Replacing centurion D5 gate motor battery with Life P04 battery

Vin

Due to all the load shedding my gate motor batteries are taking a beating. I put in a Forbatt gel battery a few months ago and its already on its way out. I am considering replacing the battery with something like this :https://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/559987360/Hoselect_LifePo4_LA127_Lithium_7_2ah_12_8v_Rechargeable_Battery.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwquWVBhBrEiwAt1KmwtN88odwCkn8ORAUQlxg8c1W_3Ty-9WzCaf0qnp3uShalDSbxBECohoCYi8QAvD_BwE

is this even possible? Has anyone has done this before. Can the standard built in charger charge the lithium battery? 

22 minutes ago, stok said:

It has a 7.2 amp discharge rating, my gate motor (centurion D3) draws 15amps the 1st meter  and about 10 amps the rest of the way. not sure if 7.2amps will be enough for your gate?

It should be fine provided the battery can provide 3 x C for 10sec. Some can only provide 1C.

1 hour ago, Sc00bs said:

Thanks. Just out of curiosity how did you connect the lithium battery charger to the battery? Did you have to retain the existing power supply unit and board to battery wires just added the lithium charger to the battery?

2 hours ago, stok said:

will need to confirm if the BMS allows for 3c for 10 seconds burst and if the physical construction of the battery can support 21 amps...

I bought a 40ah 12.8v locally manufactured battery pack that is rated by the maker at 35a constant discharge, I did not test this claim and I am glad I did not.

I opened the battery and found that the 32650 cells was in a 8p4s configuration with a tiny bms that is marked 30A, first red light, after removing the barley paper wrapping I was astound to find they used 5mm x 0.1mm Nickle strips, (actually it looks like the used 10mm x 0.1mm strips that they cut in half not straight either, the thickness varies between 3mm and 7mm) they used four strips per series connection.  Assuming it is pure Nickle that size strip is only good for max 4.2A and if it is Nickle plated steel it can only do 2A. 

4.2A x 4 = 16.8A max.

you never know the shortcuts taken to give you lifepo4 batteries at a good price. 

Thanks for this alert. Yes we never know what we are buying until we see a failure. The one point that would concern me is that the lithium can charge very fast. If the gate motor power supply has a small fuse like some have the fuse might blow when the lithium charges. I had a client with such a problem. The PSU was designed with lead acid in mind. Just something that one will find out with trail and error on the actual charge rate.

• 2 weeks later...

I used a Blue Nova BN 13V-8-104Wh 10C drop in replacement in a D5 for 8 month with load shedding before we moved from that house - saw no degredation at all in that time, using the D5 standard circuits. It's a bit pricey (and I see TakeALot are out of stock again) but if you can get them, they are worth it IMHO.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Thor. Good to know. I have been looking for lithium batteries for a while now and most places are out of stock due to the recent load shedding. I wouldnt mind giving this a try for my gate motor. The price is also quite good compared to the Blue Nova

On 2022/06/27 at 10:13 AM, Vin said:

Due to all the load shedding my gate motor batteries are taking a beating. I put in a Forbatt gel battery a few months ago and its already on its way out. I am considering replacing the battery with something like this :https://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/559987360/Hoselect_LifePo4_LA127_Lithium_7_2ah_12_8v_Rechargeable_Battery.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwquWVBhBrEiwAt1KmwtN88odwCkn8ORAUQlxg8c1W_3Ty-9WzCaf0qnp3uShalDSbxBECohoCYi8QAvD_BwE

is this even possible? Has anyone has done this before. Can the standard built in charger charge the lithium battery? 

Put your gate motor on the backed up side of the DB. Load is not great, and your lead-acid batteries will not be running flat.

Edited by Bobster.
Gramour

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, McAllstar said:

do garage motors and gat motors normally use the same batteries? Yes i'm clueless 😀

Usually, but I don't want to say always.

Obviously they will use standard size batteries. Take the covers off and have a look. Take photos being sure to get the markings on the battery and the connections to it.

do garage motors and gat motors normally use the same batteries? Yes i'm clueless 😀

23 hours ago, Bobster. said:

Usually, but I don't want to say always.

Obviously they will use standard size batteries. Take the covers off and have a look. Take photos being sure to get the markings on the battery and the connections to it.

thanks for the reply. Here is a pic of the battery. guys are saying it's better to take 2 x 12v 7ah batteries and pair them and apparently it will work well and last longer. 

PHOTO-2022-09-21-06-33-04.jpg

Edited by McAllstar

2 hours ago, MKRandburg said:

What about putting 2 7Ah Lead Acid GEL in parallel? I'd like to understand the difference, cost wise it seems about the same. And how will an alarm system/gate/garage motor charge/discharge cycles affect a lithium ion battery? 

exactly what i'm going to do now. 

