Growatt Inverter + Pylontech Batteries : BMS Comms Guide

SiliconKid

Received same instructions from Dyness as well - when I mentioned the manual says 0100 - "try both" :)  Advised to use the supplied BMS cable from Dyness, but I'm sure you can try the Growatt one as well should the battery one fail. (Dyness one is a normal straight through fly lead if I look the pin outs) But yes the firmware is your next step.

Keep us posted!

OK so did the Growatt FW updates yesterday, reset everything and then configured with L01 option, but still the same game. Was within about 20mins that the load was dropped and reset again while running off batteries. 

Will try the 0100 setting on the DIP at a later stage when I feel like resetting everything in the house again and being disappointed :(

Again on the cable, surely there must be a right one? Huge difference in straight(Dyness supplied ones) and crossed (growatt). Everything I have seen online points to the crossed cable which comes with the inverter. 

Right, so according to Dyness guys the 0100 is for Hybrid inverters. Apparently the SPF5000TL HVM-P is classified as off-grid. Tried 0100, but gives immediate 04 and 20 warnings, doesnt recover from it. Change to 0110 and works fine again.  I will now leave it as a battery firmware issue and wait for their update once in SA. 

Dyness also confirmed its the crossed cable (NOT the straight). 

comms cable pin out for growatt SPF is battery PIN1 to inverter PIN 2,battery PIN3 to inverter PIN 1

Edited by Tsa

Once again, good feedback. 

And thanks for doing the firmware updates and eliminating that as the cause. 

So now we have confirmation on dips and cable and we know that any inverter firmware we currently have access to is not the cause. 

It would be nice if someone else could confirm your findings because that will tell us if the problem is specific to you and your specific equipment or not. 

It is looking more and more like this is a battery firmware problem related to holding the comms channel open though, sadly. 

Yip, hoping that someone else can confirm their config as well.

What I did find with the new inverter FW is that I cant switch off the BEEP of the button press. Had this as BOF (setting 15) before, but with the new FW BOF still beeps a hell of a lot :)

4 hours ago, Tsa said:

Yip, hoping that someone else can confirm their config as well.

What I did find with the new inverter FW is that I cant switch off the BEEP of the button press. Had this as BOF (setting 15) before, but with the new FW BOF still beeps a hell of a lot :)

Did you do the Factory reset after the firmware upgrade?

Have no problem disabling the beep here.

On 2020/02/22 at 11:17 PM, SiliconKid said:

@ChrisLR, @Solagas

Hi Guys

I'm not sure why you aren't getting the updated values on your display but it MIGHT be because of the 2 x firmware updates that I've deployed to my inverter, which you guys presumably have not deployed yet.

If you are seeing a % value (100%) that is at least a good sign that the inverter does seem to be communicating with the BMS. It's strange that it's not charging your batteries though because it should be taking it's lead from the BMS to decide when to charge.

The charge current and the various voltage levels involved will all be automatically determined via the BMS if you have BMS comms working, so you won't be able to edit any of that.

The firmware updates have to be done from a PC (I used a small notebook) and you have to connect the notebook to the inverter using the USB cable that you should have received with the inverter.

You will need to be comfortable with doing firmware updates yourself, and you will need to do a reset on the inverter after the firmware is installed.

There is always some risk when you flash anything with new firmware that you could brick it, but Growatt sent me the firmware updates and I was comfortable with deploying them myself.

I can provide the firmware that Growatt sent me if you want to try to update it.

My inverter is working perfectly and ALL values are displaying accurately, battery charging is working exactly as expected, and everything is right.

If you want the firmware and the instructions let me know and I can PM them to you, or I can email you if you like.

Allan

Morning siliconkid can you please help me with the firmware update and how to connect with notebook to inverter

Please 

Firmware Update FAIL - Recovery Procedure

It finally happened, inevitably, and one of our team has run into the dreaded firmware update failure and been left with a non responsive inverter.

This is unfortunately the risk you take any time you upgrade firmware on anything, but it's also what makes it all so thrilling.

In this particular case, Growatt are clearly aware of the fact that their firmware updater software doesn't always work ... shall we say ... to optimal effect.

