Pylontech 3000C and 3000

ALP

On 2021/06/01 at 6:16 PM, Anonymous_Llopi said:

You need a RS232 to USB converter, the converters nomally have a male conector, so the cables you need to do will need a Female DB9 conector (that's how the conector is called, RS232 is the protocol), heres one:

Hi Anonymous_Llopi 

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Will now proceed to do the updates,

Mucho appreciated

19 hours ago, Anonymous_Llopi said:

Yes, for some reason pylontech themselves say to use the US3000A update for US3000B batteries, they probably have the same BMS or something, the difference between an A battery and a B battery it's probably very minor, I don't think I have ever even seen an A battery 

They specifically told me about this update

Cheers

Has anybody seen any real benefit to the upgrade? I'm hesitant to play if there's nothing wrong with my batteries.

4 minutes ago, FixAMess said:

Has anybody seen any real benefit to the upgrade? I'm hesitant to play if there's nothing wrong with my batteries.

Same here. My batteries are still on the original firmware from the time that I bought them. Not even sure what version as I don't have battery view to check. 

Currently have 3*US3000B and 1*US3000C batteries and plan to add another one in September. 

Just now, Achmat said:

Same here. My batteries are still on the original firmware from the time that I bought them. Not even sure what version as I don't have battery view to check. 

Currently have 3*US3000B and 1*US3000C batteries and plan to add another one in September. 

I had to update my US3000C as it was not playing well with my US2000 modules. Every night, during discharge around 60% SOC, it would throw a SysError and it would shut down while the rest of the US2000's in the pack continues to work. After the update, that issue was resolved for me. 

33 minutes ago, FixAMess said:

My latest US3000B did not play well together with my older 3 ones. Turns out it was on a newer firmware than the older ones. Updating all to the latest v2.8 solved that problem

@Achmat Are you not also from the Somerset West area? If yes, you're welcome to borrow my USB-console cable for the US3000B's to look into your batteries. Can also give you the software if you need

On 2021/05/25 at 7:01 PM, Anonymous_Llopi said:

Latest version for US3000B is 2.8

So I checked my battery versions;

I see there is a software Version as well as a boot version.

Youngest Battery is 2.5 and 2.0 boot version (Dec 2020)

All others are 1.3 and 1.4 Boot version. (2019)

Will let sleeping dogs lie and not upgrade.

4 minutes ago, wolfandy said:

My latest US3000B did not play well together with my older 3 ones. Turns out it was on a newer firmware than the older ones. Updating all to the latest v2.8 solved that problem

@Achmat Are you not also from the Somerset West area? If yes, you're welcome to borrow my USB-console cable for the US3000B's to look into your batteries. Can also give you the software if you need

Yes. I'm in Somerset West. Would be brilliant if I can borrow it just to do a quick check of the battery bank and individual cells. 

7 minutes ago, Achmat said:

Would be brilliant if I can borrow it just to do a quick check of the battery bank and individual cells. 

No prob. Have dropped you a PM

One other things that I noticed once I had the Pylon BMS directly communicate with my Sunsynk (vs previously ICC) is that the Pylon BMS dynamically adjusts the requested charging current based on SOC. Had not seen that before

7 minutes ago, wolfandy said:

No prob. Have dropped you a PM

One other things that I noticed once I had the Pylon BMS directly communicate with my Sunsynk (vs previously ICC) is that the Pylon BMS dynamically adjusts the requested charging current based on SOC. Had not seen that before

Had the same. I even had the BMS force a grid charge of the batteries even though the inverter is set to never charge from the grid. 

1 minute ago, Achmat said:

I think it went down to 8% before requesting the forced charged from the inverter. I recall it stopping the forced charge when SOC reached 13%.

Ok - thnx. My guess would be that the self-preservation mechanism of the Pylon kicked in (I take it this was on a US3000B, correct?)

1 minute ago, wolfandy said:

Ok - thnx. My guess would be that the self-preservation mechanism of the Pylon kicked in (I take it this was on a US3000B, correct?)

Correct. I only had the 3*US3000B at the time. 

The fact that the pylontech bms had this much control over the inverter and it communicated correctly gives me reassurance that I've gone with the right battery. 

Having comms just indicating SOC is not enough and I'm not sure if any of the other lithium batteries can do same. I've also only seen the pylontech bms report SOH and not just SOC values. 

@Leshenhow much control does the hubble bms have over the inverter setting? Can it limit charge and discharge rates of the inverter and can the BMS force the inverter to charge the batteries from the grid?

