I feel this is unconstitutional. What's your thoughts?

ibiza

1 hour ago, DeepBass9 said:

Back to my original point though, is that the information gathered would be useful to forecast future energy demand from Eskom. Maybe a few simple questions on the population census form would be way easier though:

Are you off grid?

Do you intend going off gird in the near future?

Grid tied installations can be monitored through the municipalities. 

My other concern is the storage of my data.  With address and GPS coordinates indicating, the value of my personal assets.  How is this information safeguarded as per the constitution.  The draft must be explicit indicating how my data shall be protected and how I would be compensated should there be a breach.  Would Nersa therefore issue insurance in as far as private property is concerned.

I have posted this as my submission to the outa page.  You cannot just collect personal information without indicating how it shall be managed.

2 hours ago, ebrsa said:

Perhaps that will create enough public resistance to kill the stupidity.

wanton stupidity which is here reflected is just a manifestation of what paul referred to in ephesians 6:12 "For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places." - it is an old phenomenon which no amount of human common sense will be able to kill, it is like the hydra...

2 hours ago, gabriel said:

wanton stupidity which is here reflected is just a manifestation of what paul referred to

Uuuhm... no, I think not. My apologies for this bit of a knee-jerk :-) First rule of exegesis is to read the whole chapter. Paul is explaining that the nature of the enemy dictates the nature of the weaponry required. He was writing from prison at the time, guarded by Roman soldiers, which probably explains his choice of metaphor.

Never ascribe to malice what can be explained by incompetence. Paul is writing about malicious forces.

Not that incompetence is necessarily better of course.

44 minutes ago, plonkster said:

Never ascribe to malice what can be explained by incompetence. Paul is writing about malicious forces.

where the mind is not applied in Christ 'malicious forces' take over, the result is incompetence and disorder, hence we are ordered to also love with our minds [matt 22:37].

obviously incompetence as well as malicious forces can be subjectively viewed and even seen as positive by segments of society - look no further than the lgbt issue [rom 1:21-32].

regarding the exegesis of paul's [God's] thoughts in eph 6:12, yes, they have to be viewed at in the greater picture of not only that particular letter, but all of scripture, and it is there i propose that they take on a very holistic, both physical and spiritual, meaning.

we shall have to differ on this - in love :)

Now THIS I did not see coming, although personally, like solar geysers, it must become the norm for all new houses ...

Cannot wait for SA to follow - ja they will - we always do what the Yanks do even if we are 20 years behind. :-) 

California on Wednesday became the first US state to require solar panels on all new residential buildings as part of efforts to cut greenhouse gas emissions. 

https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2018-05-10-california-becomes-first-us-state-to-require-solar-on-new-homes/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=First Thing 10 May 2018 62&utm_content=First Thing 10 May 2018 62+CID_9bd874d4c27e19af6009168f3ffe0e6e&utm_source=TouchBasePro&utm_term=California to require solar power on new houses#.WvP1GaqFOUk

5 hours ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

California on Wednesday became the first US state to require solar panels

can you imagine the 'explosion' in the solar industry and spinoffs like prices dropping, r&d, better batteries etc :)

what will trump's take be on the chinese 'invasion' on this market segment?

Edited by gabriel
xtra data

18 hours ago, gabriel said:

what will trump's take be on the chinese 'invasion' on this market segment?

WHEN he gets to it, seeing it is un-American and a National Security risk (panels not producing enough power or such), he will Tweet the Ching out of it.

The one coal mining company which I visited in the USA mined 3x the yearly output of the whole of our little republic. We have 125 continuous mines vs the USA 915.

They use all their coal inhouse for power generation and heating (can be corrected).

Trump has stopped chinese panel imports - was reported in their media.

So I am waiting for their panels to become cheaper here as they must look for other markets.

18 hours ago, Tersius said:

NERSA withdrew the draft, working on a new one.

They are mandated by law to do it, so it is not going away, it will come back. I think in principle it is a good thing, there are many people waiting for the standard regulations exactly because it opens more doors than it closes. The problem with this iteration is that it was simply too vague and open for abuse.

On the above;

In order to benefit from this grace period, property owners must register for authorisation of their SSEG system with the City by the 28th of February 2019. After the grace period, the City will be implementing a R6,425.90 service fee for the disconnection of authorized SSEG connections. The supply of electricity to the property in question may be disconnected and only reconnected once the City is satisfied that the SSEG system is either disconnected, decommissioned or authorised and that the service fee has been paid.