If you look at the very last page of the PDF file that I provided in the firmware pack (That Growatt sent me) that I've been giving everyone (yes, that same PDF file you ignored and didn't bother to read ... because who needs manuals right?), you will find this gem:

NOTE:
Sometimes updating may fail, you may close the inverter by disconnect battery break and close
ISP tool and disconnect USB line. Confirm the inverter is not power by battery or PV or utility.
Then you connect USB line again, and open ISP tool do the same step as above, after you press
Flash button, you let the inverter power on. Wait for several minutes the update will go on.

As you can see, failure to launch is not entirely unexpected, and there is a recovery procedure that will (hopefully), save your inverter.

PDF attached for those too lazy to go find it on their hard drive.

Update SOP for MHP5000_20200102 GRT.pdf

Edited by SiliconKid

Hi All 

Just started out in solar spent a lot of money as it seems you do in this game

I have currently got the following 

1 X 2.4kwh Dyness Lifepo4 Battery

12 X 370w Solar panels

Growatt SPF 5000TL HVM 5kVA/5kW Hybrid Inverter.

So what do I use it for ? Saving cost on my crypto mining operation and load shedding protection.

I finally installed the panels this weekend and are experiencing the issues mentioned above with Dyness battery switching off (Tripping)( Happens mostly at dawn and dusk) and I once or twice had a  bus voltage overload issue.

I think I need the two firmware updates so @SiliconKid I would really appreciate some help there with them files 🙂

Also I have lots to share manuals etc for Dyness batteries. One is to help Dyness owners manual and a pinout drawing for their BMS cable. I have one B4580 without the dip switches so you need to short a pair on the UTP cable.

I would also like to reduce the amount of times my battery is cycling and let it act as a backup for Loadshedding and blend Utillity and Solar in for supply to my operation. The draw from my house sits at about 2-3kw

What would I need to do to achieve this ?

Thanks in advance

Dyness_B4850_General_Information.pdf Dyness-Compatible-List.pdf Dyness_B4850_User_Manual_1.pdf

Did I and everyone else on my install just miss the biggest thing or is this again manual being wrong....

Those 2 cables going to the same port? Both on OUT.  So that's the inverter + battery parallel cable in the OUT port! 

image.thumb.png.f54eb86ac7f8cb9794af2322e2716f59.png

Welcome @willietes , please keep us posted on this tripping issue post the firmware update.

Also you cant test this by disconnecting the grid and PV from inverter and having the batteries supply the load only and time it to see how long it takes to trip. Best wil batteries fully charged to be sure its not SOC related. ALSO best is try and be close to the inverter to check which warnings appear (likely 04 and 20) when this tripping happens. 

Hi all

Progress update

Done 2 firmware updates

Made custom BMS cable 

Result - no BMS communication. 

Error 4 and 20 on the growatt

Anyone got this right with a dyness b4580? 

Included pictures of the battery and inverter

I really want to get this to work. 

PS I have also found a local supplier who can do a firmware upgrade to the dyness

70382AAC-FB95-4EE4-B80B-271642162BB3.jpeg

27AF73DF-9FA3-4DFB-97A4-C06A30F7C22C.jpeg

01069A55-5F6D-4F63-9C0E-6650DFBCC50F.jpeg

Hi

That's the same errors I was getting when set to Li in setting (05) and profile L01. Are you seeing those errors come up immediately and do they auto clear or do they appear at random times?

Mine appeared at random times when running off battery only, sometimes minutes, sometimes hours. This was also only when Li was selected, when in USE mode it works perfectly. 

Mine also gave me those errors immediately when I had the wrong DIP switch config. However I am not sure what the setup should be in your case with no DIP switches?

What are your pin outs? I see you still have a standard cable there with the battery label, or did you cut the other side and rewired the pins?

The Dyness guys indicated that my issue with the load tripping randomly while running on batteries was due to a firmware issue, so I would love to know more about the local supplier who can assist with upgrading the firmware. Where are they located?

All right guys, I am happy to report back that Dyness came to the party and sorted out my issue. The CEO and owner of the importing company of Dyness in SA came to visit me on Thursday night with new PC boards and the latest firmware for the batteries. Unfortunately we were quarantined in the garage with only water to drink, but maybe next time :) 

It's now running like a jet. Li (05)and profile L01(36). BMS comms now working 100%, SOC in % and all controlled by the BMS ....AND....no drops\trips since the update! Happy times!  :)

I must say excellent customer service and great guys to work with. I really appreciate the fact that a plan was made to resolve my issue. 

