Goodwe ES 4.6 with generator query

Ryan B

Hi everyone

I installed a Goodwe ES 4.6 inverter with 1 x Pylontech US3000 battery a couple months ago and it has been working flawlessly since then. It replaced by old AVR 5.5KVA petrol generator which I used to have connected to the main db board via a crossover switch.

My question is - in the event of an extended power outage that exceeds the length that the battery can supply, am I able to provide grid replacement power to this inverter via the generator. The generator is connected to the house with a crossover switch. In the event of a grid failure, I used to switch from grid to generator. I am therefore wondering if the same system would apply as I have heard conflicting information. Please note, I do not want to plug the gnerator into the inverter (as you can with the Deye), I just want to substitute grid power with generator power via the crossover switch.

If so, assume this will then run the house and charge the batteries with any spare capacity?

Lastly, my inverter charges the battery at approx 750w/hour - is that correct for my setup?

Tx,

Ryan

I had the same idea, BUT the Goodwe User Manual for ES Series is very clear: DO NOT connect your inverter to a generator: Ref to the image below.  (The inverter has not been designed to cope with all input conditions from a generator. It obviously not advisable to inject energy from the inverter into the generator, something will blow up ....)

My installation works well:

1.  Essential loads are connected to the Backup side of the inverter (alarm system, lights, fridges, essential plugs, gate motor, garage door opener etc)

2. Non-essential and high power loads are still connected to the grid. (dishwasher, kettle, induction plate, washing machine, tumble dryer etc)

3. I had to split the DBs of my house and flatlet in two sections: Grid and Backup. Common Neutral, but each with it's own earth leakage etc.

4. I have have two cross-over switches in series: 1st selects between Grid and Inverter Backup (enable bypassing the Inverter in case of issues). 2nd  select either  Grid/Back (from #1) or Generator. Pros: Safe, compliant, convenient and important: simple to operate. Cons: Generator can only feed Backup circuitry via DB (but if needed, you can still feed other devices from the outlet at the generator, keeping in mind that it is without an earth leakage device). Diagrams available on request.

5. My newly installed Main DB (close to the Inverter etc) has been fitted with 3x DP master isolators for Grid, Backup and Generator feeds. This enables  TOTAL isolation of the main DB for maintenance.

Goodwe and Generator.PNG

Hmmm, as I understand it, it's important NOT to have a common Neutral when you split your DB. Neutrals needs to be split as well, otherwise it interferes with the operation of the RCD's. At least, that's what established thinking is on the subject. I spent a lot of time making sure Neutrals are correctly split in my install a few weeks back

I would have a change over switch an run solely on generator until solar/battery is restored.

A Pylontech 3000 can charge at 34 A or roughly 1700 W. I charge my Pylontech (4 x 2000s) at perhaps half their rated maximum of 100A. I have a 1.2 kW pump that runs everyday and a 1500W geyser element that mops up any excess energy, so I probably charge at about 40 A for large parts of the day. I find mid summer the bank of Pylontechs charging at 90 A can ramp up their temperatures.

Edited by Chris Hobson

Morning everyone,

Tx for the feedback thus far. I chatted to my installer as well as the SA Goodwe rep and they both indicated that it should be safe to do so.

I tested yesterday and had the following results after moving the crossover switch from grid to generator. (I have 2 db boards now - one for essential and one for non-essential whereas I used to just have one db board for the house):

• The battery ran the essential loads (as it does when the power is off)
  • The generator did not charge the battery
  • The generator ran the non-essential loads (as it used to, however it used to run the entire house before)

So somehow, it looks like the generator is only connected to the non-essential load db box now only. Not ideal, as I would prefer to be able to kill 2 birds with 1 stone and be able to run the house and charge the batteries on the gen feed. Does anyone perhaps have any idea on how to overcome this?

Tx,

Ryan

20 hours ago, Ryan B said:

Not ideal, as I would prefer to be able to kill 2 birds with 1 stone and be able to run the house and charge the batteries on the gen feed.

Why would you want to do that? Won’t the generator just work harder then, and you would have all sorts of losses first converting the gen’s AC to DC to charge the batteries and then the batteries’ DC to AC again when you use them?

• 2 months later...
On 2020/09/17 at 5:46 AM, jykenmynie said:

Why would you want to do that? Won’t the generator just work harder then, and you would have all sorts of losses first converting the gen’s AC to DC to charge the batteries and then the batteries’ DC to AC again when you use them?

am actually looking at putting a generator into a system with Goodwe 4.6 and 2x pylontechs - for a low power usage warehouse

the thinking would be to to run the generator for a short period (maybe an hour) on cloudy days, power the lights and charge the batteries. Obviously there will be round trip losses, but its more about keeping the noise disturbance to a minimum length.

• 1 year later...
On 2020/11/25 at 12:58 PM, Steven Burnett said:

am actually looking at putting a generator into a system with Goodwe 4.6 and 2x pylontechs - for a low power usage warehouse

the thinking would be to to run the generator for a short period (maybe an hour) on cloudy days, power the lights and charge the batteries. Obviously there will be round trip losses, but its more about keeping the noise disturbance to a minimum length.

@Steven BurnettDid you get this to work. I have the same setup (just x3 pylotechs) and looking to invest in a generator for backup and failover for the cloudy and rainy days when no sun ?

I wonder if the problem is only, a generator without AVR, or even with a generator with AVR.

Then, is it also a problem with inverter-generators? Problem with these, usually much more expensive to get one that can allow the big load the goodwe will put on it when charging batteries.

So I suspect the issue is more complex than just, dont work with generators, but rather goodwe saying, we will not support you with a generator because most people buy the wrong generator. 

I suspect, this is, because the goodwe is very sensitive that the grid side stay 100% within specific voltage ranges and frequency ranges, which most generators don't do.