Sunsynk 8kw no output on load

Tracsec

Just finished completion of an 8kw Sunsync with solar and US3000c battery

On final commissioning and switch on of the system for the first ti.e I have 3 issues.

1. The system initially said no battery (connected via rs485) after switch to CAN would then communicate to the battery but now doesnt appear to want to charge the battery. This is setup correctly in the menu and can be seen with the relevant figures and SOC rates in the bms li menu - so it looks like its communicating.

Attached screenshot shows the status of this battery and the inverter just stays in this current situation without charging.

2. The load output is not sending power out to the essential circuits even though the inverter is powered correctly,as such I'm currently having to use the change over switch to eskom side until I can find out why there is no power out on the load side even though the menu indicates there is 230v.

3. CT is not showing up in the menu. There are inconsistencies in the manual and on the actual board as to where this should be placed but trying all the relevant options as discussed elsewhere here on the forum it still doesn't work.

Is it possible because the ct is not being sensed that the inverter is not "switching" the loads or powering the battery and is waiting for this feedback to determine how to operate or have I got a dead unit straight out the box? 

I've racked my brain trying to figure this out

I'm sure this must be a very simple problem to fix but being the very first sunsynk fitted I'm not familiar with the possible problems or what to look at to try resolve this. 

20210507_173917_resized.jpg

20210507_173726_resized.jpg

1 hour ago, Tracsec said:

Just finished completion of an 8kw Sunsync with solar and US3000c battery

On final commissioning and switch on of the system for the first ti.e I have 3 issues.

1. The system initially said no battery (connected via rs485) after switch to CAN would then communicate to the battery but now doesnt appear to want to charge the battery. This is setup correctly in the menu and can be seen with the relevant figures and SOC rates in the bms li menu - so it looks like its communicating.

Attached screenshot shows the status of this battery and the inverter just stays in this current situation without charging.

2. The load output is not sending power out to the essential circuits even though the inverter is powered correctly,as such I'm currently having to use the change over switch to eskom side until I can find out why there is no power out on the load side even though the menu indicates there is 230v.

3. CT is not showing up in the menu. There are inconsistencies in the manual and on the actual board as to where this should be placed but trying all the relevant options as discussed elsewhere here on the forum it still doesn't work.

Is it possible because the ct is not being sensed that the inverter is not "switching" the loads or powering the battery and is waiting for this feedback to determine how to operate or have I got a dead unit straight out the box? 

I've racked my brain trying to figure this out

I'm sure this must be a very simple problem to fix but being the very first sunsynk fitted I'm not familiar with the possible problems or what to look at to try resolve this. 

20210507_173917_resized.jpg

20210507_173726_resized.jpg

Share your system mode screen. 

CT is only needed if you want to supply loads before the inverter and not needed if you only using it for the essential load. 

• 6 months later...
8 hours ago, JohanBrakpan said:

Good day fellow users. I also have the sunsync and is well setup. 

#1.   As soon as the battery percentage is reach for example 50% eskom must take over.. 

But this is not happening? 

What setting is there that I'm missing?? 

Hello @JohanBrakpan and welcome!

This is set in the System Mode screen. Take a look at this (random) system mode screen as an example:

example.thumb.png.dfbce92543e9fb980400cf0ef7737820.png

• For the entry circled in Green, it tells the inverter that between 00H05 and 07H00, it must use 5500W of power to service essential loads from the battery until the battery SoC is at 30% (and then use Grid). The entry could also be interpreted as telling the inverter to use 5500W of PV to charge the battery (if there was PV available, but we know that no PV would be available at this time slot).
  • For the entry circled in Red, it tells the inverter that between 11H30 and 12H30 it must use 5500W of PV to charge the battery to a 65% SoC, if the battery was lower than 65% SoC. If the the battery was over 65% SoC, then It could also be interpreted as telling the inverter to draw current from battery to supplement PV in order to service essential loads, until 65% SoC was reached.
  • For the entry circled in Blue, it tells the inverter that between 17H00 and 18H30, if the battery is lower than 95% SoC then use 5500W of Generator power to charge the battery to 95%. Or, if the battery is higher than 95%, then use it to supplement PV to service essential loads 

I hope that this helps. I have started a guide on the System Mode screen to assist people, here is version 1.2:

