Modest Loadshedding Kit

Stephen5

Hi all,

I am finally ready to bite the bullet and install a simple loadshedding kit. I am looking at the Sunsynk 5KW hybrid inverter and the Hubble 2.75Kw Lithium battery from the power forum store. I am supplied directly from Eskom so the price per kWh is still relatively low so I'm not looking at solar panels just yet but I do want the flexibility to add them later on. We are only loadshed for 2.5 hours at the moment. Heaters and stove are gas. I am only looking to be able to run about 20 led downlighters (maybe 4w each), standard wifi router, LED TV and a CPAP (for sleep apnea) machine at night. 

I would just want to confirm that the 2.75kw battery would be more than sufficient to power these devices for 4 hours (assuming we will hit level 4 at some stage this winter)? And secondly, is there any good reason to swop the Sunsynk for a Victron Multiplus, the latter being quite a bit more expensive? I can't really see that you get many additional features with the Victron except maybe build-quality and excellent branding?

Goes without saying that I am a noob. Thanks in advance!

Stephen 

5 minutes ago, Stephen5 said:

Hi all,

I am finally ready to bite the bullet and install a simple loadshedding kit. I am looking at the Sunsynk 5KW hybrid inverter and the Hubble 2.75Kw Lithium battery from the power forum store. I am supplied directly from Eskom so the price per kWh is still relatively low so I'm not looking at solar panels just yet but I do want the flexibility to add them later on. We are only loadshed for 2.5 hours at the moment. Heaters and stove are gas. I am only looking to be able to run about 20 led downlighters (maybe 4w each), standard wifi router, LED TV and a CPAP (for sleep apnea) machine at night. 

I would just want to confirm that the 2.75kw battery would be more than sufficient to power these devices for 4 hours (assuming we will hit level 4 at some stage this winter)? And secondly, is there any good reason to swop the Sunsynk for a Victron Multiplus, the latter being quite a bit more expensive? I can't really see that you get many additional features with the Victron except maybe build-quality and excellent branding?

Stephen 

The one battery should be more than adequate for those devices. 

The sunsynk is a very good inverter with multiple upgrade and configuration options in a single device without needing any further add ons. 

Issue I had with victron at the time I did my install was not just the price but also the need for additional equipment. 

Sunsynk is really trying to improve their service and expansion in South Africa with a dedicated local service centre. It's the most popular inverter currently and victron will need to come out with better products and reduce their price if they want to remain relevant and competitive in South Africa. 

On 2021/06/03 at 10:19 AM, Stephen5 said:

Hi all,

Stephen 

If you could, I would recommend that you try to get the Hubble AM-2. It cost 50% more but gives you double the capacity, which is a lot more headroom. That should give you the ability to run all the lights in your home and you can add more appliances such as fridge / freezer, garage door motors etc. 

The AM-3 will quickly be too small when you add solar and you will also be limited to max 2.75kw peak power draw on your inverter.