Goodwe ES Automated Upgrade 1818

LeonDenHuiz

Hello Leon

Mines did the same -- in the evening nogal, all the lights went off.

Then I see that the inverter is restarting. Only the following day I see that it was updated. 

How is your wifi connection since ? Does your WIFI LED turn off at all?

• 6 months later...

For Fark Sakes. Don't get me started with the firmware updates on these. I can tell you that 1818 is not good; I'm sitting on 2020 and it's a little better, but mine came with 1818 out the box. My experience with Goodwe has been worse than with the local Home Affairs office, just to give some perspective. But, I'm committed to it now with all the integrations I've done with it. But hell if I had a do-over I'd rather go Sunsynk. Buyer beware.

1 hour ago, gbyleveldt said:

For Fark Sakes. Don't get me started with the firmware updates on these. I can tell you that 1818 is not good; I'm sitting on 2020 and it's a little better, but mine came with 1818 out the box. My experience with Goodwe has been worse than with the local Home Affairs office, just to give some perspective. But, I'm committed to it now with all the integrations I've done with it. But hell if I had a do-over I'd rather go Sunsynk. Buyer beware.

I've had 1818A since before the lockdown started, so I'll bite: What's improved/not so bad on 2020.

I've had quite good response from Goodwe SA.

1 hour ago, Bobster said:

I've had 1818A since before the lockdown started, so I'll bite: What's improved/not so bad on 2020.

I've had quite good response from Goodwe SA.

Where do I start...

My inverter would keep going into Check mode for no apparent reason. Sems would show massive spikes in the load whenever this happens and "overloading" of the inverter was offered as the cause. This would result in the inverter switching to offgrid mode for a few minutes and then go back into normal mode. It would do this randomly during the day but in addition to that, it would do this at 9:15am and stay in offgrid anything between 15 to 30 minutes. Every. Single. Day. Weekends, Weekdays, Holidays, doesn't matter. No way any household has exactly the same usage patterns every single day.

I literally took apart the whole house's electrical system to try and figure out what it could possibly be, to no avail. Clamp meters on circuits on the backup side yielded no high load conditions (nor spikes when set to store/hold max readings) so I started becoming suspicious of the offered diagnosis. Prior to the installation I spent considerable time to split essential an non-essential loads, making sure neutrals aren't mixed up and all circuits are labelled and correctly identified. I've posted details of this a few months ago on this very forum.

I (with the help of others) developed a driver to specifically log all the metrics of the inverter directly to try and figure out what was the cause of the issue. Many, many man hours later the driver was developed and *gasp*, it's not my loads. It's not even anything on the grid side; I've even gone as far as logging the incoming grid and frequency to see if there's a low/high incoming voltage/frequency causing this. Furthermore, nowhere ever does the backup side ever get close to 4.6kW. In fact, during all these trips, the backup loads were where they always where, right under around 1kW constantly. Then the offered cause turned to Eskom as there was "DC present on AC". Further testing showed this was not the case, but even so it involved a rev C of the firmware to be implemented (going from 1818A to 1818C). The DC Present on AC faults went away, but still the inverter merrily went on going into Check mode the whole time. Goodwe SA confirmed that they saw the restarts (when they bothered to respond), but had no idea what caused it as no actual fault was stored (!!!).

Then, after losing my patience I was told that there's a 2020 version available and that they couldn't understand why I was still running 1818(!!!), this after GoodweSA changed the firmware from 1818RevA to 1818RevC. The updated 2020C was loaded (by me, because remote updates failed) and still the issue persisted but to a lesser extent. I've sent graphs, screenshots, mails, smoke signals; all to be simply ignored and me being sent from pillar to post. Goodwe SA was personally aware of all the issues since the 2nd of October (the install was done end of August) and only last week (4 weeks later) was I informed (in passing) that they might take it up with China. Bear in mind I was, till very recently, always respectful and amicable to getting the issues sorted out. Only to be constantly ignored or to endure flippant responses (if they came). It's only since I lost my sheeet a few weeks ago that an attempt was made to start looking into the issue by either Segen or Goodwe. What (apparently) didn't count in my favour is that I did the installation - not an accredited installer/supplier, the supplier simply purchased the inverter from Segen, added his profit and had Segen drop it off by me. He was otherwise uninvolved until I started asking for a refund. Just as a sidenote: if you DIY you must be absolutely certain that your supplier will have your back when problems crop up. Segen doesn't want to even talk to you (even less so Goodwe), the end user. I drew the short straw with my supplier...

