High pitched noise from Sunsynk 5 kW inverter

Tariq

3 hours ago, Oberfail said:

I think, i might found why we have that issue. I once stumbled over a block diagram of how the inverter is put together.
image.thumb.png.a8bc525994cc2b282a33b3c42a2f144f.png

If that is true, its a hard design flaw, that the AC EMI filter is only on on the grid, but not the Load output.

I would be carefull to call out design flaws. Perhaps that filter in that position makes sense to protect the inverter. I monitor THD and typically the load is running below 2%. I hear a high pitched sound on my 5kW Sunsynk when the solar is producing but I associate it with replacing Eskom... bliss.

We were having this issue with an installation of a brand new January 2023 manufactured 5kW unit. 15kHz noise from various devices around the premises, primarily from the EMI filter board on the microwave. Also from the breakers in the main DB. This is all the time, no matter if there's grid power or not. I had Sunsynk support upgrade the firmware from 3382 to 3384, which did not fix the issue.

A new setting is now available under the battery settings on the inverter, called "Low Noise Mode". By turning this on the inverter restarted and the noise was immediately gone.

Previously we were able to clearly hear and measure the noise at 15kHz using a spectrum analyser app like others have done. Now there is absolutely nothing. I assume that it's now switching at 20kHz as some have suggested, but I can't hear this if it is though. I still consider my hearing pretty decent on high frequencies, but I'm sure it's not as good as a young child. Either way we're very happy with the result.

Note, we did ask Sunsynk support on WhatsApp what the new "Low Noise Mode" setting did before turning it on, and they didn't know. They said it was new, and would ask their technical team. I had a hunch this was the fabled inverter EMI noise reduction setting, and just gave it a go.

4 hours ago, MarkV said:

A new setting is now available under the battery settings on the inverter, called "Low Noise Mode". By turning this on the inverter restarted and the noise was immediately gone.

Do you mind sharing a screenshot of that please? I am on the same firmware but dont see that anywhere.

21 minutes ago, system32 said:

Also what firmware version photo

Not near the inverter now, but this option was available on this inverter on versions 3382 and 3384. (5kW model)

Only tried it on 3384 though.

The photo above is from an inverter on 3384.

Edited by MarkV

15 hours ago, Oberfail said:

I think, i might found why we have that issue. I once stumbled over a block diagram of how the inverter is put together.
image.thumb.png.a8bc525994cc2b282a33b3c42a2f144f.png

If that is true, its a hard design flaw, that the AC EMI filter is only on on the grid, but not the Load output.

When I was trying to figure out the buzzing on my setup I isolated the inverter everywhere except on its grid input. I also switched the house over to Eskom again. So the inverter was basically just another consumer from the grid like other appliances. It still sent the 15000Hz through appliances in this case. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2023/04/08 at 6:49 PM, Oberfail said:

Not so great news for Deye inverter users. I'm running 3384 and still have the 15kHz hiss.

IMG_20230408_134453_636.thumb.jpg.7bc389cfa0eb493b00cd1d5d618193c0.jpg

Screenshot_20230408-134511.thumb.png.2d8547fd3e6614e7977fb074b7efc4a1.png

I must correct myself. After updating to version 3384, a new option appeared.
Settings -> Battery -> Page 2 -> Low Noise mode

Enabling this setting shuts the inverter down, "Grid Mode changed" appears on the screen and after roughly 1 minute it turned on again. Now the frequency is moved from audible 15 kHz to barely audible 20 kHz. This is a very huge improvement.

• 5 weeks later...

I just got the 3.3.8.4 update on my Sunsynk 5kw, but the irritating 15khz noise still remains. I've also tried to tick the "low noise mode" checkbox that now appears under settings->batttery, but the checkbox just goes back to being unticked what you press OK. No inverter shut-down, no shifting the frequency up to 20khz ... nothing. It's unbearable, and so incredibly discouraging after pouring so much of my savings into this product. 😔

31 minutes ago, Faser said:

I just got the 3.3.8.4 update on my Sunsynk 5kw, but the irritating 15khz noise still remains. I've also tried to tick the "low noise mode" checkbox that now appears under settings->batttery, but the checkbox just goes back to being unticked what you press OK. No inverter shut-down, no shifting the frequency up to 20khz ... nothing. It's unbearable, and so incredibly discouraging after pouring so much of my savings into this product. 😔

Try factory defaults reset using pin 9999, then try turn on low noise mode.

• 3 weeks later...