Shoto SDA10-48100 reporting as 50AH in luxpower???

De Jager

10 hours ago, De Jager said:

Hi guys

i have a Shoto  SDA10-48100  but in the Lux Power app it reports as 50AH battery only. with the latest firmware update ??? how can this be? i did not buy a SDA10-4850?

could i have been cheated ? 

Is it connected via CAN with the right pinouts and setup? I ask because we just installed Luxpower + Shoto at MILs place and its showing up correctly (Ah)

4 minutes ago, Mark Shepherd said:

Thanks a lot for your input. Yes, connected via CAN batt side pin 4 to inverter side pin 4 and batt side pin 5 to inverter side pin 3. No other pins connected.

And the correct battery setting was selected (Type- Li Ion and option 2 (Pylon))

Ah. Yes, Lithium selected. But using option 8. Last time I selected option 2, battery bank wasn't recognized. A side issue, but possibly related.....is there a way of keeping 1 of the 3 inverters as master. Also, must the CAN cable be plugged to the master inverter? Each time I have an issue and the inverters go off or are switched off, I end up with a different master, regardless of power on order.

4 minutes ago, Mark Shepherd said:

Ah. Yes, Lithium selected. But using option 8. Last time I selected option 2, battery bank wasn't recognized. A side issue, but possibly related.....is there a way of keeping 1 of the 3 inverters as master. Also, must the CAN cable be plugged to the master inverter? Each time I have an issue and the inverters go off or are switched off, I end up with a different master, regardless of power on order.

Thats bizarre - i must say im not familiar with the parralleling of the luxpower. Perhaps try the steps in this video >>

On 2022/11/29 at 7:18 AM, Mark Shepherd said:

I have the same issue. 4 x SDA10-48100 connected to 3 x Luxpower SNA5000 inverters. Total AH reported is 200. I've double checked battery dip switches and RS485 connections, B to A etc. I've made up the CAN cable as per the manual.

Any suggestions?

I have exactly the same issue.  4 Shotos with 2 Lux SNA5000's.  I actually updated the firmware yesterday from cbaa-121512 to cbaa-12767B in the hopes of fixing it.  No such luck unfortunately.  Spoke to the Lux rep in Cape Town, Andy... he says it's just an incorrect display issue?  And I think he might be correct... I have other sites installed with the Lux SNA5000, but with Hubble AM-2's.  Same issue.... 50ah.  I have no idea?  The common thread seems to be the inverters, not the batteries.

I know this doesn't help, but hoping to see a resolution on here.

3 hours ago, Mark Shepherd said:

That is strange indeed.  As far as I know, the only thing that possibly determines that is the order they are switched on in.  You're not removing or moving the dongles between inverters by any chance?  I don't think that matters, but just asking.

This is correct, i can testify to the same issue.

I have a luxpower SNA5k hybrid inverter connected to just 1 Shoto SDC10-box5 5.12 kwh battery and it's also displaying only 50ah capacity on the inverter through the BMS.

I have one of the newer inverter models which comes with a label on the inverter stating the communication pin outs have changed.

What this is supposed to mean according to luxpower training videos is that a straight network cable should work perfectly fine for CAN communication to inverter.

If you guys figure out the reason or a fix to this, please let me know.

I have the same issue. Firmware fully updated. Also have one of the newer model inverters with the sticker on the box stating that CAN communication ports have changed. 

This means that a straight network cable without any specific pin outs should work perfectly fine on the BMS.

If anyone finds a solution to this issue, please post it here.

5 minutes ago, khairfaraz said:

I have the same issue. Firmware fully updated. Also have one of the newer model inverters with the sticker on the box stating that CAN communication ports have changed. 

This means that a straight network cable without any specific pin outs should work perfectly fine on the BMS.

If anyone finds a solution to this issue, please post it here.

Even with CAN there is a specific pin-out

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All, 

I also have a LUXPOWER  SNA5000 WPV ECO Hybrid Inverter connected to  1 SHOTO SDC10-BOX5 (5.12 kwh) battery.