• The inverter will use any source at its disposal to keep essentials, or "Load" alive, within constraints set regarding the battery in the System Mode screen, Work Mode 1 and 2 tabs;
  • The whole System Mode screen revolves around the battery:
    • The inverter will draw from, or charge battery to the desired SoC, at the desired time:
      • from PV (or Grid, or Gen if ticked, and if both ticked, then in that order)
        • drawing from the battery, or charging the battery at the rate (W) specified in the stated power level (but not at a rate higher than what the BMS allows);
    • If Load Priority is ticked, it will use PV at the specified rate (W) to first service essential loads; and
      • if any PV is left over, it will use the left-over PV to charge the battery (even if the battery SoC is higher than what is set);
      • if PV is too little, or the rate (W) set too low to service essential loads, then it will draw what it needs from Grid / Gen / Battery <exact order to be confirmed> to supplement PV;
    • If load priority is unticked:
      • It will use all PV to charge battery, at the specified rate (W) (and will continue to charge past the desired SoC which is set on the timer)
    • If Grid or Gen or both is ticked, it will use Grid or Gen (or if both ticked, then in that order) to achieve the desired SoC of the battery;
      • If the desired SoC is achieved for the timeslot, unlike PV it will stop using Grid / Gen to charge the battery. It does not like to waste PV.
  • Note that battery charge / discharge rates in the timer are overridden by the values in the Battery Setup screen, Batt Type, Batt Charge and Shut Down tabs.
Edited by YellowTapemeasure

10 hours ago, De0n19 said:

"The entry could also be interpreted as telling the inverter to use 5500W of PV to charge the battery" this is incorrect as battery charging is not limited to the value entered here, but rather the value entered in the battery setup screen. 

Thank you for pointing that out, agreed that batt charge settings would ultimately dictate the rate of charge. This entry merely makes the PV power (if any) available to it, during that timeslot.

I have edited it, please check?

"Note that battery charge / discharge rates in the timer are overridden by the values in the Battery Setup screen, Batt Type, Batt Charge and Shut Down tabs." This should be 

• Note that battery discharge rates in the timer override the values up to the maximum specified in the Battery Setup screen, Batt Type, Batt Charge and Shut Down tabs. The timer screen cannot control the battery charge rates but rather it controls the battery charge sources. PV charging is always active and will charge to 100% if sufficient power is available, whilst grid or generator will only charge up to the percentage value set on the timer screen for that time period.

Here are my notes on the SunSynk 8k on the v7 Dec 2021 manual:
https://www.sunsynk.org/manuals

These notes are for a

• SynSynk 8k
  • PV
  • Lithium battery
  • Zero Export (self consumption)
  • no generator
  • all loads on "Critical"

If you have no PV or no Lithium or are exporting, then these notes are not for you.

My use case is as follows:

1. During day, use solar to run house and charge the lithium battery
  2. At night, use battery until 20% then use grid
  3. At night, if no grid (load shedding), use further 10% of battery then shutdown.
  4. At night, if grid returns, charge battery to 20%

First set the Lithium Battery up as per manual section 5.13 Setting Up a Lithium Battery
Note that the charge / discharge Amps in image below is at 48V.
The charge / discharge Amps in the image needs to be below the "C" rating of your battery bank.
This needs to be below the "C" rating of your battery bank.
image.png.75cdf77b85692ed406d7b1d09247db3f.png
If you have 4 batteries in parallel, the charge/discharge current (Amps) increases by 4.
I have 6.4kWp of PV and 4x100Ah 1C batteries.
I use 150A at 48V = 7200W (150A/4=37.5A) which is less than each AM2 battery Amp and "C" rating.
Initially I had an 85A charge setting, and this limited the PV to battery charge to about 4000W. 
After changing to 150A (48V) the batteries charge at ~6kW from the PV or ~1.5kW into each battery (at PV peak period).

It is highly recommended to connect the BMS to the inverter via a suitable CANbus or RS485 Modbus cable.
This allows the BMS to accurately control the charge from the inverter.
Confirm the communications is working via LI-BMS, you should see something like the left panel above.
If you get the screen on the right (just numbers), then the communications is not working.
Try updating the Inverter / battery firmware.
Support for new batteries is being added to the SunSynk firmware continuously.
The Dec 2021 Installer Manual has 43 different Lithium batteries listed.

