single phase generator on 3 phase Sunsynk inverter.

Nick De Jong

Question

Hi Guys

I have just upgraded to a 12kw Sunsynk 3 phase inverter. Problem is my generator is only single phase.

Can I still use it on this inverter to supply my load (UPS - which I am only drawing single phase off)

In other works can I still wire it up to the Gen input at N and L1 the I only draw off N and L1 on my Load ???

appreciate any feedback.

Cheers Nick

Benoni SA

On 2021/12/15 at 1:20 PM, Nick De Jong said:

Hi Guys

I have just upgraded to a 12kw Sunsynk 3 phase inverter. Problem is my generator is only single phase.

Can I still use it on this inverter to supply my load (UPS - which I am only drawing single phase off)

In other works can I still wire it up to the Gen input at N and L1 the I only draw off N and L1 on my Load ???

appreciate any feedback.

Cheers Nick

Benoni SA

Hi ... I would also like to know the answer to this.  If the generator is connected like this, can it charge the battery if the load is less than the generator capacity?

4 hours ago, Sc00bs said:

@Nick De Jong VSD Converter - Single phase 220V Input, 3 phase 220V output. 

Pricing depends on the size of the inverter you need for your generator 

https://cfptechnologies.co.za/product/veichi-ac70/

You still cannot input 220V 3 pH to the inverter when it is meant to work on a 380V 3ph system as per the grid. 

7 hours ago, Sc00bs said:

As far as I am aware (I could definitely be wrong here)  @Scorp007 

I think that it is the same thing, 220V is from any of the phases to Earth and it is 380V between the phases

It is always possible. I could not download any of the links. Those that I have seen you have to reconnect the motor to delta as the output is 220V between phases if 220V 1ph is given as an input. They also only give a 3 wire output and not 4 wire. 

Edited by Scorp007

1 hour ago, iiznh said:

@Nick De Jong So thinking out of the box here but you could use the gennie with a suitable 220V battery charger (if you can find one large enough) and charge the battery directly bypassing the inverter completely. If the battery BMS has a coulomb counter it should still report the correct battery SoC

You can get one of 5kw if you want one. Expect to pay upwards of R13000 for one of about 80-100A on the 48V side. Rather buy a Axpert and use only the charger. Hahaha. 

Edited by Scorp007

m starting with a 3 phase invertor right now too

and the question is can i run my 1 phase generator which powers the whole house 3 phases (fake three phases just a 220volts on every phase from gens 1 phase

so it could power up Inverter (all three phases would be that fake i told before) so the inverter charges the battery?

or i only need a 3 phase generator and there is no way of charging a 3ph Inverter with a 1 phase gen (options are: gen current goes to inverter grid, gen current goes to inverter aux-gen input, gen current goes to aux -mikroinverter 

Hi, I have a 3 phase generator 35kva (Kipor) with a automatic transfer switch and smart Gen controller.

At the moment I have opted for a single phase 8 KVA Sunsynk inverter which can be expanded to a 3 phase system later ( each inverter doing one phase)

My idea is to rewire my Db board for essential loads on one phase and non essential loads on the other phases for now. Can I use my 3x phase Gen to integrate with my one phase inverter for now. Eg If the batteries run flat the generator will then start to charge the batteries according to % set.

The obvious drawback is that the non essential loads will not have power if there is loadshedding 

Any ideas ? Or advise 

9 hours ago, DewaldF said:

Hi, I have a 3 phase generator 35kva (Kipor) with a automatic transfer switch and smart Gen controller.

At the moment I have opted for a single phase 8 KVA Sunsynk inverter which can be expanded to a 3 phase system later ( each inverter doing one phase)

My idea is to rewire my Db board for essential loads on one phase and non essential loads on the other phases for now. Can I use my 3x phase Gen to integrate with my one phase inverter for now. Eg If the batteries run flat the generator will then start to charge the batteries according to % set.

The obvious drawback is that the non essential loads will not have power if there is loadshedding 

Any ideas ? Or advise 

Yes that can be done 

I have a 3ph 12kw Sunsynk inverter, cannot find the ATS240 output to connect the E/N Bond relay coil to. TBH no outputs provide 240vAC when signaling Island mode. The manual describes ATS240 pins, but my inverter does not have these.

Edited by UserB
spelling error

On 2023/03/31 at 9:09 AM, darrellok said:

I have a 12 kva 3 phase Sunsync inverter and I use a single phase genie to charge the batteries when I need. It switches on and off accorcing to the paramaters that you set on the app works like a bomb.

What generator are you using?

On 2023/05/01 at 8:46 PM, UserB said:

I have a 3ph 12kw Sunsynk inverter, cannot find the ATS240 output to connect the E/N Bond relay coil to. TBH no outputs provide 240vAC when signaling Island mode. The manual describes ATS240 pins, but my inverter does not have these.

Use a multimeter and check on the pins. It is CN2 Grid Ry 5 & 6 I think. I am also busy with my installation and have not tested yet but I believe these are the ones. Let me know if it is and whether the contactor needs to be NO or NC please.

On 2023/05/01 at 8:46 PM, UserB said:

Did you ever resolve this?

On 2023/05/09 at 1:56 PM, Weimaraner said:

Use a multimeter and check on the pins. It is CN2 Grid Ry 5 & 6 I think. I am also busy with my installation and have not tested yet but I believe these are the ones. Let me know if it is and whether the contactor needs to be NO or NC please.

According to the manual yes, but practically, it doesnt appear to work at all

On 2023/03/23 at 9:08 AM, Sc00bs said:

@Nick De Jong VSD Converter - Single phase 220V Input, 3 phase 220V output. 

Pricing depends on the size of the inverter you need for your generator 

https://cfptechnologies.co.za/product/veichi-ac70/

I highly doubt that the 3-phase SunSynk inverter will accept the non-sinusoidal VSD/VFD output waveform.

image.png.a4b28ebfbe394e22ce30351edfd298f6.png

Edited by Kilowatt Power

I have a 12 kva 3 phase Sunsync inverter and I use a single phase genie to charge the batteries when I need. It switches on and off accorcing to the paramaters that you set on the app works like a bomb.

Hi Darryl, if i may ask how did you wire a single generator into the gen port of a 12kw sunsynk?

Hi Darrel, if i may ask how did you accomplish this? Are you using a vds? Or is it wired straight into the gen port?