SunSynk 12kW, Hubble AM2’s, Cloudlink (RIOT) and JA 460 Panels

Been a long time coming with numerous different designs and options having been investigated and finally had enough of load shedding and ‘tripping’ power stations (not to mention the loss to fires).  First things first, thanks to this forum and those behind the scenes for some extraordinary information, guidance and confirmation on many unknown aspects, following which I thought it only fit to share the outcome on the showcase.

Planned to accommodate a 3-Phase environment, with average daily use of up to 55.67kWh, with numerous obstacles, such as 3DB’s in the house, the main enclosure located in the scullery and wanting/having to install the solar solution in the garage (based on size).  This required some planning on getting the Grid to the garage and the Load to the scullery.
3 Geysers in the house, already managed by Geyserwise Max units, thus could add their own solar plants, however opted to just use the timers and temp control for now and try and
centralise everything to one generation source and avoid having to manage multiple plants.

DIY install, thus will progress as time permits and as the accessories are gathered, down to the ferrules.

Solution: 1 x 12kW SunSynk, 4 x Hubble AM2, Hubble Cloudlink, 18 x JA460 PV – 3 strings(6),  3-string DC Combiner, JM Keto-1 240A isolator.

IMG-1532.jpg

IMG-1590.jpg

8 hours ago, McAllstar said:

Do you know what that conduit is called and where i can get it? 

Hi,
Known as OBO and available from O-Line in either single (100x53) or double runs (165*53).
Multiple accessories, including internal divider to separate cabling.   
Has a little price tag, but looking at the quality and ease of installation, worth every penny.

I ordered online and they delivered the next morning.

Products - Building installations - Device Installation Ducts and Trunking
https://www.o-line.co.za/products/building-installations/device-installation-ducts-and-trunking/
Select product and then scroll down for associated accesories.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Final install complete and was just in time for the latest bout of load-shedding.  With this implementation, almost impossible to identify whether load-shedding's active. 

Minor adjustments in play as one finds the sweat spots, based on PV performance and ensuring optimal PV utilisation.  Seen a number of posts which also agree to prioritise load and let battery charge over the day, thus ensures optimal usage of PV and not letting generation power go to waste.   Obviously those with smaller battery stores will need to alter this during load shedding, but this lot only trickles down about 6-8% during a 2hr load-shedding period.
Still having some minor issues with regards to ATS activation (posted question in this regard), otherwise this combination of equipment definitely seems to be an optimal matchup and definitely capable of delivering the anticipated load.
Will also be working on some solutions to control geysers further during repetitive load-shedding (stage 4+).

PS. Some chainsaw action still required on the western trees. 😅 

Completed.jpg

panels.JPG

Edited by AC-DC

Looking very neat and tidy, with the big boy SunSynk in the middle, and the line of capable AM-2's below. Lovely finish.:)👍

Now just those trees to be dealt with. Will you be doing the job, or getting someone in?

I have just finished cutting down a number of huge trees the whole of last week, as during winter the one string was shaded until 10H30. My goodness it's dangerous and nerve wreaking work. Had to get two vehicles involved to make sure some branches and trees fall where you want them too.

Now you have your system up and working you find yourself daring Eskom to have load-shedding. 😂

Enjoy your system and the power freedom.👍

Thanks @TimCam, left enough space for the parallel unit, however so far looking as if the single unit is handling the house. 😅
Load shedding has been a breeze, incl. the latest Stage6. 😁

Geysers (and trees) are the biggest pain and struggling with those geysers (already on Geyserwise) feeding off the second DB board upstairs, as currently still unable to provide a second three phase feed to that DB and hence cannot split essential / non-essential on that board.  (3xDB boards in house).
Main board has split, where other geyser, stove and oven are left as non essential.

Currently building solution (Sonoff) to switch off geysers upstairs during both power failure/load shedding, which will be triggered using relay on the ATS output.
My relay has two N/O connections, use one for PE/N bond and other as trigger for Geyser shutdown.
Originally was looking at some threads which used Eskom' input to control geysers and other during load shedding, however one also runs the risk of normal grid failure and would have to cater for those instances too.   

8 hours ago, Derek Ramos said:

@AC-DCyour installation is great! This install with the use of your trunking and layout is what inspired my install 👍🏼 Thanks 

Great to hear of the inspiration Derek, looking really good so far. 
Mine was also mainly solo and thus takes time, but the detail and staged approach, pays off in the end.  Enjoy!

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 2022/07/04 at 10:07 PM, HiTech said:

Great to hear of the inspiration Derek, looking really good so far. 
Mine was also mainly solo and thus takes time, but the detail and staged approach, pays off in the end.  Enjoy!

Absolutely love the install and I have copied it! Thanks HiTech! I would like to know what Hager contactor you used (model no) and also where you found the grey conduit and fittings. Thanks!

On 2022/03/28 at 6:55 PM, HiTech said:

Hi,
Known as OBO and available from O-Line in either single (100x53) or double runs (165*53).
Multiple accessories, including internal divider to separate cabling.   
Has a little price tag, but looking at the quality and ease of installation, worth every penny.

I ordered online and they delivered the next morning.

Products - Building installations - Device Installation Ducts and Trunking
https://www.o-line.co.za/products/building-installations/device-installation-ducts-and-trunking/
Select product and then scroll down for associated accesories.

Seems like they no longer sell this stuff - one gets redirected and finally end up looking at what is basically normal 40x40mm trunking you can get anywhere...

• 5 weeks later...
On 2023/05/04 at 5:39 PM, Weimaraner said:

Absolutely love the install and I have copied it! Thanks HiTech! I would like to know what Hager contactor you used (model no) and also where you found the grey conduit and fittings. Thanks!

Searched all over for Grey Flex Conduit and especially the grey connectors.  Eventually resorted to looking overseas.  Once I had identified the options, I found RS Components could bring this in for me and ordered through them. 

As for the Contactor, Used the ESC240, however as mentioned this was not required on 3-phase and ultimately used this to control LED status lights and trigger Sonof MINI for load shedding controls - geysers, etc.

(PS. Apologies on late response, was traveling abroad).

IMG-2293.jpg

On 2023/05/10 at 9:09 AM, Saliegh said:

Beautiful installation. I true pleasure to look at.

If I may ask a question... Did you consider using a busbar for the installation? If you did, why did you decide against it?

Hi Saliegh,

I did consider, however found I was going to have to cable the batteries in any case and this led to me looking for the ultimate layout to ensure cable lengths could be maintained.  With this design, I have Positive running from Left (Batt 1) and Negative from Right (Batt 4) and found busbar would have just increased the install requirements with no benefit.   I believe if you cannot maintain the cable lengths (evenly spaced equipment) or the 50mm cable is too costly, then busbar would make sense.

• 5 months later...
On 2023/11/13 at 10:25 AM, Diabolix said:

@HiTech I see from their online portal one can only add to your whislist now? I emailed them to see how does one order.

Hi, 
Yes you add to the wishlist and then send the wishlist through to the appropriate branch, they will send you the invoice and payment details.
I've just completed another installation and they literally delivered the following day after ordering, once again.