Looking for USB interface

PeterGutti

Hi everybody!

The USB interface of my Axpert 5kva inverter is broken. Is anybody out there that does not use the USB interface? 

I'm running two Axpert 5KVA in parallel. One has RS232 the other has USB interface.  Since months the USB interface is broken.  The installer and salesman ordered vom Voltronic a replacement USB but received instead an RS232. He explained that Voltronic does not deliver replacement USB cards.  (True? i don't know)

Therefore i ask you if  you own a USB interface from an Axpert 5KVA and not using it, would you give it to me?  Of course i pay for it and the shipment.  

I live in Spain, Costa Blanca, near Calpe/Denia, 100km south of Valencia

Peter

• 1 month later...

Hi Cem!

only now i'm reading your messages, sorry! 

As the Axpert inverter and ICC are running very smoothly i don't check the forum very often. ICC currently is connected with RS232-to-USB cable.

and... yes i still would like to have a USB port.  I could use it as backup.  My dealer/supporter explained me that this replacement part cannot be ordered.

Serial: 92931506100847

IMG_1621.jpg

IMG_1619.jpg

IMG_1622.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

@Chris Hobson @plonkster @The Terrible Triplett are well known forum writers.

i guess they might help or know the ones who can help us/

A forum member Peter from Spain has a broken Communication card. Attached 2 photos.

I am a Voltronic distributor in Europe trying to help Peter.

Attached PDF is what i have in stock. How we can be sure this will work for Peter ?

thank you for your kind help

Big KS5 COMM CARD.pdf

Peter IMG_1622.thumb.jpg.5254b633b79b32bf392c8ab2d6da8c44.jpg

Peter IMG_1621.jpg.fb230775cd1c2ee3b63de690160735a5.jpg

That one should be fine. For whatever reason, the communications board has evolved far more than the other parts of the inverter-chargers; see for example this post. His is a 2015 model (looks exactly like the customer's); yours is a 2017 model (we don't have a photo of one of those as yet). They should inter-work just fine.

Edit: I pinched a photo so we have a 2017 board photo; I hope you don't mind. I'm happy to blank the serial number if you thing that's important (I don't). You can see that there is little to no real difference between the 2015 and 2017 boards.

Edited by Coulomb

• 1 month later...

Good news: The USB interface Mars sent me finally works.  I now can connect both, BMV and Voltronic, over USB to ICC.  

Before, under mixed communication (RS232 for Voltronic and USB for BMV) the connection failed every now and than: After 80 hrs ... 800 hrs of ICC running time. I learned that this might be a problem of Linux(!?). But now no longer its an issue.

The replacement was not that complicated: 

1. make Inverter powerless: Power off, disconnect batteries and panels (by pulling fuses)
  2. disconnect old card, unscrew it
  3. screw in the new card and connect the three plugs (cannot be confused)
  4. back on power by inserting all the fuses and switch the inverter power on
  5. Connect USB cable and watch!

It did not work the first time, so i left it for a few days.  Today i checked all the connectors and tried again.  I have been told, that the inverter may have to be reset multiple times to make changes work.  But today i did not power off the inverter... 

I hope with this setup the communication problem i experienced are over!

Thanks again to Mars who shipped a replacement part within days.  Great support!

• 3 months later...

Bumping this old thread...My Axpert VMII's (5Kva) comm card stopped working (USB & RS232). Opened it up yesterday and looks like its gone. Looking for a replacement part but it doesn't seem to be available locally with the Axpert distributors here. Would appreciate any leads @Coulomb @plonkster @Mars

Here's the image of my comm card

JKwPVg0.jpg

YZAGkny.jpg

Edited by StrikerX

On 2019/07/04 at 6:24 PM, StrikerX said:

looks like its gone.

The transformer (really a multi-winding inductor) appears to be browned in one spot; it's not a an order-able part.

Is should be possible to order a comms board from the same place you got your inverter. They'll want to see a photo of your inverter's bar-code to be sure you're not a clone owner, or some other reseller's customer.

Failing that, you occasionally get people not needing their comm boards and willing to sell, or getting one from an unrepairable inverter. You might be able to get them from Ebay or Ali Express, but I don't hold much hope of that.

A really desperation move would be to make a separate power supply from an isolated DC-DC converter module and a rectifier, but you'd need pretty good electronic skills to pull that off.

Sorry, the options are not great. I'd work a little harder on your supplier, pointing out they're the one that should be supporting their product.

Edited by Coulomb
mention multi-winding inductor

4 minutes ago, Coulomb said:

separate power supply from an isolated DC-DC converter module and...

Actually, looking at the partial schematic trace in this post, it might be easier to figure out your own multi-turn inductor, and replace the diode and 0R resistors (used as fuses, presumably). Take the original inductor out altogether. You could probably use a readily available pot core. I don't have the know-how to design the inductor (what material, air gap, and number of turns).

1 hour ago, Coulomb said:

Actually, looking at the partial schematic trace in this post, it might be easier to figure out your own multi-turn inductor, and replace the diode and 0R resistors (used as fuses, presumably). Take the original inductor out altogether. You could probably use a readily available pot core. I don't have the know-how to design the inductor (what material, air gap, and number of turns).

Unfortunately, I have no background in electronics, I am a computer science pleb...

I'll try asking the distributor again if they can get it arranged.

Edited by StrikerX

On 2019/07/06 at 6:04 AM, Mars said:

maybe they can compare with my old photos.

They're not the same. Mars' has the clean contact relay and connector, StrikerX's does not. The inductors also have different part numbers, sadly.

