Battery Questions

Dave

9 minutes ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

I am pretty sure if Victron says one is fine, it is fine.

It is not a cheap product - so they would be very careful not to mislead you.

Having said that, IF you do find a problem, email them direct, and they will assist. :D

What if your two banks are not balanced at different points then the one will get?

7 minutes ago, viper_za said:

What if your two banks are not balanced at different points then the one will get?

No idea ... when I do need a balancer, I am going to investigate the Victron. Ja ja ja, there are cheaper devices but I would like help when I need it.

Like my post on the controller's screw threads that got damaged, just go a new unit under warranty today. 

EDIT: Most suppliers would have told me that it is my problem, I overtightened the screws. Said a LOT about Victron when they just swapped it out, for I was preparing for a repair bill, having to wait months.

In an existing bank that has parallels, eg 4x12v for a 24v bank I would use 2, and keep midpoints seperate, no question. In a new bank you could get away with one. Point being you cannot tie midpoints together now that you buy a ballancer. The imbalance already exists in some way if it's been used a while. A ballancer is a prevention not a cure. These victron ones can sink one amp max, thats only 12-14w. The principal is it compares voltage on the upper and lower batteries and in a charge(usually absorb) if one shows higher voltage it will start to apply a load across the higher one to slow down its charge. I've got some teardown pics somewhere I'll see if I can find them

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

1. If you look at the back of the HA02 it shows 2.4V minimum (not 1.2V on previous post).

2. Glad didn't recommend supplier, they just (after a week) came back with a cancelled order (no-stock).

HTB1P1ELLVXXXXaPXFXXq6xXFXXXr.jpg

58 minutes ago, Manie said:

Now i am confuse, do i need 2 for a 4 batteries in a 24 volt system ?

How many banks do you have Manie?

Update your signature then it's easier to know ;)

Is it 4 x 6v batteries that make up one 24v bank?

Edited by viper_za

1. If you look at the back of the HA02 it shows 2.4V minimum (not 1.2V on previous post).

2. Glad didn't recommend supplier, they just (after a week) came back with a cancelled order (no-stock).

HTB1P1ELLVXXXXaPXFXXq6xXFXXXr.jpg

Do you know if these HA ballancers only do their thing during a charge? I couldn't see anything on that, its an important distinction. But the wider input range is nice for non 12v configurations

1 minute ago, Weasel said:

Do you know if these HA ballancers only do their thing during a charge? I couldn't see anything on that, its an important distinction. But the wider input range is nice for non 12v configurations

My assumption would be yes, doubt those small cables could carry any form of reasonable load.

4 hours ago, Weasel said:

Manie, I would recommend 2 if the batteries are old. If they are new you can tie the midpoints together and use one.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

I have 4 x 12 volt batteries (24v System)

6 minutes ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

Anyone know off the top of their heads what the max equalization current is for Victron balancer?
And HA balancers?

HA02 = 0-10A

I have one and I am very happy...

21 hours ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

Having said that, IF you do find a problem, email them direct, and they will assist. :D

I cannot tell you just how responsive this company is, and how willing to help. If you're a professional/developer/builder who want to integrate their stuff into a new product, they absolutely go out of their way to help. Sometimes I wonder if Matthijs ever sleeps :-)

I'm somewhat in the middle of a new adventure here, so more about that later :-)

6 hours ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

Anyone know off the top of their heads what the max equalization current is for Victron balancer?
And HA balancers?

5 hours ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

Better HA's and Victron the improve their devices to also cater for 6v Trojans ... or else ...

The HA02 can do 6V and the HA01 0-5A.

TTT is starting to take a Mandarin language course. First its the Voltronics inverters and now the Chinese battery balancers. Looks like its is going to be Chinese take-away when I visit in Sept :lol:

Chicken Noodles ... and it will be running dog flavor just because.  :D:D (lekker gril julle nou ne!)

Seriously, Chris, 4 x 6v batts, I will need one HA02?