--
Second set the Charge Amps and Tick Grid Charge as per manual section "5.11 Generator and Battery Page"
I use 60A setting which at 48V is 2880W
image.thumb.png.fcb6c95c5325f01e7c74017aae02b8c2.png

I have a relay that bonds neutral/earth connected to earth spikes when there is no grid.
See https://www.sunsynk.org/post/automatic-neutral-earth-bond

--
Third set the Shutdown % as per section "5.12 Battery Discharge Page"
I use shutdown 10% for a lithium battery - remember 10% is only if there is no grid and no solar (load shedding at night)
Normally the inverter will discharge the battery to the SOC/V (20%) setting in System Work Mode 1 below, then switch to grid.
The inverter will restart when 15% SoC reached (charged from 10%)

image.png.65c114e381ab0adda9138d697434fef5.png
--

Fourth is System Mode - these settings are confusing as they have different rolls see Section "5.14 Program Charge / Discharge Times"
Charge / Discharge Times are designed for "Time-of-Use" functionality and grid export.
The idea behind of TOU is to load shift from peak to off-peak and export/use battery during peak and charge during off peak.
I don't use TOU or export, but these settings are required to ensure the inverter works as I want.
Since I don't do TOU, I've used the same settings for all the periods - 20% SoC & Grid Charge ticked.
image.thumb.png.6ad947143c3efa4f58324fb80858e4a4.png

I could only get the inverter to work as I expected when I ticked "Use Timer" - else it seem to work like a UPS.
I set my SOC/V to 20% and ticked "Grid" [Charge] as per image above.
Grid Charge is only dune under specific circumstances from 10% (Shutdown) to 20% (SOC/V) and is not normally used.
See "Grid Returns" below for effect of Grid Charge tick.

Note: I don't have anything on the Grid Side or Aux (Gen) Load - I do have a CT coil on the Grid side.

How it works with the above settings

Day Operation
The inverter will use Solar to power the Loads and excess to charge the battery to 100%
Once the battery reaches 100% about 11:30am, the excess is not used as I have zero export ticked.

Night Operation (or no sun) & grid available
Battery above 20%, the inverter will use the battery to power the load (note I don't have anything on the Grid side or Aux side)
Battery at 20%, the inverter will use the grid to power the load.
The battery will drain from 100% to 20% and stop and switch to grid.
The battery will remain at 20% waiting for Solar.
There will always be a 10% reserve in the event of no grid (see "No Grid" below).

No Grid (Load Shedding) at night
The inverter will use the battery from 100% to 20% then to 10% to power the load.
Battery at 10%, the inverter will shutdown.

Grid Returns (after Load Shedding) at night
IF you have "Grid" charge ticked AND Battery < 20% THEN
   The inverter will use grid to charge to 20% and stop charging the battery at 20%.
END IF
Once Solar returns, Solar will to charge the battery.
Note: Battery will hardly ever go below 20%. You need to be at 20% first when load shedding happens.

EDIT1:
One last tip - if LI-BMS is not working, ensure your inverter firmware is current as new battery support is being added all the time:
Nov 2021 Installer Manual had 28 Lithium batteries listed
Dec 2021 Installer Manual has 43 Lithium batteries listed

I found the below video on the Deye to be of some help in explaining TOU
Use pause/slow motion to see the animations.
https://youtu.be/79IUkH3tPQ8

EDIT2:
Clarity on Amp and "C" for battery bank.

EDIT3:
Clarity on the "Grid Tick" in Work Mode 1

Edited by system32

4 hours ago, De0n19 said:

"Note that battery charge / discharge rates in the timer are overridden by the values in the Battery Setup screen, Batt Type, Batt Charge and Shut Down tabs." This should be 

• Note that battery discharge rates in the timer override the values up to the maximum specified in the Battery Setup screen, Batt Type, Batt Charge and Shut Down tabs. The timer screen cannot control the battery charge rates but rather it controls the battery charge sources. PV charging is always active and will charge to 100% if sufficient power is available, whilst grid or generator will only charge up to the percentage value set on the timer screen for that time period.

I am not sure that I agree. The BMS ultimately controls the maximum rate of charge of the batteries, not the Battery setup screens. This guide is for the system mode screen.

