Yet Another SunSynk 5kW Install

We all like show and tell, right?  So creating my placeholder for my install that will be taking place over the coming weeks/months.

Planned Equipment:

• SunSynk 5kW
  • Hubble AM-2 5.5
  • 12x 455W JA Solar in 2 strings 

Looking forward to sharing the build and running of the implementation over the next period.

20 hours ago, conradl said:

planning this exact install as well. :) Stock seems to be an issue at the moment

Indeed, waiting for the battery. And 2 of the panels that arrived broken - so they were returned before the courier could offload them.  It has been three weeks now. So hopefully soon those pieces will arrive.

On 2021/12/04 at 6:53 AM, StickeyTape said:

We all like show and tell, right?  So creating my placeholder for my install that will be taking place over the coming weeks/months.

Planned Equipment:

• SunSynk 5kW
  • Hubble AM-2 5.5
  • 12x 455W JA Solar in 2 strings 

Looking forward to sharing the build and running of the implementation over the next period.

Finally got the panels onto the roof. 3 more to go for array 2

20211201_122720.jpg

On 2021/12/06 at 6:52 AM, StickeyTape said:

Indeed, waiting for the battery. And 2 of the panels that arrived broken - so they were returned before the courier could offload them.  It has been three weeks now. So hopefully soon those pieces will arrive.

Finally the last 2 panels arrived today. Tomorrow they will go up to complete PV2.

Got to get some work done today - the beauty of holiday projects and holidays. Now that both PV Arrays are wired up to the DC Distribution, getting the inverter and other isolators and things onto the wall ready for wiring.

Layout drawn onto wall for spacing and placement of component

pf_20211127_185011.thumb.jpg.e16b5b6a57454b0649f5869ea5a2d708.jpg

Inverter Mounting Bracket onto the Wall

pf_20211127_185635.thumb.jpg.adf42bfe3727802c6b6e9b558b7d2af9.jpg

PV DC Termination from Panels, ready and waiting for some feeds and cabling

pf_20211202_162005.thumb.jpg.3ebbd30ba6b3c2248f1dc1d08064a8d9.jpg

Will get some more progress pictures going as this project progresses. 

Just some update on the wiring progress. Panels are wired to DC DBs and connected onto inverter.  Some wiring still in progress.

20211223_055433.jpg

20211223_055409.jpg

20211223_055517.jpg

Update: See post below on wire type for bridging DC breakers and comment regarding safety of the fuse holders ito wiring direction and regulations.

Edited by StickeyTape

49 minutes ago, phoenix752 said:

It's ideal to supply your fuse holders from the top so the fuse will be dead when removing it for whatever reason. If you supply it from the bottom, it remains live even when the holder is opened

It also is against SANS regs. Line at the top, load at the bottom unless clearly labelled

On 2021/12/15 at 3:49 PM, StickeyTape said:

Layout drawn onto wall for spacing and placement of component

pf_20211127_185011.thumb.jpg.e16b5b6a57454b0649f5869ea5a2d708.jpg

Hi Stickey. Quick question: did you take the conduit going to the plug in consideration when you drilled the holes  for the base plate or were you "lucky" or does the supply come from  a other side? Enjoy

Edited by Vaal

On 2021/12/27 at 9:56 AM, Vaal said:

Hi Stickey. Quick question: did you take the conduit going to the plug in consideration when you drilled the holes  for the base plate or were you "lucky" or does the supply come from  a other side? Enjoy

🤪 luckily I built the house so know that the conduit runs straight down.

4 hours ago, StickeyTape said:

🤪 luckily I built the house so know that the conduit runs straight down.

Haha that's good to know, I once drilled a hole through a conduit on purpose, so that I  didn't have to chase a wall. I just had to "fish" for the wires through the hole into the conduit and did the connections inside the switch's box. 

My battery arrived this week. Oh boy what a breeze to get the Hubble AM-2 installed configured and BMS talking to the Sunsynk.

