Top Loader washing machine on solar

Hi everybody

I'm a newbie to the forum and a total dummy to solar and electricity in general.

I've installed a 5kVA inverter, 4.8KW Lithium Ion and 6 x 330W panels complete with COC. The installation is very stable and meet all my requirements and running on gas for the geyser and stove. However, I'm afraid to use my LG 13kg top loader washing machine from the inverter for the simple reason that the machine's washing motion is to spin the drum in a clock and anti-clock manner. Since the machine is 10 years old I could not establish from the specs the wattage needed or the consumption of the latter.

Can this alternating motion harm the installation in any way? 

Thanks

If it has an economy mode, try using that. All our appliances run on economy mode now. My washing machine has one energy spike that goes up to about 2kw, and thats about it as far as heavy consumption. It then runs quite low. As mentioned above. Try it out and see how it goes

Posted (edited)

Hi, You dont say what inverter and what battery. Your LG is still and AC device, the inverter will not know what the drum is doing.  This is what I find on the LG13kg

• Power Consumption Speed RPM (S)* 700 RPM(±50)
  • Rating Real: 220V~, 50Hz Mark: 220V~, 50Hz Soak Yes.
  • Hot Wash Yes Cold Wash Yes.
  • Dimension (W*D*H) 590*606*960 Dimension with packing (W*D*H) 630x677x1035.
  • Net Weight(kg) 39.65kg Weight with packing(kg) 44.86kg.
  • Stuffing : 40 ft (H) 114.
    How many watts does an LG washing machine use?
    1700 Watts

The LG Front load fully automatic washing machine consumes 1700 Watts of power.

Your 5kw is more than capable to run this machine. But to be safe , just watch on the inverter what is the power usage, Make sure now other appliances are also on and then run the washing machine while checking the power usage on the inverter. Also is this during the day or at night?

Edited by RyanG
Did not notice front loaded, Top loader even less ower Consumption 200W Speed RPM (S)* 700 RPM(±50)

Just to underline what's already been said, there should be no problems. I have an LG top loader of similar age. No issues with using it with the solar system.  We always run a cold wash. 

You are prudent to consider such things, but I don't see a problem here.

14 hours ago, GTP said:

If it has an economy mode, try using that. All our appliances run on economy mode now. My washing machine has one energy spike that goes up to about 2kw, and thats about it as far as heavy consumption. It then runs quite low. As mentioned above. Try it out and see how it goes

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

13 hours ago, RyanG said:

Hi, You dont say what inverter and what battery. Your LG is still and AC device, the inverter will not know what the drum is doing.  This is what I find on the LG13kg

• Power Consumption Speed RPM (S)* 700 RPM(±50)
  • Rating Real: 220V~, 50Hz Mark: 220V~, 50Hz Soak Yes.
  • Hot Wash Yes Cold Wash Yes.
  • Dimension (W*D*H) 590*606*960 Dimension with packing (W*D*H) 630x677x1035.
  • Net Weight(kg) 39.65kg Weight with packing(kg) 44.86kg.
  • Stuffing : 40 ft (H) 114.
    How many watts does an LG washing machine use?
    1700 Watts

The LG Front load fully automatic washing machine consumes 1700 Watts of power.

Your 5kw is more than capable to run this machine. But to be safe , just watch on the inverter what is the power usage, Make sure now other appliances are also on and then run the washing machine while checking the power usage on the inverter. Also is this during the day or at night?

Thanks for the advice. The machine is operated in cold water and during daytime only.

11 minutes ago, Bobster said:

Just to underline what's already been said, there should be no problems. I have an LG top loader of similar age. No issues with using it with the solar system.  We always run a cold wash. 

You are prudent to consider such things, but I don't see a problem here.

Thanks

20 hours ago, gooseberry said:

If you can, set it to use cold water only. We have a Bosch front loader washing machine on a 3kVA Multi with 1.8kWP and 5kWh off-grid and it barely makes a dent as long as you don't heat water.

This.

I also have a Bosch and when it's set to cold it only uses around 100-150W and then during the spin cycle it ramps up to about 400W at max rpm. 

If you set the temperature even to just 30 degrees it pulls 1900W before the drum even starts moving.