Funny enough, this last week the system has calmed down. I literally did nothing my side, nor was there another software version loaded (I checked). There's now a billion options available on the PV Master App, under Advanced. I have no idea what those are so have not touched those. Maybe someone remotely made some changes there, who knows. And when I say the system calmed down, I mean the incessant Check-mode-going-into-offgird-mode-for-30-45-minutes-at-a-time issue has not occurred again, but every now and then there's two or three blips a day when the inverter does a quick Check Mode for a few seconds (remember I log all these events every 15 seconds). Not something I can notice in the house (before the LED lights would flicker when it does this). Again, nothing in our usage patterns has changed, nor was there any hardware changes. Thus my conclusion that the issue must be related to software somehow.

Anyway, there's my rant. Make of it what you will. No matter how good the inverter (and I happen to like mine - on paper), without active support it's only a heavy and expensive paperweight.

Edited by gbyleveldt

• 2 weeks later...

Funny, I also had a "DC/AC" error, usually on startup, but it was only once in a year.

I discussed it with the Goodwe guy in Cape Town and he made a change to the "ARM" then he adjusted some or other setting. 

I agree with you re installers and support. An installer is the most NB part of the entire chain. Mine was useless and I approached Segen directly who sorted me out pretty quickly, I even did the reinstall myself. I suppose they have to deal with installers/vendors because otherwise it would be chaos.

I now have an installer that has given me faith in humanity again, he's professional, reasonable and reliable. A difficult combination to find.

I agree with you re Sunsync, they're a really good machine from a features point of view but I believe, based on the comments on this forum that the Goodwe is a really robust, reliable inverter. The internals are apparently up there with the best. The Wi-Fi issue seems to have been resolved as well.

If I upgrade from the Goodwe I'll go 8kW Sunsync...

Mine has been running for a year now, no issues after the replacement inverter. The first one lasted 3 months then died, it was replaced within a week.

We need to remember that all hardware, even PC's, servers have a 2-5% failure rate within the fist 3 months, after that they tend to go forever, that's the norm. I bought 200 top class servers last year, 3 failed within the first 6 months....

@gbyleveldt sorry to hear about your issues, i bought four goodwe inverters, two em, and two es models, the two es worked perfect from the word get go, so did the one em, the other one was a disaster from the start. I did all 4 installations myself, not rocket science to be honest, although as soon as i had issues with the one it was a issue that i did the install myself, eventhough i am way better qualified than most installers probably with all due respect.... anyway, long story short, struggled for weeks with segen, it was a nightmare, their service is k@k, excuse the french, no other way to put it though, i only made headway once i contacted china directly, they gave me a local contact for a chinese man who assisted me who had the problem sorted in one morning, after struggling for weeks with segen solar... blaming and faulting everything possible except the actual issue... i still have the gentlemans details should you ever need proper support.....

hope you issues are now sorted, having unfortunately bought a 5kw axpert unit as well, i can say the difference between the brands is night and day.... if the goodwe works i find it to be a great inverter, when compared to the likes of the axpert, i have an offgrid installation with sunnyboys and even prefer the goodwe over them in terms of ease of installation and function etc etc....

seems like the sunsync is also a great offering at the moment though.... just wondering how their build quality compares to the goodwe... the goodwe really seems like solid equipment.....

