infini / Axpert firmware & SolarPower Pro software

superdiy

Do any of you know if there are any firmware updates available for the infinisolar and Axpert inverters? I gave google a go, but could not find anything of value.

I would also like to know if there is a website somewhere from which I can download a newer version of the PC/desktop software for the infini - I think it is called "SolarPower Pro".  I've seen a few screenshots of the software in this forum which had different/more settings than the version I've got installed.  I've also found a lot of bugs in the version I have.

Thanks

The only stuff I found was on this Czech site:

http://www.ostrovni-elektrarny.cz/index.php?page=podpora

Interesting there is also a battery voltage calibration file.

I have not tried any of this myself. :)

Thanks jhay

I actually came across a post on that forum yesterday where someone mentioned firmware, but is was one of those 20+ page topics and the "google translated" English sometimes reads a bit difficult, so I only read one page and closed the site.

I'll go and have a look again.

Many thanks.

Hi Superdiy, would you mind telling us what the bugs were?

Also would you recommend the infini inverter to clients based on your experiences.

Hi Carl

The bugs I found were in the PC software, not with the inverter itself. I can't remember exactly what they were since I have not used the software for a while now. If I can remember correctly one of the issues were that certain "queries" / logs / graphs for a defined period returned no data when data was actually available and something else which happened for one specific day only was that the software indicated that 0 KWh was generated for one specific day, but if you check the generated KWh for that same day on the inverter, the inverter does have data for that day. I also check the inverter daily and there was not 1 day since it was installed where it generated 0KWh for the day - that is simply not possible unless you disconnect the PVs.

I am very happy with the infini and would definitely recommend it to anyone.

I notice that my firmware on the Axpert/Mecer is 72 40 whereas the Aussies reckon their latest firmware is 52 30 so there maybe some regional variation in firmware

Hi Chris

That is quite possible since mains voltages and frequencies for example differs throughout the world.  Don't they mention anything about firmware upgrades in the Aussie forum?

i think the infini's latest software in SA is ver 1.20

Hi Mike

Thanks for the info.  I'll have to check my infini's version. If I may ask, since you're a reseller / installer, do you have access to firmware and software updates or do you know if there is a way to get updates or a site where we can download updates from?

Thanks

Hi Chris

That is quite possible since mains voltages and frequencies for example differs throughout the world.  Don't they mention anything about firmware upgrades in the Aussie forum?

Hi SuperDIY

Quote from Solarmahn (of the Australian Electric Vehicle Association forum)

"Yes. Thats the lastest version. Be good to know what the difference is between the 2. I will load 72.40 and see if I can notice any changes. One difference between 52 25 and 52 30 is the fan speed. What about U2, the scc firmware. What version have you got for that. You would have to expect that 72 40 is better than 52 30. I had a problem with 52 30 when connecting generators. It would worh with 25 but not with 30. I suspect that the test that the inverter applies to the utility/generator feed is more stringent in 30. I tried apl, ups, different voltage and frequency and everything else I could think of but could not get the inverter to switch to the generator. Mains indicator icon just keeps blinking."

Hi Carl

I don't have an Axpert inverter myself, I've ordered one for my dad, but I'm still waiting for it to arrive. I'll be doing the installation and set-up and only then I think I'll maybe be able to answer your question. A friend of mine do have an Axpert and he is still happy with it.

Regards

• 4 months later...

I noticed that this pdf on the Voltronicpower web site have NRS-097-2-1 together with some of the European standards at the bottom of page 2.

http://www.voltronicpower.com/files/ds/InfiniSolar_DS.pdf

Does that mean that they just think they conform to the specification or did they do the certification somewhere?

Does anybody, Mike maybe? have firmware that will allow you to select that for the InfiniSolar 3kW Plus? I know about the firmware on the Czech site, but do not have the courage to try it. :)

• 4 months later...
3 minutes ago, Wetkit said:

Any update or progress here?

How do I see what firmware I am running currently?

You can see the firmware versions in SolarPower. They are referred to Main CPU processor version and Secondary CPU processor version.

SolarPower1.JPG

2 minutes ago, Wetkit said:

Ok, so mine shows the same as yours then, 3.10 and 0.31.

I am trying to enable NRS 097 to work on mine. What do I need?

