Combiner box for 4 strings

Gerrie

Advise welcome I’m planning 4 strings to a 8KW Sunsynk. I am thinking of using this box to bring in 4 strings and out with 4 strings to the inverter. Would this box be sufficient or is there better options? Should I use two of these boxes?

4 x strings of 5 x 450W 

FB2C0826-1FF6-4BBF-BD6E-693359CBCF77.jpeg

16 minutes ago, 87 Dream said:

Can you open her up so we can see her on the inside?

Unfortunately I took the photo while at the supplier today and did not look inside, I also agree about not using the dc switches. Do you think I could remove the dc switches and fit two extra sets of surge protection units so that each string has protection before going into the inverter? Or I was hoping to find a 4 string ready off the shelf unit.

27 minutes ago, 87 Dream said:

Otherwise you can buy the same enclosure from Voltex & get the fuse and holders along with the Surge stuff & do it yourself.

Thanks for the advice, I will look into the Voltex option as that makes sense, at this time it’s still just the planing stage, With my own system I did build my own combiner box it was for two strings though, it’s not the best looking thing but it was done with what I had lying around in the garage as the budget was too tight to allow new off the shelf stuff. This system though is for a customer and will have to be top notch.

12 hours ago, 87 Dream said:

Hi Gerrie, this is good for four ✅ strings.

Can you open her up so we can see her on the inside? Is she prewired already? 

If this is a pre bought unit I could understand. Because you do not need the DC switches. The Fuse and cartridge units and breakers serve the same purpose. 

@87 Dream I have one question, in my case I have to strings of 6 X 410 W panels, they are all bolted to the same metal structure and the structure is connected to earth via an earth spike, so in theory all panels are grounded, would one surge arrester suffice? or do I need a surge arrester per string?

14 hours ago, 87 Dream said:

Hi Gerrie, this is good for four ✅ strings.

Can you open her up so we can see her on the inside? Is she prewired already? 

If this is a pre bought unit I could understand. Because you do not need the DC switches. The Fuse and cartridge units and breakers serve the same purpose. 

Why would you not need the DC switches? If you would like to isolate a sting, can you just pull the fuse holders? Are they rated to be operated under load?

Edited by PowerUser

23 hours ago, Gerrie said:

Advise welcome I’m planning 4 strings to a 8KW Sunsynk. I am thinking of using this box to bring in 4 strings and out with 4 strings to the inverter. Would this box be sufficient or is there better options? Should I use two of these boxes?

4 x strings of 5 x 450W 

FB2C0826-1FF6-4BBF-BD6E-693359CBCF77.jpeg

My DIY fuse box for 2x strings 270 volts

IMG-20211118-WA0018.jpg

7 hours ago, 87 Dream said:

I dunno maybe we all guilty of this but it has become a standard even online I guess to call it by this name...Then again its combining Surge and fuses...Unguz jo🤣

But it is a combiner box it combines the panels to the inverter 😂

My mistake the thread should probably be called a four string fuse box with surge protection.🙃