The Dyness China colleagues were planning on coming to SA at the start of the past week, but the travel ban stopped that. They would have come in, done 2 weeks quarantine, and attend the Solar Africa show as well as sort out these battery firmware upgrades. Unfortunately the travel ban stopped that idea. 

Excellent! 

So how does everybody else get those firmware updates now? 

I've got several people wanting to buy Dyness but they refuse to commit unless Dyness will make the firmware available. 

That nonsense that they won't supply firmware to end users needs to stop. That is not viable in South Africa, the firmware needs to be freely available so people can sort the problems out themselves, we can't rely on installers and suppliers here unfortunately. 

@SiliconKid Agreed and I have been informed that they are developing remote monitoring and upgrade capabilities, not sure how the upgrade part will work, but lets give them some time. Looking forward to the remote monitoring at least. 

All new batteries should have the latest boards and firmware on already. My 3rd module landed on Thursday as well and we confirmed that this had the new board and firmware already installed vs the 2 modules I had which were installed mid Feb. For the people who already have these in place and having the same issue, the only option for now is getting them to come and update it, like in my case. Apparently local importer has updated about 100+ batteries in SA already.  I will PM you contact details which you can pass on to the interested people on your side. Anyone else here also welcome to PM me for the details. 

Hi all, reading the posts here has been very useful. I can confirm and agree with Tsa. After many dead ends, Andy, an official dyness importer (Aspergo) visited my house this morning in Bellville. Did a FW update on my one Dyness powerbox (my second powerbox is the newer model and already had later FW on it). We then also realized the comms cable between the master dyness and growatt hub (as I have two 5kw growatts) was incorrect, and needed to be a 2 pin crossed lead. Once this was done, the growatt took the li 01 setting perfectly and all is working great so far. 

Just some additional notes, my growatts would not load both firmwares, only the first one loaded, the second one just didn’t ever kick off. 

One slight concern, the Battery charge rate often drops to 5amps, which is pretty low. Not sure why this is, even when running from Eskom. 

Andy did mention that for all the battery modules to calibrate correctly with the dunes a FW, the battery needs to charge to 100 percent, then behind a discharge, then charge to 100% again, after which all should be calibrated. 

I’ll say again, Andy was next level helpful and genuine. Excellent service. 

@Digital Clouds I suspect you guys spoke to me on the phone regarding the pin outs? :) Richard here.

Yes 100% on the calibration. 

Regarding the charge current, how I understand it is that the BMS will now only take what it needs and that could have been 5A at that stage, might be much more later on. It fluctuates the whole time. I tried locking the AC charge max in to 15A,but not possible on these settings. 

PS: still getting the button press beeps even after reflashing the growatt with the 007 firmware. I'm 99% sure the BOF(15) setting worked for switching off the button beeps on v006 firmware. 

When you have BMS comms working properly the charge rate settings, and several others, are no longer configurable. The BMS takes over and decides what's best. 

Again, that's the whole point. Inversion of control. You don't manually set things, the BMS takes control. 

The 2 settings related to charging current, in particular, are no longer settings, they are now actually real time display values simply showing you how many amps your batteries are drawing at any given point in time. 

It always amuses me that people are so conditioned to setting everything manually that when the BMS takes over and locks settings down and auto configures values they get confused, and still try to override it :)

9 hours ago, Digital Clouds said:

Yes indeed, spoke to you on the phone ! If I can ask, my firmware version is attached  does this match yours? Wondering since I only successfully installed the first FW upgrade. 
Also correct on the charge rates, it fluctuates all day. 

F408337F-4E87-4AD2-AB0D-9D8D47DBE4EE.thumb.jpeg.f35e4de6e7f8dafbf884ee353c5bfecc.jpeg

Hmm, I checked now and mine indicates only 001.02/002.03 . I did do 500.07 and then the 2nd update as well. 

@SiliconKid I know you also did both 1st and 2nd of the latest FW bundle, what does your FW version indicate via the App?