DC Circuit Breakers

I'll tell you what I do. I don't have a breaker there. I have one of these fuse holder disconnects which doubles as a breaker. My PV current is max 8 amps (one string per mppt), the short circuit current (Imax) on the panels, so I certainly don't need a massive breaker for this.

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 10:43 AM, Bowsie said:

I've ordered a onesto change over to test

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you order from China directly?

Could you post the link?

8 minutes ago, Bowsie said:

No just from a local supplier to see what it's like.

Could you share the supplier? I couldn't find any local (except one which, I know, they have nothing) on Google

Thanks all for the feedback and help. I found one at ACDC in Strand ( Cape Town ) They also have Fuse holders.

I found the quality on the AC DC change over wanting. The terminals strip and buckle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 9 months later...
  • 11 months later...
1 hour ago, stoic said:

the difference between a DC breaker and an AC breaker

When current is flowing it wants to keep on flowing and if you break the circuit it will draw an arc, ionizing the air and maintaining the circuit.

In a nutshell, if the electrical gap is big enough current will stop flowing.

With AC however there are natural current zero points, so if the gap is sufficient the arc wont maintain itself and the circuit will be switched off.

With DC there are no natural current zero points, so something else has to be done, to effectively increase the size of the gap or blow-out the arc.

I think the most commonly method used at a small scale is to use magnetism to push the DC arc away from the opening contacts.

Large breakers use all sorts of mechanisms and arcing mediums.