Despite that, if you can fit the larger board in somehow, I believe there is a small chance it would work, but I can't be certain. The HFPW (High Frequency PoWer) may come in on a different connector, or they might be paralleled so it doesn't matter.

Edited by Coulomb
Spelling typo

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 4/7/2019 at 11:45, Coulomb said:

Il trasformatore (in realtà un induttore a più avvolgimenti) sembra essere brunito in un punto; non è una parte in grado di ordinare.

È necessario essere possibile ordinare una scheda comunicazioni dallo stesso luogo ricevuto il vostro inverter. Vorranno vedere una foto del codice a barre dell'inverter per essere sicuri di non essere il proprietario di un clone o un cliente di altri rivenditori.

In caso contrario, di tanto in tanto si ottengono le persone che non necessitano delle loro schede di comando e che sono disposte a vendere, o che si ottengono una da un inverter non riparabile. Potresti riuscire a ottenerli da Ebay o Ali Express, ma non ho molte speranze in questo.

Una mossa davvero disperata sarebbe quella di un alimentatore separato da un modulo convertitore DC-DC isolato e un raddrizzatore, ma per ottenere ciò occorrerebbero abilità elettroniche piuttosto buone.

Spiacenti, le opzioni non sono eccezionali. Lavorare un po 'di più sul tuo fornitore, sottolineando che sono quelli che supportano il loro prodotto.

Il 6/7/2019 alle 07:46, StrikerX ha dichiarato:

Allega di nuovo la foto, per favore dai un'occhiata.

YZAGkny.jpg

Il 6/7/2019 alle 07:46, StrikerX ha dichiarato:

Allega di nuovo la foto, per favore dai un'occhiata.

YZAGkny.jpg

ciao dove posso trovarla quel tipo di schedina ...

Il 4/7/2019 alle 11:45, Coulomb ha dichiarato:

Il trasformatore (in realtà un induttore a più avvolgimenti) sembra essere brunito in un punto; non è una parte in grado di ordinare.

È necessario essere possibile ordinare una scheda comunicazioni dallo stesso luogo ricevuto il vostro inverter. Vorranno vedere una foto del codice a barre dell'inverter per essere sicuri di non essere il proprietario di un clone o un cliente di altri rivenditori.

In caso contrario, di tanto in tanto si ottengono le persone che non necessitano delle loro schede di comando e che sono disposte a vendere, o che si ottengono una da un inverter non riparabile. Potresti riuscire a ottenerli da Ebay o Ali Express, ma non ho molte speranze in questo.

Una mossa davvero disperata sarebbe quella di un alimentatore separato da un modulo convertitore DC-DC isolato e un raddrizzatore, ma per ottenere ciò occorrerebbero abilità elettroniche piuttosto buone.

Spiacenti, le opzioni non sono eccezionali. Lavorare un po 'di più sul tuo fornitore, sottolineando che sono quelli che supportano il loro prodotto.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 2019/07/04 at 10:24 AM, StrikerX said:

Bumping this old thread...My Axpert VMII's (5Kva) comm card stopped working (USB & RS232). Opened it up yesterday and looks like its gone. Looking for a replacement part but it doesn't seem to be available locally with the Axpert distributors here. Would appreciate any leads @Coulomb @plonkster @Mars

Here's the image of my comm card

JKwPVg0.jpg

YZAGkny.jpg

Hello to everyone, I just signed-up to this forum because I had exactly the same problem, the diode PJ705K RS1J just broke and burnt. Fortunately, the inverter works unplugging the comms-port-board, can I break something else working regularly with the inverter? It seems that goes good, what gives me the chance to continue working while I find a replacement. Does anyone knows where I could find a spare part of this board? I found a technician near Valencia, Spain, who can provide a replacement one for 80€ aprox, but it seems to be pricey for such a little board (and problem). Thank you so much for all the attention that a post here seems to create. Salud!!

IMG_20201005_153506_2.jpg

Hi

Thats true i am a Voltronic distributor & service center. But now i am living in Netherlands i am only selling Lifepo4 cells for Voltronic and Victron here.

So all of our Voltronic stock is in Istanbul Turkey and i preffer not to supply parts within Europe. As you are looking the cheapest solution.

Cheapest option for you to check with @PeterGutti from Spain. He got a new card from me  and he promised to buy me coffee when i go Alicante in summer :)

If he kept his old card maybe he may unsolder this diode from his old card and send to you. Good luck.

23 hours ago, 4ldesign said:

the diode PJ705K RS1J just broke and burnt.

That part costs under R10:

https://www.mouser.co.za/ProductDetail/Vishay-Semiconductors/RS1J-E3-5AT?qs=lBalI7KQBwqGckUc1sVLow==

It will of course cost a lot more for shipping. And of course, it may not be the only part that failed.

It's just a high speed 1 A silicon diode. Rated at 600 V, but it only need to be about 50 V. You might be able to buy one at a local electronics store (I have no idea where you'd go in South Africa). Even if it's a through-hole part, you could probably make one fit to see if that fixes the problem (if you or a friend is handy with electronics).

7 hours ago, Mars said:

Hi

Thats true i am a Voltronic distributor & service center. But now i am living in Netherlands i am only selling Lifepo4 cells for Voltronic and Victron here.

So all of our Voltronic stock is in Istanbul Turkey and i preffer not to supply parts within Europe. As you are looking the cheapest solution.

Cheapest option for you to check with @PeterGutti from Spain. He got a new card from me  and he promised to buy me coffee when i go Alicante in summer :)

If he kept his old card maybe he may unsolder this diode from his old card and send to you. Good luck.

Thanks a lot, I will try to check first if I can find the diode in a local electronics provider. However, I will keep in mind the solution you gave me. Cheers!