Maybe we should just rewrite the whole manual 😁

9 hours ago, system32 said:

These notes are for a

• SynSynk 8k
  • PV
  • Lithium battery
  • no generator

Thank You for posting these notes, I am busy with my first 8KW install and not all loads will be critical as yours. The DB has been split in Essential and Non-essential although it has a optional change-over switch for non-essential loads as well. Your notes will be handy when I set up the inverter, I am using BSL lithium batteries. It is not my system but exited and same time nervous to switch it on😅

15 hours ago, YellowTapemeasure said:

I am not sure that I agree. The BMS ultimately controls the maximum rate of charge of the batteries, not the Battery setup screens. This guide is for the system mode screen.

Maybe we should just rewrite the whole manual 😁

I have a single us3000 and have the max charge rate set to 30 amps in the battery screen, when my battery is under 90% it will charge at a max of 30 amps even though the bms can allow it to charge up to 37amps. After 90% the BMS restricts the charge rate to 14 amps and since that is lower it will not exceed 14 amps.

So the bms charge values cannot be exceeded but the charge rates can be reduced on the battery setup screen. 

On 2021/12/11 at 2:16 PM, De0n19 said:

I have a single us3000 and have the max charge rate set to 30 amps in the battery screen, when my battery is under 90% it will charge at a max of 30 amps even though the bms can allow it to charge up to 37amps. After 90% the BMS restricts the charge rate to 14 amps and since that is lower it will not exceed 14 amps.

So the bms charge values cannot be exceeded but the charge rates can be reduced on the battery setup screen. 

Yes, that is what I said.  The BMS ultimately controls the maximum rate of charge of the batteries. Agreed that the battery setup screens can specify a lower rate.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2021/12/10 at 2:18 PM, system32 said:

https://www.sunsynk.org/manuals

These notes are for a

• SynSynk 8k
  • PV
  • Lithium battery
  • no generator

If you have no PV or no Lithium or are exporting, then these notes are not for you.

My use case is as follows:

1. During day, use solar to run house and charge the lithium battery
  2. At night, use battery until 20% then use grid
  3. At night, if no grid (load shedding), use further 10% of battery then shutdown.
  4. At night, if grid returns, charge battery to 20%

First set the Lithium Battery up as per manual section 5.13 Setting Up a Lithium Battery
Note that the charge / discharge Amps in image below is at 48V.
The charge / discharge Amps in the image needs to be below the "C" rating of your battery bank.
This needs to be below the "C" rating of your battery bank.
image.png.75cdf77b85692ed406d7b1d09247db3f.png
If you have 4 batteries in parallel, the charge/discharge current (Amps) increases by 4.
I have 6.4kWp of PV and 4x100Ah 1C batteries.
I use 150A at 48V = 7200W (150A/4=37.5A) which is less than each AM2 battery Amp and "C" rating.
Initially I had an 85A charge setting, and this limited the PV to battery charge to about 4000W. 
After changing to 150A (48V) the batteries charge at ~6kW from the PV or ~1.5kW into each battery (at PV peak period).

It is highly recommended to connect the BMS to the inverter via a suitable CANbus or RS485 Modbus cable.
This allows the BMS to accurately control the charge from the inverter.
Confirm the communications is working via LI-BMS, you should see something like the left panel above.
If you get the screen on the right (just numbers), then the communications is not working.
Try updating the Inverter / battery firmware.
Support for new batteries is being added to the SunSynk firmware continuously.
The Dec 2021 Installer Manual has 43 different Lithium batteries listed.

--
Second set the Charge Amps and Tick Grid Charge as per manual section "5.11 Generator and Battery Page"
I use 60A setting which at 48V is 2880W
image.thumb.png.fcb6c95c5325f01e7c74017aae02b8c2.png

I have a relay that bonds neutral/earth connected to earth spikes when there is no grid.
See https://www.sunsynk.org/post/automatic-neutral-earth-bond

--
Third set the Shutdown % as per section "5.12 Battery Discharge Page"
I use shutdown 10% for a lithium battery - remember 10% is only if there is no grid and no solar (load shedding at night)
Normally the inverter will discharge the battery to the SOC/V (20%) setting in System Work Mode 1 below, then switch to grid.
The inverter will restart when 15% SoC reached (charged from 10%)

image.png.65c114e381ab0adda9138d697434fef5.png
--

Fourth is System Mode - these settings are confusing as they have different rolls see Section "5.14 Program Charge / Discharge Times"
Charge / Discharge Times are designed for "Time-of-Use" functionality and grid export.
The idea behind of TOU is to load shift from peak to off-peak and export/use battery during peak and charge during off peak.
I don't use TOU or export, but these settings are required to ensure the inverter works as I want.
Since I don't do TOU, I've used the same settings for all the periods - 20% SoC & Grid Charge ticked.
image.thumb.png.6ad947143c3efa4f58324fb80858e4a4.png

I could only get the inverter to work as I expected when I ticked "Use Timer" - else it seem to work like a UPS.
I set my SOC/V to 20% and ticked "Grid" [Charge] as per image above.
Grid Charge is only dune under specific circumstances from 10% (Shutdown) to 20% (SOC/V) and is not normally used.
See "Grid Returns" below for effect of Grid Charge tick.