Yeah, thanks for the offer @Saint. Honestly, I really like the actual inverter. It does what it says on the box. But my issue was related to the latest firmware (I know many others that use Goodwe without issue, hence getting myself one). But like you said, Segen and the local Goodwe rep can go suck a turd. I wouldn't piss on them if they on fire. It's a pity that the local guys pretty much kill the brand for me.

I did manage to get hold of international enthusiasts of Goodwe by way of developing the UDP protocol driver for Home Assistant and they were much more help getting the inverter stable, which it is now. But I ended up having to 'disable' so much of the wave detection stuff in order for it to work properly. Incidentally, another user in CT ran into the exact issues I did, running the 1818 firmware; I even got Segen to admit that the issue wasn't my installation but in fact an issue with the inverter firmware. Still, there's absolutely no urgency in getting the issue resolved. For that reason I would always dissuade people from going Goodwe. Having solid hardware means buggerall if there's no backup. 

yeah man, i hear you, product is ultimately only as good as its support... think this is were sunsybc is going to hurt the goodwe brand.... just on a side note.... you did follow the thread about the nuetral and how it should be connected on the goodwe, was a issue, on my installation, before the chinese guy rocked up....

9 hours ago, Saint said:

yeah man, i hear you, product is ultimately only as good as its support... think this is were sunsybc is going to hurt the goodwe brand.... just on a side note.... you did follow the thread about the nuetral and how it should be connected on the goodwe, was a issue, on my installation, before the chinese guy rocked up....

Hmmm, not sure if I did? I read a lot of threads here about it. Would you mind pointing me to it? I’m aware of the unmarked earth on the backup side, with the internal bonding relay. I’m making use of that unmarked earth in my system for bonding when grid goes down

Edited by gbyleveldt

Are there multiple distributors for Goodwe in this country? I, and my installer, have had good support from them, including details on the construction of a cable. They have upgraded the software on my inverter, but every time it's been after discussion and by agreement.

I don't have any way to compare Goodwe to any other brand, but I've been satisfied with the support for the product.

• 2 months later...

So my inverter was still on an old version, just before this 1818 business. Installed noticed this and mention he will get the guys to update it, but that never happened.

Well I noticed something weird on Saturday. Was at the shops and builders lost power to their lights and ACs etc. Only the tills was still powered. I was like, is there a power outage? Anyways got back home 20min later, and noticed all the essentials in the house is offline for about 20min. Had to restart the inverter to get it all back online.

Other than that 1 issue, it has been flawless since installation.

So that then triggered me to email support to get updated firmware. This morning, just after 10am, created a ticket on https://support.goodwe.com/ asking if they can update the firmware on my inverter. 6min later a response asking if 5pm today is fine to do it remotely. So I said yes.

At exactly 16:57 the essentials went down. Watched the inverter taking a couple of reboots before it returned to normal.

Was on 2171710 (1717 Rev A)
Now on 1212110 (2121 Rev D?)

Anyways that was mostly a good experience for me at least. 

13 hours ago, FixAMess said:

It would be good to know what the updates were....

Indeed, wish I had access to the changelogs etc. But this format of them doing it OTA for you, means I don't have access to anything really.

I did notice, that the battery charge/discharge pattern is different now in backup mode.

1121246212_ScreenShot2021-02-23at8_40_20AM.thumb.png.7ae3be098c46c1ee29ede0a8989f1ae8.png

4 hours ago, Tinuva said:

Indeed, wish I had access to the changelogs etc. But this format of them doing it OTA for you, means I don't have access to anything really.

I did notice, that the battery charge/discharge pattern is different now in backup mode.

1121246212_ScreenShot2021-02-23at8_40_20AM.thumb.png.7ae3be098c46c1ee29ede0a8989f1ae8.png

Where did you get this report from, is it something you made or from the std reporting interface?

