SVOLT cells, good price per Ah

gimme_power

On 2023/06/09 at 8:17 AM, NoordSolar said:

Has anyone had busbars made using laser cutting copper?

Copper is one of the more challenging materials to laser cut, for the same reason that it is used for the mirrors in CO2 lasers. So it might be difficult to find a supplier that can do it. Water jet cutting will work, but at a much higher cost.

On 2023/06/10 at 9:23 AM, Brushless said:

Bought some of these cells new yesterday from Telenetix in Centurion (0861887847) for R1140 each (incl. VAT).

Pity the busbars and clips aren't available here yet but I'm having some busbars CNC cut from aluminium. Will try 3D print some clips after modifying the STP file (*thanks NoordSolar for the link).

Top balancing large capacity cells like these is going to be a challenge though as my biggest charger only does 15A. Anyone in JHB have a high amp LFP charger?

Can't see that on their website, do you have a link? Or do I have to phone them? Do you know how many they have in stock? 

7 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

Looking good Mr Froggy, what BMS is that and how do you plan to connect all the batteries?
I am also keen to see how you finish it off as I am seriously considering building such a battery for myself (and later maybe another 1 or 2). :D 

Thanks PsyCLown! It's a JK BMS.

I'm busy making the busbars with good old 22mm copper water pipe.

Some might scoff at the idea,but it served me well so far. One just needs to ensure they are 100 % flat.

I just have to decide if I'm going to nicke plate.

I'll be using stainless washers, spring washers and nut torqued to 8nm.

2023-06-19_04-14-56 2023-06-19_04-15-54

1 hour ago, NoordSolar said:

Is the pipe simply squashed , so its two layers ?

To me it looks as if it was cut (so a single layer) then flattened so it is no longer circular.

Can someone who purchased from Telenetix confirm that the threaded studs are already installed on the cells.

Edited by PsyCLown

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, gimme_power said:

Reminder to anyone who has two of these cells spare (like me) that I will be interested. I have two spare as I am building two 15 cell packs but had to buy 16 cells. I can make a 12V battery if I can lay my hands on another two cells

Thanks

Or you can use all 16 of them. 

31 minutes ago, Tim003 said:

Or you can use all 16 of them. 

Or that...  Except I need to match it with other 15cell packs as they will be in parallel. Or do you have a solution for that? Like a big DC to DC converter, bi-directional😀

Edited by gimme_power

57 minutes ago, gimme_power said:

Or that...  Except I need to match it with other 15cell packs as they will be in parallel. Or do you have a solution for that? Like a big DC to DC converter, bi-directional😀

Why in parallel?