Quickly scanning though all the documentation, man, here are some interesting times a-coming. 

Everyone in Cpt and surround will have to register, rest of the country probably falling in line as the muni's get under better control. 

Being totally off-grid generation, I must also register, the whole system, that it is all on separate circuits.

They ask for GPS co-ordinations on one of the forms - they are going to use aerial photographs to see where them panels are.

Panels are clearly visible on Google Maps, even sharper and with near rooftop focus if one uses a Apple device to view the maps.
Clearly one can see someone has panels on their roof. And they differ from the solar pool heating panels on the other house.

image.png.aa0759e032736c19a00f16980fe5f9a2.png

image.png.8eae9174ce0d7b37506702fc29def6a8.png

7 minutes ago, SilverNodashi said:

Does anyone know what this registration cost, for a typical axpert installation? 

I'm onnit. so far, min it is a Cert of Comp. then to fill in the forms as per the links in the post above, by the person doing it.

Traced a few local approved installers, very few on CoCT's website. 

4 minutes ago, gabriel said:

anyone has one of these forms? a link maybe

They are in my post, above the picture. :D

18 minutes ago, SilverNodashi said:

Does anyone know what this registration cost

No cost for registration. But there is a cost for the guy who prepares the paperwork (the registered professional engineer). The numbers I hear range from a few thousand to more than the cost of an Axpert.

Luckily I know a guy locally. Will just have to move this forward  :-(

I can see the savings we make / have made, gobbled up by unforeseen expenses, coming harder and faster than before. Watch, next a fee (read) tax on it.

Every single installation to be signed off and approved ... this is going to get expensive, more so closer to the 2019 deadline. 

But, I do agree, it does make sense, to ensure the majorities safety, because a few stepped outside the box.

And maybe, MAYBE CoCT sees an opportunity into the future to start 'paying' home users for feeding back to their grid, if they can score from it ... can only hope.

For I like when Matthijs from Victron said in that video Plonkster loaded on another post, feed back, it is simpler, even if you don't get paid. I would feed back free if I did not have to pay a connection fee. 

And it is always in the small print:

1 Under City of Cape Town Electricity Supply By-Law 2010, no generation equipment may be connected to the grid without the express consent of the Director of the Electricity Services Department,
2 As per the Electricity Installation Regulations of the Occupational Health and Safety Act (clause 2), the property owner carries the responsibility for the safety of the electrical installation on the property. This includes everything related to the SSEG installation on the property.

Dude, this means I have to move to that 3kva unit even faster. My repairs to this unit, though safe, will require some explaining.

(For info, the plug connections on my small Multi has started to show connection problems, probably because it works at full capacity for hours on end. I replaced it with suitably sized terminal blocks... so now it is non-standard, someone is going ask about that).

10 minutes ago, plonkster said:

... so now it is non-standard, someone is going ask about that ...

Emails are out for my "off grid" system to get it signed off, and registered as off-grid.

I don't think it will matter that much, as Eskom is Eskom, Solar is Solar ... never the twain shall meet.

Off-grid SSEG
SSEG that is physically separated and electrically isolated from and can never be connected to the utility electricity grid – either directly or through a customer’s internal wiring – is said to be “off-grid”. Consumer loads cannot be simultaneously connected to the utility grid and the SSEG installation, and export of energy onto the utility grid by the generator must not be possible. SSEG that is connected to the grid through a reverse power flow blocking relay is not considered to be off-grid.

Passive standby UPS utilised as off-grid hybrid SSEG
Applies to any UPS operation functioning according to the following principle:
a. The normal mode of operation consists of supplying the load from the grid as primary power source.
b. When the latter is outside stated limits, the load is supplied from the UPS inverter, operating in stored-energy mode.
Such a system is regarded as off-grid provided it is equipped with a suitably interlocked change-over switch, selectable as follows:
i. Charger/rectifier mode (normal): Batteries are charged by the SSEG installation or, if required, by the grid. The grid is the primary power source for all the loads, or;
ii. Inverter mode (when the grid supply is interrupted or applicable electrical service conditions are outside stated limits or required tolerances). The grid supply is disconnected and selected loads are supplied from the inverter, within the rating of the energy storage or SSEG.

Edited by Guest