Note: I don't have anything on the Grid Side or Aux (Gen) Load - I do have a CT coil on the Grid side.

How it works with the above settings

Day Operation
The inverter will use Solar to power the Loads and excess to charge the battery to 100%
Once the battery reaches 100% about 11:30am, the excess is not used as I have zero export ticked.

Night Operation (or no sun) & grid available
Battery above 20%, the inverter will use the battery to power the load (note I don't have anything on the Grid side or Aux side)
Battery at 20%, the inverter will use the grid to power the load.
The battery will drain from 100% to 20% and stop and switch to grid.
The battery will remain at 20% waiting for Solar.
There will always be a 10% reserve in the event of no grid (see "No Grid" below).

No Grid (Load Shedding) at night
The inverter will use the battery from 100% to 20% then to 10% to power the load.
Battery at 10%, the inverter will shutdown.

Grid Returns (after Load Shedding) at night
IF you have "Grid" charge ticked AND Battery < 20% THEN
   The inverter will use grid to charge to 20% and stop charging the battery at 20%.
END IF
Once Solar returns, Solar will to charge the battery.
Note: Battery will hardly ever go below 20%. You need to be at 20% first when load shedding happens.

EDIT1:
One last tip - if LI-BMS is not working, ensure your inverter firmware is current as new battery support is being added all the time:
Nov 2021 Installer Manual had 28 Lithium batteries listed
Dec 2021 Installer Manual has 43 Lithium batteries listed

I found the below video on the Deye to be of some help in explaining TOU
Use pause/slow motion to see the animations.
https://youtu.be/79IUkH3tPQ8

EDIT2:
Clarity on Amp and "C" for battery bank.

EDIT3:
Clarity on the "Grid Tick" in Work Mode 1

Thank you System32.  I will go thru each of your notes carefully and compare.  My trouble is that I am using micro inverters connected to the GEN Port, no panels directly connected to my Deye.  My Deye keeps turning the micro inverters off, mostly during the best time of day.  I never get a 100% charge unless I trip the main grid breaker.  I then have to switch it back on when my batteries are full.  Then all I am running is a manual system.  Not what I want to do everyday.  I am reaching out to Deye again to seek help.  Up to now, no answer from them.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, Ii have a problem. Eskom went off and when it came on my inverter stopped giving power to load. All 4 dials are zero. I did reset  but of no use. Did Switching off procedure and switching on procedure. No use. All settings are correct. Green button is on. Also tried failing the incoming mains. Normal light stays off.

• 3 months later...
On 2022/09/24 at 4:46 PM, muarray said:

Hi, Ii have a problem. Eskom went off and when it came on my inverter stopped giving power to load. All 4 dials are zero. I did reset  but of no use. Did Switching off procedure and switching on procedure. No use. All settings are correct. Green button is on. Also tried failing the incoming mains. Normal light stays off.

Same problem here. How did you solve yours?

I have a Revov Cube system with a Synsynk 6kVA 19” rackmount inverter and with two Revov LiFePO4 batteries.

I run it as a loadshedding backup and thus have no PV installed.

Everything was working just fine for weeks now, and I literally did not know when loadshedding happens.

Yesterday, loadshedding happened as per schedule, but lasted more than 4.5 hours. I was unaware and ran induction plates and my oven. The load is within the Sunsynk capacity. But, I accidentally drained my batteries to zero, and everything shut down.

When Eskom came on, the Sunsynk started charging the batteries, but gave no power output to the house.

I then switched to bypass and Eskom fed the house and Sunsynk continued to charge the batteries. Despite that the inverter charges, when I Switch to inverter, there is no power to the house.

Now the batteries are idling at 90% state of charge, but it still won’t feed power to the house.

Advice please?