This baby is about to get his first charge up. Looks like a nice full sunny day.

Then start setting up the Work Mode settings to match our home usage profile. 

20220108_074659.jpg

21 minutes ago, StickeyTape said:

My battery arrived this week. Oh boy what a breeze to get the Hubble AM-2 installed configured and BMS talking to the Sunsynk.

This baby is about to get his first charge up. Looks like a nice full sunny day.

Then start setting up the Work Mode settings to match our home usage profile. 

20220108_074659.jpg

Very nice install! I have 2 of these Hubbles and also was super easy to Config. Have never seen the battery temp go above 28 degrees. 

On 2022/01/04 at 9:58 AM, Bataleon said:

Great build, @StickeyTape. How many kWh is this system expected to produce annually?

Production is also a function of use. As the inverter reports production in the context of use. Ie. It might be able to produce more, but if there is no use/load for it then it tones itself down. Im not exporting to grid.

Ive gone from about 25 units average per day grid to about 5 to 7 units per day before I installed the batery. 

Will know in a week or so if the battery made more grid reduction improvement.

1 hour ago, StickeyTape said:

Production is also a function of use. As the inverter reports production in the context of use. Ie. It might be able to produce more, but if there is no use/load for it then it tones itself down. Im not exporting to grid.

Ive gone from about 25 units average per day grid to about 5 to 7 units per day before I installed the batery. 

Will know in a week or so if the battery made more grid reduction improvement.

True that, but if you are like some of us, you may find that your usage actually increases, because you can now afford it 😁  My own usage went from just over 300kWh per month to 380, and in the past year in total I bought only 196kWh from Eskom, a reduction of 96.4%.

I think that what @Bataleon was referring to was the potential yield.

Here is is great tool, with my own potential yield is 6.757MWh per year.

https://globalsolaratlas.info/detail?c=-25.978763,28.061957,15&s=-25.992227,28.061914&m=site&pv=small,185,26,6

On 2022/01/09 at 5:59 AM, YellowTapemeasure said:

True that, but if you are like some of us, you may find that your usage actually increases, because you can now afford it 😁  My own usage went from just over 300kWh per month to 380, and in the past year in total I bought only 196kWh from Eskom, a reduction of 96.4%.

I think that what @Bataleon was referring to was the potential yield.

Here is is great tool, with my own potential yield is 6.757MWh per year.

https://globalsolaratlas.info/detail?c=-25.978763,28.061957,15&s=-25.992227,28.061914&m=site&pv=small,185,26,6

According to the tool, with my configuration and panel size and location it predicts a production capability of around 7.338MWh per year.

image.thumb.png.0846a3a82c8ff8de3b0ec25b1c617342.png

Below some sample real measurements of my install for this month.

image.thumb.png.fbced04febd59afb464c90816b2bc37a.png

NOTES:

• Battery was only installed on 6th.   
  • Most of the grid is from my old 3kW inefficient geyser in the morning before the sun comes up. (my next project then that geyser dies)
  • plus about 300W - 500W odd feed off grid in the morning hours after the battery runs to 40% SOC. [have not done SOC lower than 40% yet]
  • plus the odd days when my tenant decides to cook up a storm in the flat 😞

4 hours ago, StickeyTape said:

According to the tool, with my configuration and panel size and location it predicts a production capability of around 7.338MWh per year.

image.thumb.png.0846a3a82c8ff8de3b0ec25b1c617342.png

Below some sample real measurements of my install for this month.

image.thumb.png.fbced04febd59afb464c90816b2bc37a.png

NOTES:

• Battery was only installed on 6th.   
  • Most of the grid is from my old 3kW inefficient geyser in the morning before the sun comes up. (my next project then that geyser dies)
  • plus about 300W - 500W odd feed off grid in the morning hours after the battery runs to 40% SOC. [have not done SOC lower than 40% yet]
  • plus the odd days when my tenant decides to cook up a storm in the flat 😞

Interesting, looking at your azimuth, are your panels facing SSE?