CBI Astute pairing problem

Paul Greeff

To all the Astute owners, can you confirm the process for pairing was as stated in the guide.

The steps for both the automatic and manual pairing fails.

(please excuse the copy paste below)

1. I can confirm, the network is 2.4 GHz, 
2. and I can see the CBI ASC is connected on my WiFi network. See the screenshot below. 
3. The blue light has stopped flashing and shows solid blue.

image.png.ff116a5f8e365092a50a84d646233d8e.png
4. However, the app never gets past the pairing process and fails with both the automatic and manual pairing.
5. Every method of pairing shows the CBI connecting to the network and I can ping the CBI. There is no firewall between the CBI and my phone, and nothing blocking connections to the Internet on my side.
6. During the scan process the blue light stops flashing after about 7 to 10 seconds of scanning. Blue light then stays solid, but pairing on phone fails (I noticed later it gives up and disconnects from the router).
7. WiFi signal for both the Huawei phone and CBI are good. They're in the same room as the router. Signal strength as reported by my router for the CBI is great. See the image below.

image.png.d56e6e520466c13a5d62b1a480958e87.png
8. All firewall and content filter rules on my firewall were disabled as a precaution to debug this problem

The key thing I notice is that the pairing process seems to start, and the CBI picks up the wifi and connects. 
Additional information.

image.png.f5176fd0212787a7c3861df09828a4a3.png
I can see traffic to and from the CBI ASC and I can see some of the CBI related IP addresses in these transactions however, these servers appear to be down, i.e., the ports are not open.
image.png.cbe7eadbefd5df113b9a6530abe7855c.png

Port scan shows no open ports for the IPs we see the CBI attempting to connect to and as shown above, ICMP does not come back.

It almost seems as if their AWS servers are not responding. Can anyone else share their experience with the pairing process?

Regards
Paul

Edited by Paul Greeff

Your images don't work. As if it wants us to log in to YOUR email account bikos.....@gmail

Anyways I cant exactly recall the process, but it was something along the lines I had to really hold the button in longer than the document said or something. It wasn't exactly as per the app.

It won't show open ports, as far as I know it uses a broadcast protocol.

Apologies, images have been fixed.

I did not connect to the CBI (later tested, it listens on port 6668 and I can connect to it but of course I don't speak its language), just monitored what it was trying to connect to and tested if they're accessible. None of the four (three or four, not sure anymore) IPs respond on the TCP port the CBI was trying to connect to.

Edited by Paul Greeff

I think GreenMan is referring to the posts MyBB CBI Astute thread

You don't possbly have a Mikrotik router? I see there is a router assistance manual available. Had the same issue om my VOX Mikrotik. Swapped to another router and added without issue.

His fix:
   I can confirm that this was the issue.
   On a Mikrotik Router the DHCP DNS server needs to be changed to 8.8.8.8
   After making the change the devices were added to the app without problems.

While I do use a mikrotik router, my dhcp dns is set to point to a self hosted adguardhome server I run (like pihole), and I had no issues using that as DNS in DHCP. Perhaps thats why I haven't seen the issue you see. But now re-reading your post and seeing your mikrotik screenshots, this is possibly your problem.

I found this guide this morning. It ties in with what you're saying Tuniva.

https://www.cbi-lowvoltage.co.za/faq-category/astute-smart-controller-asc

Bit of a fail on their part. It will not pair if you set the Mikrotik as your DNS server. For some reason it needs Google DNS set in the DHCP server config, not my router. First time I've seen this requirement.

However, once I set 8.8.8.8 in the DHCP config it paired immediately and I can now do what I want with the DNS, it still works so all good.

The app is simple and works well, I look forward to using this on the geyser. 

36 minutes ago, Tinuva said:

While I do use a mikrotik router, my dhcp dns is set to point to a self hosted adguardhome server I run (like pihole), and I had no issues using that as DNS in DHCP. Perhaps thats why I haven't seen the issue you see. But now re-reading your post and seeing your mikrotik screenshots, this is possibly your problem.

Spot on. I am curious as to why it would be an issue, but not a trainsmash, they have a nice guide on their web site explaining how to resolve this, so all good.

Just an update, the CBI has been working flawlessly. It is saving us a ton of power. We now use between 3.5 and 5 kWh on the Kwikot electric geyser where before it used to be more that 10 kWh for the day. More importantly, it stops the power drain on the batteries.

The CBI measures the power consumed, and starts and stops the geyser and alerts on its activities if I want. I can definitely recommend the CBI Astute. I'll be getting another one for the pool pump so I can start it from my study on good solar days when I have power to waste.

• 4 months later...

I'm having a problem with automations not working. I can manually turn the geyser on and off with the app , use the countdown timer from my iPhone. But automations fail all the time , both and and off automations 

signal is good  , 

Edited by Paul459

• 2 years later...

I’m having the exact same issue where pairing starts, flashing blue goes steady, but times out on phone. 

When using a wifi dongle, it pairs perfectly, but not with my home router. 

Using Rain as my ISP with their 5G router. Called them to ask how to change the DNS server, but they quickly said they don’t support that and it can’t be changed. 

Any advice? 

I’m having the exact same issue where pairing starts, flashing blue goes steady, but times out on phone. 

When using a wifi dongle, it pairs perfectly, but not with my home router. 

Using Rain as my ISP with their 5G router. Called them to ask how to change the DNS server, but they quickly said they don’t support that and it can’t be changed. 

Any advice? 

I doubt DNS servers is involved.

Make sure you have 2.4GHz WiFI enabled on the router.

Switch CBI Astute off, remove power. Make sure you have good WiFi coverage where you are.

Switch on again and start pairing process.

I tend to first pair before I install in DB.

• 5 months later...

Just had to add.... 

Got mine installed today, if you have a mesh network or extenders you do no have to put them off if they have an option like below.

I have been struggling with the device for an hour until i almost gave up , turned the Tenda Nova back on and looked in its settings.

So check if you have the below on your nodes.

image.thumb.jpeg.2942d64e58aa8610ffa84f3ae84e761e.jpeg