Suggestions for hybrid / solar system

superdiy

So many possibilities with the Infini. :)

Haha maybe the reason for the name infini??  :D

Will be interested to come and have a look at your system once it's up and running!!

I have thought of just getting a 3kw plus for a start to get going and then maybe at a later stage switch to the 5kw unit once it's available and smous the 3kw...

For CoCT I know you are suppose to be able to show a test certificate for the inverter by some organisations. I see a lot of the other known brands are on the list but I suppose the infini is still a bit new. Is there any certification that states that it complies and is tested to the 097.2 (I think) standard??, can't remeber the exact details of the standard now...

I'm not looking to register as a net metering client cause it's a rip off, but do want to have my ducks in a row for the unlikely time that someone pays my system a visit and wants to see some docs...

No, I have no idea about the test certificate for the Infini.  If they have an issue with the Infini, I'll either go off-grid or split my setup.

I'm also not going to register for net metering - R400 to have the option 0c / KWh fed in to the grid.

Hey Guys.

Not sure if this if definite... but heard they not to going bring in the 5KW Infini to SA Market.  That the email / answer I got from an importer / warehouse people this morning.  

Superdiy:

Did you measure your Loadput ouput from your Grid? What your Peak load?

I love the Infini inverter, but my peak load is from 4.2- 4.9kw for couple min, So it hesistant to go for it...  (So Infini 3KW Plus -  so busy / trying to figure a way to bring it down before I purchase the Infini 3K plus.) 

Hence for the 5KW Hybrid Inverter wait..  (I can parallel the two Axpert.... but not too keen on two inverters) 

I totally agree: Im against City of Cape Town: Net metering.  R400. 

Hi Steggo

I currently have a 3KVA UPS and all the essentials are already running from the UPS.  It sometimes reaches close to 100% load when the vacuum cleaner or the microwave oven or the hairdryer and a lot of the other smaller appliances are running at the same time.  All the heavy users, e.g. kettle, stove, air-cons etc. are not connected via the UPS, so I've never measured peak load.

You're looking for 5KW, why not go for a single Axpert 5KVA then - just keep in mind that they are only rated 4.2KW - not 5KW.  They do support overloads for short periods.

Think I have decided to go with the Microcare 3KW GTI  (with Grid Tie Limiter option as I have prepaid) 

I know the Hybrid inverter is more the way to go.... 

1) My original intent to get the cost down. (Wait a year and get hold of the CoCT to apply for  the basic life line category - to provide more saving and pay less for Units   (also maybe lucky to get extra 15 - 25KW free per month :P  )   

2) No load output  limitation like the Hybrid / Bi Directional / Off Grid

3) No 5KW Infini yet..   :(     - But it likely be priced similiar to R30K should it be released. 

4) Cost effective solution  (Due to no batteries required)

5) Well aware if my grid is offline.  My Grid Tie will stop functioning.  But that okay, as I be looking at Rechargeable LEB bulbs... and Geco Light (researching this now)   and other solar outdoor LED light solution as well

and got gas / Blitz / Coal / Braai  for cooking :P

6) Imeon too pricey.   I did see an Goodwe Hybrid Inverter (but not considering as I suspect it will a little cheaper than Imeon) ... but I saw on other forum - there many issues / complaint with it.  (fimware , support etc..) 

Anyway: Can alway sell my Microcare when newer / smart hybrid becomes available and (who know better pricing on Lion Lithium Battery - Dreaming...) 

Thanks to all the guy for their input and knowledge. Really appreciated it :)

Regards,

Steggo

Hi Steggo,

I think Mike had a 3kw Micro Care unit for sale.

To go onto life line with your power you need to be below 450 units per month for at least 12 months, AND your property needs to be valued at LESS than R350,000.

I think the City of Cape Town brought in the last part to screw over the middle class :(

Hey Wetkit..

Thanks for "wetting" my morning and my coffee with Property value statement / news   *arrgh*   (rather mad at CoCT *again*..)

I will act dumb and apply anyway.. who knows.  

Mike sold his unit...

I have not ordered the Microcare yet but for now ... most going likely to head that way.. but going to have serious  hard look at all the other options this week and order one.

• 3 months later...

I can get the Axpert 5kw with mppt controller for R14500 plus R250 transport to me

Hi Mike

Newby but exploring options...  is this price still valid?  what is the 3KVA or 5 KVA Infini Plus price now?

I currently have a small MSW cheapo inverter but want to expand with more panels (Virtus II 300W) and batteries.

Is there a minimum size for the Ah for a 48V battery bank and does the Infini support a 24V option?

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mike

Newby but exploring options...  is this price still valid?  what is the 3KVA or 5 KVA Infini Plus price now?

I currently have a small MSW cheapo inverter but want to expand with more panels (Virtus II 300W) and batteries.

Is there a minimum size for the Ah for a 48V battery bank and does the Infini support a 24V option?

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark

If I may answer a few of your questions in the mean time, Voltronic Power still only have the infini 3KW and infini 10KW (3 phase) models on the market.

The infini inverters require a 48V battery bank - no 24V option. The minimum charging current can be set to 5A and the manual recommends the smallest battery bank to be 25AH, but then the batteries would be charged at C/5 which is quite high - it is better to charge the batteries at a lower rate and C/10 is usually recommended. Working with a value of C/10 would give you a battery bank of 50AH minimum.

Hi Mark

If I may answer a few of your questions in the mean time, Voltronic Power still only have the infini 3KW and infini 10KW (3 phase) models on the market.

The infini inverters require a 48V battery bank - no 24V option. The minimum charging current can be set to 5A and the manual recommends the smallest battery bank to be 25AH, but then the batteries would be charged at C/5 which is quite high - it is better to charge the batteries at a lower rate and C/10 is usually recommended. Working with a value of C/10 would give you a battery bank of 50AH minimum.

Many Thanks

Appreciate the feedback... now to start saving ;)

Regards

Mark

• 2 months later...

This is just my opinion, but it may not be worth the extra cash for a 5KW system, if you only spike to 4.8Kw occasionally. We use a 4Kw Axpert with PV during the day, use the dish washer, clothes washer, kettle, microwave, hair driver, TV, etc. The only difference is, don't use two heavy usage items together. The dish washer consumes about 250W, for 3 hours! The kettle, 2Kw for 5 minutes.