Growatt Inverter + Pylontech Batteries : BMS Comms Guide

SiliconKid

On 2020/07/23 at 8:05 PM, Treschen said:

Pm sent sir please help me as well

To all the guys that are having issues and/or need firmware updates. PLEASE make contact with Growatt themselves so they are aware of the issues and also start getting an idea of numbers. Use the Support option on the ShineWifi app, or email them. PM me if you need email address, but I think it is important that they become aware of everyone having issues. 

11 hours ago, Tsa said:

To all the guys that are having issues and/or need firmware updates. PLEASE make contact with Growatt themselves so they are aware of the issues and also start getting an idea of numbers. Use the Support option on the ShineWifi app, or email them. PM me if you need email address, but I think it is important that they become aware of everyone having issues. 

Already in touch with them but waiting for them to confirm firmware mentioned here in this thread, so far they have sent me the details of how to get the BMS link. Just need to see if the firmware update is required.

Agree with this if we can sign partition with a list of our names I can senD to the Growatt team responsible for Africa 

Okay so BMS cable is in and as  described, however now inverter won't charge at full capacity from solar. Battery is at 49.8v but inverter says its 98% charged, the Li symbol does show on the inverter.

Also its stops supplying the load from solar and switches to battery  setting is SBU

On 2020/07/25 at 8:11 AM, Treschen said:

Agree with this if we can sign partition with a list of our names I can senD to the Growatt team responsible for Africa 

Any suggestions on how to go about this? Think it is a great idea, just need to sort out the logistics. 

OK cool. That is the latest major versions. There have been BMS specific firmware sent out depending on what batteries you run, etc. This was to fix specific comms issues. BUT saying that I am still to hear of someone running Dyness batteries in Li mode(05) profile L01 and not occasionally getting warning 04 & 20 and the inverter restting/house power tripping. 

8 minutes ago, Tsa said:

OK cool. That is the latest major versions. There have been BMS specific firmware sent out depending on what batteries you run, etc. This was to fix specific comms issues. BUT saying that I am still to hear of someone running Dyness batteries in Li mode(05) profile L01 and not occasionally getting warning 04 & 20 and the inverter restting/house power tripping. 

I will ask them now have if a BMS update is required have the Growatt guy on what's app. Using US3000 Pylontech

1 minute ago, Tsa said:

OK 100. What issues are you having?

So far the only issue observed is that after battery is fully charged the growatt stops PV from powering the loads (SBU) it then uses battery to power the load even though solar is available. Checked also that charge source is solar.

Also when charging from pV it's not charging at full amps, solar option 2 says 8a but it's not configurable.

However load kicks in then solar powers the load up to 3.5kw but not the same for charging.

2 minutes ago, Treschen said:

So far the only issue observed is that after battery is fully charged the growatt stops PV from powering the loads (SBU) it then uses battery to power the load even though solar is available. Checked also that charge source is solar.

OK, yes this is the issue as discussed above. Mahone will tell you the same story about the auto discharge safety feature. 

3 minutes ago, Treschen said:

Also when charging from pV it's not charging at full amps, solar option 2 says 8a but it's not configurable.

Option 2 and 11 are overridden when you put it in Li mode and this is now controller by the BMS. That value will constantly change depending on the battery SOC. If you battery gets drained and there is PV available you will see it kick in and the charge value will increase again. 

4 minutes ago, Treschen said:

However load kicks in then solar powers the load up to 3.5kw but not the same for charging.

What is your battery SOC at that time?

2 minutes ago, Tsa said:

OK, yes this is the issue as discussed above. Mahone will tell you the same story about the auto discharge safety feature. 

Option 2 and 11 are overridden when you put it in Li mode and this is now controller by the BMS. That value will constantly change depending on the battery SOC. If you battery gets drained and there is PV available you will see it kick in and the charge value will increase again. 

What is your battery SOC at that time?

If I recall correctly around 98 percent

2 minutes ago, Tsa said:

Yip, would make sense at that SOC. When that close to full it will draw very little for charging. 

Correct but what I don't understand is why it jumps to battery to supply loads after its 100 percent and PV doesn't take over . The solar line also disappears. 

20 minutes ago, Treschen said:

Correct but what I don't understand is why it jumps to battery to supply loads after its 100 percent and PV doesn't take over . The solar line also disappears.

Agreed, seems stupid to me as well as I would think once the BMS is happy with the SOC it should just cut off charging/drop down to mili-amps. Those that know better might not agree and have the correct answer. But please do ask Mahone this question again and why it is controlled by the inverter and not the BMS. 

14 minutes ago, Treschen said:

So it's charging at 800 watts let's see what happens today if it reverts to battery after 100 SoC

I expect, based on what I have seen my side,  that 800W to increase as PV becomes available and your setting 02 to increase along with that. And yes for it to revert to battery once it reaches 100% SOC, but lets see. 

45 minutes ago, Tsa said:

Agreed, seems stupid to me as well as I would think once the BMS is happy with the SOC it should just cut off charging/drop down to mili-amps. Those that know better might not agree and have the correct answer. But please do ask Mahone this question again and why it is controlled by the inverter and not the BMS. 

I expect, based on what I have seen my side,  that 800W to increase as PV becomes available and your setting 02 to increase along with that. And yes for it to revert to battery once it reaches 100% SOC, but lets see. 

Okay just reverted to battery now ? So are you saying this is normal behavior ?

3 minutes ago, Treschen said:

Okay just reverted to battery now ? So are you saying this is normal behavior ?

If your battery is at 100% SOC, then yes. 

Wondering what it will do when you set 01 to SOL? Still trying to figure what exactly the difference is between SOL and SBU? On the user guide I have it says exactly the same thing...

image.png.08f98dfbc3c996be3a987d05dc5dc2fe.png

29 minutes ago, Tsa said:

OK, please let me know what Mahone says and why this is so. 

No problem bud,I sent him all the details including video's of all settings and front panel display.

My own growatt the older model behaves differently solar is always on. I did notice that this behave only happened on 5000TL only after enabling BMS to the battery and putting the growatt in Li mode 

16 minutes ago, Treschen said:

I did notice that this behave only happened on 5000TL only after enabling BMS to the battery and putting the growatt in Li mode 

Yes, exactly this. This is also in Li mode where I have seen 1) My datalogger stop collecting data points for a random period of time and 2) Had the power trips. 

In USE/US2 mode none of this has happened. 

• 2 weeks later...

just to add to the last few posts. What you see is normal, I have the exact same setup. 5kw with US3000.

SOL will provide power using the solar and supplement with the battery during the day, when the sun sets it will switch to utilities a few minutes later.

SBU will provide power using the solar and supplement with the battery during the day, however when the sun sets it will continue using the battery until it reaches the switchover SOC setting and then only use utility.

I have mine set on SOL and the charge setting on solar only. works great for me. Yes the 100/95% switching between battery and solar during the day is irritating but I still believe this to be the act of the battery BMS  rather than a safety feature on the inverter. Nonetheless, I doubt that switching between the 100/95% during the day will have a major issue on the battery life