Combining wind turbine with existing solar system

Christo61

Anybody that can help me with a solution with an charge controller that can charge pylon Lithui-Iron battries directly from a 3Kw 48 or 110v wind turbine. My current system consist of 30X295W panels, two Apert 5kw inverters and a bank of Pylon battries.

The only solution that I could came up is to charge 8x240A omnipower battries with the existing wind charge controller. Then use a axpert inverter to convert the power from the omni battries to 220v. Then use the 220v with another axpert inverter to charge the existing bank of Pylontech battries say at 5 or 10 amps. I can then add say another six panels to the first axpert inverter to keep the amps up on the omnipower battries with no wind.The system can then be expanded with another wind turbine and panels if required.

Any better solution will be highly appreciated

Hi Jay 

Only investigating the possibility. Still needs to purchase the best option of the available equipment. Considering turbines from 1.5kw to 3kw and installation area is Waterval Boven. It is important to combine the turbine with the existing axpert inverters and pylontech lithuim battries installation.

Regards

Christo

On 2019/01/18 at 12:34 PM, Energy said:

Hi @Christo61 . I want us to look at this awesome controller: http://www.midnitesolar.com/productPhoto.php?product_ID=679&productCatName=Wind and Hydro&productCat_ID=25&sortOrder=1&act=p

Let me speak to Midnite on Monday for you and ask about the compatibility. 

Sincerely

Jason

I´m afraid it won´t be cheap. Also, a "load" is needed, and I suppose it will be optional.

Edited by Javi Martínez

Just be sure you have enough wind before you spend a lot on money on a turbine. If the wind is not bending the trees, there is not enough power in the wind to produce any significant power. Google Beaufort Wind Scale. You need Beaufort 5 at least to make any power. Wind only moving the leaves around has no power behind it.

Looking at the map below (wind potential - not sure what the scale represents), where I am is 6-7, you should be 7-8. So maybe worthwhile for sometimes. But in my experience for the price  of a turbine you can rather buy many more solar panels, another string or batteries or a nice silent diesel generator. All of which will produce much more power than a wind turbine.

wasaproject.jpg.d15e76fda7f631943ceda26ec246cd2b.jpg 

Edited by DeepBass9

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Question to the people with knowledge...

If one could get a wind generator that can do say 110 Volt DC output.

Surely I could connect it as a 4th String straight into my Inverter.

Already running 3 x 3 PV panels into the inverter.

Then the MPPT charger in the inverter will do the work and see this wind generator input as just another PV source.

Wind generators make 3 phase AC generally which is rectified to DC then a charge controller is used to charge the batteries. It behaves quite differently to solar, so I don,t think you can put it on the same mppt. Rather get another mppt for the wind turbine. My microcare MPPT has a wind mode.

I know the available ones generate AC.

That is why I was wondering if one cannot get a DC 100 volt plus system. Surely then the Inverter will see it just as another DC source just like the PV input

The PV also varies DC wise as the sun shines brighter or hides behind a cloud.

I only want to supplement my existing system at night with the nice free Western Cape winds.

Not really.  Even if the sun is out, it is not producing 100% of the power. Trust me I have ICC running on a screen all day and I see the ups and downs as the clouds roll by.

That is why IF you can find a wind generator that outputs roughly 100 volts at full speed you should be able to connect it as another string straight into the inverter.

Even if the wind does not blow enough or constantly then you should be able to get SOME power out of the system.,...just to top up the batteries at night.

You may be disappointed. On the highveld the winds rarely blows at night in any case. My turbine rarely produces any useful power as the wind blows when the sun is shining in the afternoon. There are maybe a few nights a year where it produces anything at all.