Degert said:

Thanks all. It was actually plain to see (once I removed the clamp. The clamp has an arrow indicating the direction in which energy should flow. However, the installer probably found that the clamp was difficult to install the correct way around, so he just took the easy way out. I've managed to get the clamp out, but I'm struggling to install it again. I am sure that was the problem, but will give feedback later. Thanks a lot!

You can actually also just swap the wires from the clamp on the inverter instead of turning the clamp around. 

Edited by Achmat

1 hour ago, Degert said:

See my earlier comment about "attached correctly"...

Glad you got sorted.

Thanks PaulinNorthcliff and everyone else. I've now changed the clamp, but a different problem popped up. I am now generating 27W of power (impossible), consuming 0W, and exporting 1.1kW to the grid (so it's showing -1.1kW). My grid feedback is blocked (as set by installer, zero export to CT), and I've checked that the wheel/meter is not turning backwards. It was stationary and at times moving forward. I assume that the direction WAS in fact correct, and I now need to change it back?

image.png.c012ee8da72f437e676cc4e320c2a860.png

Edited by Degert

It seems to be the wrong way around now as the value should only be negative if you are feeding back. 

Not familiar with the Deye user interface but there should be a screen that shows the reading from the CT on the inverter itself. 

I had an issue with my sunsynk and there seems to be two different sets of connection points on the inverter to connect the CT coil. I had it on the first connection and it had to change it to the second one. 

This is from the 8kw sunsynk. I initially had it on CT L1 and had to move it to CT L2. 

Screenshot_20210113-153426_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20210113-153518_Photos.jpg

Hi

I have had similar problems as my manual in the box  for a 8kw was wrong with confirmation from Sunsynk. You can download the correct installation manual from the Sunsynk web sight if it shows connection on (3 an4) CT1 which is wrong.

The correct connection is on (5 and 6) CT2. You also do not have to change the ct around you will only have to swop the wires in the inverter on 5 and 6.

Your photo shows a wrong connection on (3 and 5)

I am sure this will sort out your problem.

19 minutes ago, Peter Topp said:

Hi

I have had similar problems as my manual in the box  for a 8kw was wrong with confirmation from Sunsynk. You can download the correct installation manual from the Sunsynk web sight if it shows connection on (3 an4) CT1 which is wrong.

The correct connection is on (5 and 6) CT2. You also do not have to change the ct around you will only have to swop the wires in the inverter on 5 and 6.

Your photo shows a wrong connection on (3 and 5)

I am sure this will sort out your problem.

Hi Peter. That picture was from Achmat, showing how he solved his issue. My wires were correct from the get-go (on CT2), as you can see below.  But who knows, maybe the gremlins will disappear after playing around with the clamp...

20210113_205959.jpg

Hi Achmat.  I'm battling to get wifi setup going to connect the app.  Always say something of the carractors in the password.  Had % sign in password.  So removed that so its only DFG1234 now. Just example but still does not want to connect to my wifi.  How do you get upgrade software.  Have 2 x 8kva in parallel but with diffirent version firmware.

1 minute ago, R Cerva said:

Hi Achmat.  I'm battling to get wifi setup going to connect the app.  Always say something of the carractors in the password.  Had % sign in password.  So removed that so its only DFG1234 now. Just example but still does not want to connect to my wifi.  How do you get upgrade software.  Have 2 x 8kva in parallel but with diffirent version firmware.

Do you have the Deye or Sunsynk inverter?

I also had issues connecting the dongle to my home wifi network. Had to first remove any special characters in the password for my home network and the dongle only connects to 2.4GHz wifi networks.

You can only request a software upgrade from their support and the wifi dongle must be connected. You will need to give them the dongle and inverter serial numbers.

10 hours ago, Achmat said:

Do you have the Deye or Sunsynk inverter?

I also had issues connecting the dongle to my home wifi network. Had to first remove any special characters in the password for my home network and the dongle only connects to 2.4GHz wifi networks.

You can only request a software upgrade from their support and the wifi dongle must be connected. You will need to give them the dongle and inverter serial numbers.

Hi.  Have the Deye model nr. SUN-8K-SG01LP1-EU.  2 Units in parallel.  Maybe you can help me out as well.  I connected a generator to my system and want to use it only to charge the batteries.  Maybe you can pick up my topic under invertors i think.

So after 1 day's proper measurements (not fiddling with the clamp), this is what I got:

Municipal energy used (meter readings): 16.2kWh

Energy purchased according to inverter: 39.3kWh

Energy generated + municipal energy: 34.7kWh

Total consumption energy according to inverter: 56.1kWh

Perhaps someone else could do the same exercise to compare? I am still waiting for Deye to respond about my firmware version.

17 minutes ago, Degert said:

I am still waiting for Deye to respond about my firmware version.

Shabir +27 (082) 504-4510. Located in Johannesburg is the Deye Technical Support in SA. He came out to my property and updated firmware for me in December.

I believe my firmware is ver 3874, if that sounds correct.

Edited by PaulinNorthcliff