Sunsynk 8KW issues, well maybe CT really

brian1709

Have a question that has me baffeled and I might just be missing something or am just stupid.

Have a solar installation with

Sunsynk 8KW inverter 

14 x JA 540W panels and 

2 X Hubble AM2 5.5Kw lithium batteries.

When the install was done the installer was unable to finish the CT install as the cable was to short.

Rest of the installation was completed and system brought online.

Now I am having some issues around the data as given by the Inverter. My question is really, "Is this due to the CT not being present or is there some other issue here?"

and what System mode can I use to get around this. Living with D is probably the closest to real except power load will never be right.

See attached pis of the system mode and the data output and the problem I have around it or is this just something I have to live with till that CT is in place.

A) PIC 1 and 2  (Solar panel output is not correct...is this being cliped to only give required fot load?)

B  PIC 5 and 4 (Have no idea what this is ( battery feed and solar feed, but not enough to do 

anything, but load is still powered in real life)

C) PIC 6 and 7 (Closer to the real solar output but feeding into the grid)

D) PIC 8 and 9 (The real solar outpu, no grid feed but not anywhere close to real load)

Just want no feed into grid, Load priority and battery charge on overflow.

Any guidance will be much appreciated

Untitled1.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

Untitled4.jpg

Untitled5.jpg

Untitled6.jpg

Untitled7.jpg

Untitled8.jpg

Untitled9.jpg

Edited by brian1709
add info

You will have to get that CT in place to prevent no feeding into the grid. This is the only way for the inverter to know your non essential is not using all the power coming from the panels. If you switch on more high loads during the day you will see the feed back into grid will reduce.  This being without the CT as at present.

Thanks Tony, the guys are here now doing that, I'll make sure that they are aware of it.

My main concern is stil that with my settings as it currently stand

Zero Export + Limit to load only ... the reading for my PV is fine as long as the load is high (charging batteries etc.)

The moment the load drops the solar data seems to clip down to only load + inverter power (input data being driven by output requirement)

If I add load the solar output goes up with the load requirement.

I need to know what my PV output is in reality.

Is this due to the lack of the CT or due to a faulty setting on the System mode

On my Deye my solar output is being displayed as the real W available at that moment, irrespective of the load, but then again I have a CT on that inverter with an essential and non-essential side.

On 2022/10/06 at 10:57 PM, Scorp007 said:

You will have to get that CT in place to prevent no feeding into the grid. This is the only way for the inverter to know your non essential is not using all the power coming from the panels. If you switch on more high loads during the day you will see the feed back into grid will reduce.  This being without the CT as at present.

Thanks for the answer, have the CT in place now and for most part it seem to stop the feed back into the grid, but I still have no idea what my PV output is under the settings.

What is the correct system mode as I currently have Zero Export + Limit to load only and Solar export off and the data is definetly not right as far as PV is concerned.

1 hour ago, brian1709 said:

Thanks for the answer, have the CT in place now and for most part it seem to stop the feed back into the grid, but I still have no idea what my PV output is under the settings.

What is the correct system mode as I currently have Zero Export + Limit to load only and Solar export off and the data is definetly not right as far as PV is concerned.

Zero Export + Limit to load will only power the "UPS" or essentials. If that is what you want, then it is correct.

Share a pic of why your PV data is incorrect?

41 minutes ago, YellowTapemeasure said:

Zero Export + Limit to load will only power the "UPS" or essentials. If that is what you want, then it is correct.

Share a pic of why your PV data is incorrect?

HI, yes the UPS side is correct and the data is correct.

See attached my Deye 8kw with same PV and same battery setup.  Maybe I am expecting something from the Sunsynk it cannot deliver but seeing as it is basically the same Inverter I am not sure.

The Deye gives a continious W reading of what the PV in generating and that is reflected in the flow diagram irrespective of the load. Not tr

Fig 1.

image.thumb.jpeg.abb3a5c51b536a35174a9db2bc2e6ac0.jpeg

The Sunsynk on the other hand gives a reading for Solar output = Load + 65W (inverter ??)

Fig 2.

image.thumb.jpeg.3a64325b9eec55139b1d7aff0916e959.jpeg

So I am expecting something like  

Fig 3.

image.thumb.jpeg.c5d614a96da02dde9eb916a4d763c7dd.jpeg

and Power Flow that reflect that data points on the green Bell Curve but instead I am getting Load + 65W.

So if Load is 450W , power flow solar Icon shows at 516W. If I add load the Solar increase with it.