4 hours ago, Achmat said:

Correct. I only had the 3*US3000B at the time. 

The fact that the pylontech bms had this much control over the inverter and it communicated correctly gives me reassurance that I've gone with the right battery. 

Having comms just indicating SOC is not enough and I'm not sure if any of the other lithium batteries can do same. I've also only seen the pylontech bms report SOH and not just SOC values. 

@Leshenhow much control does the hubble bms have over the inverter setting? Can it limit charge and discharge rates of the inverter and can the BMS force the inverter to charge the batteries from the grid?

Hi Achmat. 

I chatted to Hubble and they will put out a post explaining their BMS functionality. 

20 hours ago, FixAMess said:

I upgraded my Pylons, hoping (in vain as it turned out) that the "stuck at 89%" bug will be gone.

The main change that I have seen is in the voltage that is required to reach 100% SOC.  Previously my batteries easily reached 100% with a charge voltage of 52.6V, and would even go beyond 100%.  After the upgrade they need 53.0V to (barely) get to 100%, and I have never seen them go beyond 100%.

Whether this is an improvement or not is open to debate.  It does however mean that you may have a problem where only some of the batteries in a stack are on the version 2.8 firmware.

Edited by Calvin

Hi, I've #3 US3000 from 2020-May manufactured, now I'm planning to expand battery bank. Would you reccomend to change to US3000C or keep buying the same version instead.

Is there a technical advantage really? Read that 95%DoD vs 90% is one perhaps, and for future compatibility issues (different rj cables) being and "end user" with limited experience, is worth it? (In my country they sell them at same price).

I use Victron Inverter, and even don't know how to see cycles number if available.

Thanks, Regards!!!

3 hours ago, sanchuka said:

Hi, I've #3 US3000 from 2020-May manufactured, now I'm planning to expand battery bank. Would you reccomend to change to US3000C or keep buying the same version instead.

Is there a technical advantage really? Read that 95%DoD vs 90% is one perhaps, and for future compatibility issues (different rj cables) being and "end user" with limited experience, is worth it? (In my country they sell them at same price).

I use Victron Inverter, and even don't know how to see cycles number if available.

Thanks, Regards!!!

There is no stock here of the older versions as they are discontinued. 

I added a US3000C to my existing bank of 3*US3000B batteries and no issues. 

5 hours ago, Achmat said:

There is no stock here of the older versions as they are discontinued. 

I added a US3000C to my existing bank of 3*US3000B batteries and no issues. 

Thank you! @Achmat, I will go straight forward to US3000C version. Great Forum!!!

Regards!

Just now, sanchuka said:

Thank you! @Achmat, I will go straight forward to US3000C version. Great Forum!!!

Regards!

Follow the pylontech battery balancing procedure before connecting it to the inverter. Also the new battery should be the master battery. 

8 hours ago, Achmat said:

Follow the pylontech battery balancing procedure before connecting it to the inverter. Also the new battery should be the master battery. 

@Achmatsorry to bother, but I've read/watch two methods for battery balancing.

1) Charge 100%SOC existing Battery Bank and charge separately new Battery(s) at 100%SOC, then connect together with BMS, cables, others.

2) A youtube procedure, which I assume to Discharge my existing Battery Bank to similar %SOC (Green Led Lights) of new Battery(s) and then connect them together as youtube video, before connecting to Inverter.

I'm an Off-Grid user with no AC-Input, so would like to confirm if can be done option 2), or is mandatory follow option 1) procedure (Very Good Sunny Day).

I did not find a Pylontech Official Procedure. Regards! and Thank You!

2 hours ago, sanchuka said:

@Achmatsorry to bother, but I've read/watch two methods for battery balancing.

1) Charge 100%SOC existing Battery Bank and charge separately new Battery(s) at 100%SOC, then connect together with BMS, cables, others.

2) A youtube procedure, which I assume to Discharge my existing Battery Bank to similar %SOC (Green Led Lights) of new Battery(s) and then connect them together as youtube video, before connecting to Inverter.

I'm an Off-Grid user with no AC-Input, so would like to confirm if can be done option 2), or is mandatory follow option 1) procedure (Very Good Sunny Day).

I did not find a Pylontech Official Procedure. Regards! and Thank You!

Option 2 will also work. You just need to make sure that the existing battery bank is as close to the new battery SOC level. It will take long to balance if the battery SOC levels are far apart.