MC4 Crimpers

MartinCoetzee

2 hours ago, Arandoza said:

Just got one today at communica, around R700

Nice, thanks for sharing, dont get them at that price anymore. I bought one for just under R1000 about 3 years ago, I saw a similar one last week selling for over 5K. 

And if you think of it, its nothing else than a normal open winged terminal crimper.  

@Dougiedanger Haven't seen a crimp free MC4 connector. Share a link?

Used to manually try to crimp the MC4 connectors with general connector crimper and the results over time showed with MC4 Connectors melting :) and the Cable getting  a white powdery coating on it for about 2-3 Inches near the MC4 connector, Evidence of the cable singe.

Poor contact on electrical cables is definitely a fire risk, I have seen this with the MC4 connectors, and also at a previous company I worked for.

Where one of the phases coming into the DB board, over time and due to heating and cooling, caused a cable to not be firmly held in place, on the incoming phase breaker.

We smelt what can only be described as a STRONG Urine smell coming for the electrical closet under the stairwell, and it took a while to figure out what the problem was... It could have easily caught fire and burnt the office down.

Check you connections are are nice and tightly screwed down and or crimped :)

I guess on lower voltage/amp cables this may not be as noticeable and as much of a problem.

20 hours ago, Jaco de Jongh said:

Nice, thanks for sharing, dont get them at that price anymore. I bought one for just under R1000 about 3 years ago, I saw a similar one last week selling for over 5K. 

And if you think of it, its nothing else than a normal open winged terminal crimper.  

Agreed,  Am also looking for a place to get the Solar Spanners - The Plastic ones :)

The crimper Also has a large range of DIE sets available, as well, for ethernet, RG59, and other various electrical connectors etc. I was quite impressed and the Crimp on the 6mm seems to be HUGELY better than the ones I did previously with other General Crimpers.

The only thing I would like to find is a Crimper DIE set that can handle 10mm Solar Cable? but have not found that so easy to find.

56 minutes ago, Arandoza said:

Share a link?

@ArandozaI will look for one. Was sold them by a supplier in Zim.

I only have 4 panels in parallel series, been in place since January and up to now seem to be fine. Was just wondering as planning to double the array and think I must upgrade the connectors at that time. 

• 1 year later...