My problem is I have no idea what my actual PV output is based on the power flow diagram

Fig 4.                                                                                                                                          STAYS AT LOAD + 65

image.thumb.jpeg.e9e7f4764979252b4826c6e019ac7385.jpeg

Am I expecting something the Sunsynk doesn't do or am I looking in the wrong place? When I look at the  PV in detail same thing....CLIPPED

Fig 5.

image.thumb.jpeg.a92caf05d0f76e6411bb99ecc8ee3e72.jpeg

It is driving me nuts.

36 minutes ago, brian1709 said:

Okay, on my Deye I am running Zero Export to load the other two options being export to grid and Zero export to CT.

Is the Sunsynk different?

The features on the Sunsynk and the Deye are from what I could see basically the same, just the menu layout was different.

On the Deye, have you got the "solar sell" box ticked, which is next to the option for "Zero Export to CT? If this is the case, the inverter should still continue to export power to the grid once the battery is charged and load is lower than the production capacity. If not, the production should also scale back to match the loads like on your Sunsynk, once the battery is full.

Maybe start by confirming the full setup for each inverter.Which capacity of inverter, with how much battery capacity of which type of battery, and how many kW of panels attached?

Please give snapshots of the actual inverter's screen showing the power flows. I can't tell from your images whether you're showing actual production, battery power, or just the weather patterns. Forgive me, I don't use the webpage.

But the bottom line is that your inverter will not be generating real power if there is no purpose for it. It will either generate more power if it can go into the battery, or if it can be exported to the grid, but if neither of those options are in play, if you are disconnected from the grid and the battery charge is at 100%, then the inverter will only produce as much as the load needs, no more, or it would burn itself out in quick time. There is no "actual" solar power that is higher than that. Maybe there is potential for higher generation if the sun is out, but until you add full loading onto the inverter to the peak of its capability, it isn't there.

Ok gentleman now that I am properly confused can I just summerize as I now understand based on your input.

Caveat: I did not do these installations and they were done by 2 different installers

Deye 8kW Hybrid Inverter                                              SunSynk 8kW Hybrid

12 x 480 W Powitt panels (6S2P)                                   14 x 540W JA panels

2 x Dyness BX48100                                                       2 x Hubble AM-2

Deye definetely not exporting to grid or Solar sell and never have

Fig1.

image.thumb.jpeg.b816a30099b8fb702ed178cf891469f2.jpeg

Fig 2.image.thumb.jpeg.69068ca8ad2fbf543dc2324261fb08b2.jpeg

Sunsynk is then doing the right thing ?

Deye was only giving me contantly high PV output (nice Bell curve) because there were contant high loads on it (batteries, pool etc.)

So there is no way to tell what the PV output at any given time is ? as it will clip down to Load + X

How do I tell my PV arrays efficiency under any given set of adverse conditions (rain, cloudy etc) or do I just take it at face value or put it under constant high load for a day or two to get a baseline and then take it at face value?

If Solar export is selected or enabled the CT won't stop it from exporting to grid?

Edited by brian1709
spelling

1 hour ago, brian1709 said:

Deye definetely not exporting to grid or Solar sell and never have

Well the PV power is going somewhere, maybe you are continuously charging battery then. Let's see: Show a graph of PV (W), Grid (W), Battery (W), and load (W).

Edit: Anything on the Aux? A Smart Load perhaps? Please include that too.

Edit: I see that you are getting weather info, so the blue line could be solar radiation. Please include a legend in your graph screenshot.

Edited by YellowTapemeasure

Basically, there is no way to know what your array can produce, other than to do MPPT, but then the power has to go somewhere. Those little handheld devices that measures panel power do exactly that, but for a very short time, essentially dumping the power to heat. A scheme like that might be possible in an inverter, but not with the components fitted - there is nothing that will allow you to sink that much power (safely) in your inverter. However, since very few countries don't allow export, there isn't much demand for such a feature.

On 2022/10/10 at 1:34 PM, TonyH said:

It is very important that you install the CT. If you extend the CT cable make sure that you twist them in the same direction as the original wire. If you don't twist the cables you will get interference which may affect your CT readings. Make sure that the arrow on the CT points to the inverter. 

It is normal that the solar panels show little production when the batteries are charged. The only power that will be generated is the power that the house is using and the loses. As soon as the load is increased the solar output will increase. This is why it is a good idea to use the auxiliary output to charge the geyser as soon as the batteries are 100% SOC. This is a great feature of the Sunsynk inverter.