Sunsynk SBU settings

Richyrich

Hi all. I do apologize if this has been posted and answered before, but I am unable to find it.

I'm hoping someone can help me with the settings for this inverter. I've read the manual, but it doesn't explain this page very well.

I want to be mostly off grid, with grid for backup. Eg: SBU like the Axperts. 
Currently the inverter chooses the grid to pull load from, and charge batteries, and use the batteries as a backup, rather than use the grid as a backup. 

What do I change on here to make the panels and batteries the first and second choice and grid as a last option? perhaps when running low on battery in the early hours of the morning, or if the batteries did not charge full during the day if it was overcast?

I can't seem to find any other menu options that seems like they would make any difference in this situation, but I may be wrong

IMG_20210412_214821-min.jpg

1) Check 'Priority Load' - this will direct solar energy to first power the load, with any excess used to charge the battery.

2) Set time of use settings (you can make them all the same). Set SOC/V to your minimum acceptable battery charge. If battery charge is above this, additional load will come from batteries. When battery charge is lower than SOC, then load will be powered by grid. If you check 'Grid' for a time slot, then the battery will also charge to that SOC from grid in that time window.

Thanks for the replies.

Just to understand a little more, on mine at 19:05, it is set to 100%, with grid ticked. 
What I understand this should do is this...If by 19:05 the battery has not been fully charged, the grid should then kick in and charge the battery as well as power the load? As far as I can tell, this is what is happening. 

My other times may be very wrong though. 

Another question, does the inverter need to restart for any changed settings to be applied? Doesn't seem like settings are applied by just changing them

18 minutes ago, Richyrich said:

Thanks for the replies.

Just to understand a little more, on mine at 19:05, it is set to 100%, with grid ticked. 
What I understand this should do is this...If by 19:05 the battery has not been fully charged, the grid should then kick in and charge the battery as well as power the load? As far as I can tell, this is what is happening. 

My other times may be very wrong though. 

Another question, does the inverter need to restart for any changed settings to be applied? Doesn't seem like settings are applied by just changing them

Correct.  But one thing I forgot - you must check 'Use Timer' as well.  If not checked, then battery is only used when grid is not available (and charging is according to the battery configuration pages only).

No need to restart the inverter - settings are applied immediately.

Thanks. 

Just for a little more confirmation, Justin in your first reply you said "Set time of use settings (you can make them all the same)" Can you give me a little more breakdown on this please?

Vassen, with regards to your picture, 04:00 is 40% and 08:00 is 30%. 
So if I understand correctly, at 04:00 if the battery is below 40% the grid will kick in and take over the load. Because the grid box is not ticked, it will not charge the battery? 

2 hours ago, Richyrich said:

Thanks. 

Just for a little more confirmation, Justin in your first reply you said "Set time of use settings (you can make them all the same)" Can you give me a little more breakdown on this please?

Vassen, with regards to your picture, 04:00 is 40% and 08:00 is 30%. 
So if I understand correctly, at 04:00 if the battery is below 40% the grid will kick in and take over the load. Because the grid box is not ticked, it will not charge the battery? 

Basically if the grid is ticked then it is the target for grid charging and if there is no tick then its the minimum SOC that the batteries will no longer be used. 

No tick on 40% will use batteries to 40% SOC. Tick in grid charge will result in batteries being charged from the grid until they reach 40%.

• 1 year later...
8 minutes ago, Tinmug said:

Question:

On my setup all time slots have Grid ticked. None have Gen ticked. Coincidentally I appear to have zero solar input. 

Surely wrong?23413ED8-5F9E-4136-AE89-B3DC835C0A57.jpeg.06e5f2a97cb34c4b981ecc8928167ce5.jpeg

Not wrong per se without understanding your requirements and usage of the system. Basically what that shows is that the inverter will always use the grid to charge batteries to those levels in those time slots. Also your batteries will never go below 60%

So it DOES stand to reason that you wont have any solar input because your batteries are charged to minimum 80% by the grid between 9am and 1pm and then topped up to 100% again from grid from 1pm to 5pm.

If you want the solar to charge batteries and run the house then untick the Grid tickbox for those timeslots. If you do not want to use the grid to charge the batteries then untick for the other timeframes as well

Edited by mzezman

2 hours ago, mzezman said:

Not wrong per se without understanding your requirements and usage of the system. Basically what that shows is that the inverter will always use the grid to charge batteries to those levels in those time slots. Also your batteries will never go below 60%

So it DOES stand to reason that you wont have any solar input because your batteries are charged to minimum 80% by the grid between 9am and 1pm and then topped up to 100% again from grid from 1pm to 5pm.

If you want the solar to charge batteries and run the house then untick the Grid tickbox for those timeslots. If you do not want to use the grid to charge the batteries then untick for the other timeframes as well

Thanks for that.

The obvious thing is to use solar where possible, so would it be correct to tick Gen in the daylight slots (and untick Grid), and leave the night-time slots as they are?

1 hour ago, Tinmug said:

Thanks for that.

The obvious thing is to use solar where possible, so would it be correct to tick Gen in the daylight slots (and untick Grid), and leave the night-time slots as they are?

You can have those timeslots completely unticked (grid and gen); Gen refers to generator. The inverter will then power the house from a combination of the solar, batteries and Eskom (when there is no LS). Depending how you have set it up the priority would be either to charge the batteries or power the load. 

19 minutes ago, Tinmug said:

Can't get any solar input??

Have 4x 540W panels – should be adequate, but at no point does the PV setup provide input. 

Wait so you're saying there is no PV coming into the system at all? What does your flowchart show?

16 minutes ago, Tinmug said:

@mzezman Battery currently charged to desired level (60%); upped that to try and coax something from PV but it still sucks power only from Utility. I cannot recall ever seeing the DC light illuminated. 😑

Thanks in advance for any input or ideas! 

Screenshot 2022-10-28 at 08.56.07.png

IMG_2867.PNG

Is the solar 'breaker' / changeover turned on or is the system set to only use eskom? 

Edited by mzezman

1 hour ago, Tinmug said:

Can't get any solar input??

Have 4x 540W panels – should be adequate, but at no point does the PV setup provide input. 

4 of those panels will struggle to make power as your volts will be right around the minimum of 150v.  So when your DC light on inverter is off it means the MPPT is unable to start up. This will be more obvious when it gets warmer as the voltage drops when its hot. In winter the volts will probably be just enough to start up the MPPT.

Edited by Nexuss

1 hour ago, Nexuss said:

4 of those panels will struggle to make power as your volts will be right around the minimum of 150v.  So when your DC light on inverter is off it means the MPPT is unable to start up. This will be more obvious when it gets warmer as the voltage drops when its hot. In winter the volts will probably be just enough to start up the MPPT.

47v x 4 = 188. Start-up voltage needs 150. What am I missing?

Just now, Nexuss said:

Those panels will rarely run at 47v , if you are using all the power they can produce the volts will be below 40v a panel. If you have a multi-meter you can measure the sting voltage to confirm.

How many you think will be enough then?

• 2 months later...

This is  very informative page, thank you all! 

My Sunsynk 12kW inverter was installed yesterday. It seems it had used battery power down to 20% overnight (which is good!). BUT...when grid power was available, the grid power never kicked in and now the house is in the dark at 5am with batteries at 19%. So inverter turned itself off with a F56-DV Volt Low error message.

Does this mean there is something wrong with ac power coming into inverter?

Or something else?

Not sure how to attach screenshots of settings but any input would be very welcome, thank you!