I don't think you need anything, you just change the Standard: option in the drop-down to NRS097. I did mine a while ago. Just keep in mind that the inverter might switch off / restart after you've changed the option and if the computer you're using to change the option is connected to the inverter output, it will be switched off. I cannot remember if the inverter restarted automatically or if I had to switch it on again.

SolarPower3.JPG

47 minutes ago, Wetkit said:

Tried other standards and they work, but NRS just give me an error, something about "not possable" or "not valid".

Sorry, then I don't know. I remember I've fiddled with that setting on my inverter, but maybe I have not changed it to NRS097 - I'll have to verify.

Wetkit

Did your inverter have the NRS097 in the list of standards or did you have to do something to get it there? My main and secondary CPU versions are the same but I don't see NRS097 in the drop down.

Another question, is the InfiniSolar unit "certified" as a grid tied inverter for use in South Africa? Local municipality is making noises about certifications and installations needing a signoff by a professional engineer. If the unit is approved or meets certain standards and the installation has a CoC, is that not sufficient?

Cobus

forgive me for answering, but yes it is approved by the City of Cape Town and is on the approved list. a C.O.C is all that is required by law for it to be attached to the local network if it has COCT approval otherwise legally it may not be connected to the Grid and in your instance you are running in bypass mode - legally not on the Municipal circuit besides 220vac supply. The NRS097 is the last on the list if i remember correctly.

Thanks for the reply Mike. It was an open question, not directed at Wetkit alone. So why is COCT maintaining their own list of NRS097 approved equipment or are these approved in general for use in South Africa?

i think because there is no true standard in place yet for the country, so the muni's are doing their own thing. I saw the draft release of the proposed requirements for installations, just waiting for them to be passed into law, then all will have to abide by it.

Hi Mike 

See below for some extracts from the COC requirements for small scale embedded generation:

http://www.capetown.gov.za/en/electricity/Application%20Forms/CCTRequiremenstforEmbeddedGeneration-V41-3-March-2016-Final.pdf)

Page 10: "It is explicitly emphasized that a grid-connected SSEG installation which has been issued only with a Certificate of Compliance (CoC) has not been authorised to connect to the City’s electricity grid."

Page 11: "Professional Sign-off Until such time as SANS 10142-Parts 3 (The Wiring of Premises – Embedded Generators) and 4 (The Wiring of Premises –Direct Current and Photovoltaic) are published and until such time as an SABS mark is issued for inverters, all embedded generation systems installed on the City of Cape Town grid must be signed off on commissioning by an ECSA registered professional engineer or technologist as complying with the City’s requirements.

Page 11: " Testing of Inverters Until such time as an SABS mark is issued for inverters, the City will require proof in the form of test certificates , of type tests having been successfully carried out by a third party test house certifying compliance of the inverters with the requirements of the City and NRS097-2-2 (see step 6 in the main document). A list of inverters which have been shown to comply with the City’s requirements can be found on the City’s website1. Details of the City’s requirements regarding the Type Testing of inverters are found in Appendix 3."

Page 13: " Stand-alone generators Generators that are not connected to the electricity grid in any way, and are thus ‘standalone’ generators, do not need permission from the City’s ESD. However, approvals from other City departments are still necessary, such as from the Planning and Building Development Management Department. It is the responsibility of the prospective standalone generator installer or owner to directly obtain these necessary approvals."

Page 19:  "Customers wanting to connect SSEG to the grid without being compensated for reverse power flow will be required to install reverse power flow blocking protection to prevent reverse power flow onto the electricity grid. Customers with prepayment meters may then, subject to the ruling policies for tariffs and metering, keep their existing meter and remain on the relevant electricity consumption tariff. Customers drawing less than 100 A with credit meters will be required to have their credit meter replaced with a prepayment meter at the City’s cost. Customers drawing more than 100 A will be required to either reduce their capacity below 100 A, or alternatively have a bidirectional AMI meter supplied and installed by the City at the customer’s cost and be placed on the SPU 1 tariff. In other words, conventional credit and prepayment meters are never allowed to run backwards."

To answer cvzyl, the NRS standard only showed up since version 1.09 of the Solar Power software.

I am not sure if the unit also needs a firmware update to enable this?

Version 1.10 also have some new Indian standards which I can select and enable, but NRS is still refusing to work :(