Lengthening underground HT and 230V leads

Bobster

Question

I have a part of my property that I want to pave over. 

There are three underground leads, in PVC conduit, under the area to be paved. I may have to lengthen two of these to be able to route them deeper. (the third is a now disused cable for an intercom system). 

So the other two are a 230V cable for the garage door, and a high tension lead for the electric fence. 

The latter has a bare earth wire running next to the conduit. 

I am assuming that chocolate box and insulation tape and lighting flex are not the way to go about lengthening these cables. 

Can somebody please tell me the right way? 

6 answers to this question

43 minutes ago, Bobster said:

There are three underground leads, in PVC conduit, under the area to be paved. I may have to lengthen two of these to be able to route them deeper. (the third is a now disused cable for an intercom system). 

So the other two are a 230V cable for the garage door, and a high tension lead for the electric fence. 

I am assuming that chocolate box and insulation tape and lighting flex are not the way to go about lengthening these cables. 

Chocolate blocks inside sealed termination box will be ok. Find a suitable place to mount the termination box and you should be good to go 

3 hours ago, Bobster said:

Where will the joint be located ?

Inside the conduit pipe?

Get the correct sizes ferrules and a crimping tool.  You can use heat shrink with insulation tape . To seal it all up

Edited by Jaws

Posted (edited)

OK... so I have an area that I need to either pave or sow with grass that will grow in a shady area. I know there are cables running around under there, and which every way I go to improve the area I will have to dig a few centimeters. 

So initial excavations revealed actually FOUR cables

1) is for a now disconnected intercom and is also the least troublesome of the lot because it has loads of play in it. No problem there. If it really becomes a problem I can just take it out.

2) was identified as carrying the HT to the electric fence. This already has a join in it (a sealed epoxy enclosure) courtesy of some overzealous gardening,  and once we uncovered the whole run of he cable we found it had enough play to be routed deeper. I plan to throw some concrete over this (to hold it in place and for protection). NB! The thin earth wire was connected to the outside of the conduit with cable ties, so when I move the conduit, the earth moves with it

3) Is surfix (I think, its not cab tie not rip cord) not in a conduit. Mostly it runs underneath the conduit for the HT. I suspect this is a cable to an external light connected to the alarm system. (considering it eventually goes up the garage wall I don't see what else it can be). It is already deep enough, but shouldn't it be in a conduit? I suspect it carries a low DC voltage just to turn the light on.

4) carries 230 V to the garage motor. This is the one that will cause me the most problems. It is routed OVER a water pipe and that point protrudes above ground and is thus vulnerable. Generally it is deep enough, but I would like to snip it, pass it under the water pipe and reconnect. Pulling a new cable through is going to be a big schlep, especially given that I don't know how it connects to the wiring inside the house. So this is the one I would like to snip, reconnect, properly insulate and then cover over. But the more I think about it, the only way seems to be one of those expoxy filled connectors. Or it maybe cheaper/simpler to get a plumber to uncouple the water pipe (it is the main supply to the house), pass the conduit underneath and then reconnect the water pipe (something always goes wrong when I turn my hand to plumbing, so I am not going to attempt this myself).

Thinks for (4). I could just get a connector box that the conduit will fit into. Make the connections with ferrules. Put a big blob of expoxy over the connection and then seal the box with PVC weld. But I'm not an electrician, so what seems adequate to me may be terrifying lethal.

Edited by Bobster
sppeling

Personally I have been through this already, bought a new house last year February and with all the rain we have been having I think I realized why the previous owners sold. 

No matter the epoxy, the conduit, the joints etc etc the cable always manages to find that little bit of moisture and subsequently trip the mains the whole time. 

I have had to pull new cables through to various parts of the house outside, lights, gate motor etc etc. 

My advise is that if you can, pull through a new cable and at least you do not have to worry about digging anything up. Also if its a new hole, consider laying another conduit along side the original one with a draw cable for future expansion plans.