You will need to put the 2x 7AH batteries in series - not parallel.

Battery in the pic is 24V

image.png.bdcc4e1eadceb9fb7ed8163ddd06fe8d.png

Also remember with the same charger it will take longer to charge the 2x 7AH batteries to 100%. Should not be a huge problem unless we get to Stage 20 Loadshedding...

Edited by GreenMan

16 minutes ago, GreenMan said:

You will need to put the 2x 7AH batteries in series - not parallel.

Battery in the pic is 24V

image.png.bdcc4e1eadceb9fb7ed8163ddd06fe8d.png

Also remember with the same charger it will take longer to charge the 2x 7AH batteries to 100%. Should not be a huge problem unless we get to Stage 20 Loadshedding...

thanks a mil, yes I saw that i realised that i need to connect them in series and was also made aware of the longer changing time. Any idea where i can get the cables to bridge the batteries? 

Hang on, if it's in series, the voltage goes up but the Amps stay the same - so no benefit for loadshedding. You need to put 2 24V batteries in parallel to get benefit of more Amps.

Series - voltage goes up - Amps stay the same.
Parallel - voltage stays the same - Amps go up. 

I believe.

9 minutes ago, McAllstar said:

thanks a mil, yes I saw that i realised that i need to connect them in series and was also made aware of the longer changing time. Any idea where i can get the cables to bridge the batteries? 

5 hours ago, MKRandburg said:

Hang on, if it's in series, the voltage goes up but the Amps stay the same - so no benefit for loadshedding. You need to put 2 24V batteries in parallel to get benefit of more Amps.

Series - voltage goes up - Amps stay the same.
Parallel - voltage stays the same - Amps go up. 

I believe.

Interesting to see how many guys have batteries past the sell by date. LS just highlights this fact. We repair tens of PCB for gates everyday. Keeping a year old 7Ah on a gate motor with the 230V AC switched of for 24 hrs. A very long LS event. After the 24hrs the SOC was still at estimated over 50%.

12 hours ago, Scorp007 said:

Interesting to see how many guys have batteries past the sell by date. LS just highlights this fact. We repair tens of PCB for gates everyday. Keeping a year old 7Ah on a gate motor with the 230V AC switched of for 24 hrs. A very long LS event. After the 24hrs the SOC was still at estimated over 50%.

Now that I've done my deep dive into inverters... it's starting with batteries. What kind of battery was this? Are those kinds of batteries supposed to be replaced yearly? I woke up this morning to the lovely sounds of are alarm panel beeping after the 4 hour LS we had from midnight to 4am. Our plan is to replace it with a bigger Ah battery (2 x 8Ah Lead Acid GEL). This is why I hate batteries! 

5 hours ago, MKRandburg said:

Now that I've done my deep dive into inverters... it's starting with batteries. What kind of battery was this? Are those kinds of batteries supposed to be replaced yearly? I woke up this morning to the lovely sounds of are alarm panel beeping after the 4 hour LS we had from midnight to 4am. Our plan is to replace it with a bigger Ah battery (2 x 8Ah Lead Acid GEL). This is why I hate batteries! 

I have seen 12V 7Ah lasting 5yrs on gate motors. My own garage door 24V 4Ah lasted 6 years but that is just that it was not used a lot during LS times.

If a good quality battery and the charger does not overcharge(no 1 enemy) the can last an easy 2-3years. That being said if on an alarm then it works a damn lot harder than on a gate motor. Current draw for the gate motor PCBs we work on is in the order of 50mA from the battery when idle. This is lower than a weak LED light.

Also a open and close on a 3m gate uses less than 2Wh. A 7Ah has a 84Wh total capacity of which we don't want to discharge to lower than 50% SOC for lead acid This gives a few days for our gate motors without being charged.

Gel is a better option but Lithium is the winner. For alarms 2x 8Ah will surely help and also prolong the life of the batteries.

Electric fences also draw about 10 times the standing load of a gate motor.

20 hours ago, Scorp007 said:

Update. After 47 hrs the battery is still above 50% SOC on 12.1V

So now its time to charge it after the 47hrs.

Started charging @970mA. 10min later charging 410mA. After 20min current dropped to 300mA. After 60min charge current went up to 400mA. Estimated SOC is 70%. It might continue charging at this rate for 8 or more hours before it will be at 100% SOC.

This shows that prolonged discharge needs quite some time to reach 100% again.

Edited by Scorp007

• 2 months later...