It also displaying only 50ah capacity on the inverter through the BMS.

My Inverter models comes with a label on the inverter box stating the communication pin outs have changed.

Have sent an e-mail to the CNMB in Midrand , as they are the LUXPOWER  After Sales Support. They suggest I do a Firmware update, but  I can only do it when their technicians are back from the festive leave.

• 2 months later...

@GinoC have you had any success with this yet?

I have the same Luxpower SNA5000 with Shoto SDC10-Box5 setup. My app displayed 100ah capacity for about 2 months after the installation until one day it didn't. Now it's 50ah and the battery only charges to 94-98% (used to go to 100%). I didn't adjust any settings at all in this time.

The battery's over current/voltage light is also flickering, showing there's something wrong somewhere. The installer tried to change settings remotely, but nothing improved the situation. Now I'm waiting for them to come out later in the week hopefully...

17 hours ago, Rayvan said:

@GinoC have you had any success with this yet?

I have the same Luxpower SNA5000 with Shoto SDC10-Box5 setup. My app displayed 100ah capacity for about 2 months after the installation until one day it didn't. Now it's 50ah and the battery only charges to 94-98% (used to go to 100%). I didn't adjust any settings at all in this time.

The battery's over current/voltage light is also flickering, showing there's something wrong somewhere. The installer tried to change settings remotely, but nothing improved the situation. Now I'm waiting for them to come out later in the week hopefully...

We have discovered on another topic (thanks to @jgdt) that with CAN comms to the inverter the battery requests a charge voltage of 57.8V which triggers the overvoltage protection at the top of charge, causing the battery to go into standby. It could be that this is preventing the cells from balancing. After some time it could be that this causes the capacity change you are seeing.

I would suggest trying to remove the can comms and set the inverter to charge to 56V for about 60mins and float at 54V and see if it reaches 100%. If it doesn't reach 100% then you may need to increase the charge time to give it a chance to balance properly. The lower voltage will prevent the overvoltage protection from kicking in before the cells are balanced.

11 hours ago, jumper said:

We have discovered on another topic (thanks to @jgdt) that with CAN comms to the inverter the battery requests a charge voltage of 57.8V which triggers the overvoltage protection at the top of charge, causing the battery to go into standby. It could be that this is preventing the cells from balancing. After some time it could be that this causes the capacity change you are seeing.

I would suggest trying to remove the can comms and set the inverter to charge to 56V for about 60mins and float at 54V and see if it reaches 100%. If it doesn't reach 100% then you may need to increase the charge time to give it a chance to balance properly. The lower voltage will prevent the overvoltage protection from kicking in before the cells are balanced.

Thanks @jumper! I'll try this and report back :) 

EDIT: I disconnected the CAN and set the charge/float voltages and all it shows is that it lost battery communication (red battery symbol). The battery's warning light continues to flash over voltage/current protect and the SOC still maxes out at 96% with a constant drain of a few Watts.

image.thumb.png.4f0679089741ea0c893bc2428b5084ff.png

I tried having a look at the settings, and it seems like the only way to force the Luxpower SNA inverter to use a specific charge voltage and float voltage is to set the battery type to "Lead Acid". I'm not too confident doing this - is it safe? 

It seems some people tried it here: 

Edited by Rayvan

• 2 months later...

Has anyone made any headway with the Luxpower SNA 5000 reporting a Shoto SDA10-48100 battery as 50AH? This seems to be the only forum discussing this problem. My supplier has recently updated my Luxpower SNA 5000 firmware to the latest version but the issue persists. 

• 2 months later...

I had this issue with my new install that was done last week and I solved it today. The CAN protocol is wrong. To fix this: 

Hold Enter so the inverter goes into settings mode.
Using the arrows go to setting [3].
Ensure Li-ion is selected.
Next set the CAN protocol using: luxpower_compatible_list_20230408.pdf (luxpowertek.com) 

In my case I had a Volta Stage 1 that is 100AH but showed up as 50AH. After selecting the correct CAN protocol (Pylon : 2) it now shows 100AH correctly.