Inverter Choice

Limpopoboy

Hi All

A newbie here so looking for some advice from the more experienced guys. I will be totally off grid, so not grid tied as I understand it. Requiring about 15-16kw per day. I have been proposed a 7.2kw Axpert inverter, 2 x 100ah 48v Narada batteries  and 16 x 325w Can-Sol PV panels.

Question: Is the 7.2kw Axpert inverter my best option for this load and system set up? I have heard maybe not the best option inverter.

Any advice appreciated.

Regards 

Limpopoboy

41 minutes ago, Limpopoboy said:

Hi All

A newbie here so looking for some advice from the more experienced guys. I will be totally off grid, so not grid tied as I understand it. Requiring about 15-16kw per day. I have been proposed a 7.2kw Axpert inverter, 2 x 100ah 48v Narada batteries  and 16 x 325w Can-Sol PV panels.

Question: Is the 7.2kw Axpert inverter my best option for this load and system set up? I have heard maybe not the best option inverter.

Any advice appreciated.

Regards 

Limpopoboy

What is you load you going to run from this. Your daily usage is not an indication of what size inverter you need. You could run 3 x 4kw geysers an hour per day only to give you usage of 12kwh for the day. 

I have the sunsynk 8kw inverter but the 5kw might be fine for you depending on your load. 

I l can't comment on Narada but the hubble Am2 5.5kw batteries seems to be good value for money. I have pylontechs though. 

Panels I would suggest the biggest you can go for and mono panels are better than poly which I think those Canadian panels are. 

@AchmatNo geysers or oven this will be LPG. Difficult to say what the load will be as this will differ throughout the day and possibly time of year. But A/C will run, pool pump will run occasionally washing machine, just the normal house hold things throughout the day/night.

Does this help?

Regards

Limpopoboy

26 minutes ago, Limpopoboy said:

@AchmatNo geysers or oven this will be LPG. Difficult to say what the load will be as this will differ throughout the day and possibly time of year. But A/C will run, pool pump will run occasionally washing machine, just the normal house hold things throughout the day/night.

Does this help?

Regards

Limpopoboy

That does help somewhat. Is this fully of grid with no grid connection available? Or is the grid still there in case of bad solar days? 

The sunsynk 5kw can work for this application. I'm sure the axpert can as well but the sunsynk has really taken the SA market by storm over the last year and for good reason. Its an excellent product. If its fully off grid with no grid connection available I would go with the 8kw sunsynk inverter. 3 x hubble Am2 5.5kw batteries. Two will be sufficient but what if there are a few days of very little solar available to charge them fully for night time use. 

I used an efergy energy monitor to get a better idea of what my usage was. Its not 100% accurate but its a good indication of my daily usage patterns and what my peak power requirements were. 

I have the 5 kW Sunsynk, it is connected to the grid, I run a 2 kW geyser, 9000 btu aircon, washing machine, tumble dryer, dishwasher, microwave, kettle and all plugs and lights, obviously not all at the same time, summer time I used less than 25 kWh per month, now with shorter days that is increasing.

Inverter: I run two houses on my 8 kW Sunsynk and between the two, now that we've shifted loads and reduced consumption where we can we use between 20 and 25 kWh per day, or 600 to 700 kWh per month. Except for days where the geyser, tumble drier and my ancient dishwasher (not referring to myself here, the actual machine) are drawing current at the same time we could even get away with the 5 kW unit. 7.2 kW for you application sounds like plenty, especially if you manage your loads appropriately. 

Battery bank: We have a 14.4 kWh battery bank which is just barely enough to get through the night. We have too many fridges and freezers, our cinema, although reasonably efficient runs well into the night, and we have quite a number of laptops that draw power until everyone is asleep. I can't see how you would run out with the almost 10 kWh battery bank with your usage. We're six people all using electronics till about midnight, so consumption is very high till then.

Solar panels: Lastly, I have 15x 300W solar panels. This is just barely enough for us, but consider again, I am powering two houses, including the geyser (on a timer) for the one house. So your panels should be ok. 

The only concern is what you're going to do on cloudy and rainy days. With thick cloud cover, solar dies almost completely. You can significantly oversize your array to squeeze a bit of power out of the little bit of energy that reaches us when it rains, but it might just be cheaper to add a generator to the system for those days. The last week or so here in Gauteng we used a lot of grid power due to the rain. Looking at our production, I would need to tripple the size of my solar array (at least) if I wanted to be able to get through the last week. However, this wasn't a particularly bad rainy week. So to that end I will be adding another 8 or 9 panels as that is all I can fit on the roof before moving to the other house. After that I'd rather just add a genny for those rainy weeks with load shedding. My two cents.

On 2021/03/25 at 6:57 PM, Brani said:

8kw inverter will be more than sufficient for your consumption. Whoever recommended 2x7,2kw inverters clearly doesn’t understand the difference between total and the maximum. 

@Brani No only 1 x inverter specified 7.2kw Axpert hence the question

On 2021/03/25 at 7:02 PM, Achmat said:

That does help somewhat. Is this fully of grid with no grid connection available? Or is the grid still there in case of bad solar days? 

The sunsynk 5kw can work for this application. I'm sure the axpert can as well but the sunsynk has really taken the SA market by storm over the last year and for good reason. Its an excellent product. If its fully off grid with no grid connection available I would go with the 8kw sunsynk inverter. 3 x hubble Am2 5.5kw batteries. Two will be sufficient but what if there are a few days of very little solar available to charge them fully for night time use. 

I used an efergy energy monitor to get a better idea of what my usage was. Its not 100% accurate but its a good indication of my daily usage patterns and what my peak power requirements were. 

@Achmat Yes, totally off grid.