• 3 months later...
On 2020/11/27 at 8:58 AM, Bobster said:

Are there multiple distributors for Goodwe in this country? I, and my installer, have had good support from them, including details on the construction of a cable. They have upgraded the software on my inverter, but every time it's been after discussion and by agreement.

I don't have any way to compare Goodwe to any other brand, but I've been satisfied with the support for the product.

Hello-yes I am having issues with my Goodwe GW 5048D-Es. With 2 x2. 4 kwh pylontech Lithium Iron batteries. 

When there an escom outage at night the batteries "come in" OK but after say 30 minutes all power dies with the batteries still close to fully charged! At this time there is no way of restoring battery backup until Eskom returns!! Frustrating! I am certainly not drawing an overload - just a TV and led security lights totalling circa 100 watts? I do now isolate the fridges in case they introduce an overload situation-but no change- still cuts off! 

Very frustrating as I have not find anyone yet who can resolve this!?  Would love to get the local Chinese Goodwe expert to resolve this for me. Can you assist with contact. 

I live in Ramsgate KwaZulu-Natal. 

I purchased my system from Solar Advice. 

Thanks

Mr Lindsay Ross 

13 hours ago, LinRoss said:

When there an escom outage at night the batteries "come in" OK but after say 30 minutes all power dies with the batteries still close to fully charged! At this time there is no way of restoring battery backup until Eskom returns!! Frustrating! I am certainly not drawing an overload - just a TV and led security lights totalling circa 100 watts? I do now isolate the fridges in case they introduce an overload situation-but no change- still cuts off! 

Very frustrating as I have not find anyone yet who can resolve this!?  Would love to get the local Chinese Goodwe expert to resolve this for me. Can you assist with contact. 

Ok... My first advice would be to work with your installer. Let them look at logs and check settings. 

It is not necessarily the Goodwe. 

Check the data on SEMS portal next time this happens. Check the load, check SOC. Don't assume what those figures are, check what the inverter is seeing and reacting to. 

I won't talk about pylontechs as I have zero experience with them. 

The goodwe has two settings that govern how far it will allow the batteries to discharge. One for off grid, one for on grid. Check those settings and remember that they do not reflect SOC, they reflect depth of discharge. 

If you set the off grid number to 10 then that is telling the inverter to allow 10% from fully charged then shut down. IE it will shut down not when there is 10% left but when there is 10% expended, IE at 90% SOC. 

I attach the relevant settings from my inverter. The first limits discharge to 60% whilst there is grid power - so there should always be at least 40% left when the grid goes down. If there is grid and SOC gets to 40% then the system draws from the grid. 

The second is the limit that is applied when there is no grid. Now it allows discharge of 90% IE until SOC is 10%. If there is no grid and the SOC gets to (100-90) ie 10% then the system stops drawing from the batteries. 

All of this based on SOC reported to the inverter. 

But if the installation is fairly new or if you're unsure about changing settings, call in your installer. 

Screenshots_2021-06-08-07-12-09.png

• 1 month later...

I will ad my 5c. I brought my 5048 ES inverter in March 2020 with firmware 16168 installed which I have not updated. I am a firm believer that “ If it aint broken don’t fix it.” Only issue I have had is that every now again we trip the inverter but the inverter resets with no residual problem. I have resolved the tripping by using WiFi smart plugs to disable certain kitchen circuits when the geyser is switched on also with WiFi plug. My only disappointment is that I was under the impression I could draw 9200 VA when connected to the grid but was told by Dave Havenga this is not possible so do not understand what this number is in the device specs? If inverter were to pack up after 5 years would go for 8 kVA Deye/Sunsync.

• 2 weeks later...

Another thing i have found

The ES5048  will always service the load first, then it will charge the batteries and only then will it export excess power to grid

In general mode the inverter is very loathe to use grid power to charge the batteries

It will wait about 1 -2 hours if the pv is down (rainy or cloudy) before it will charge the batteries from the grid

I use economical mode

I set the first setting to discharge at 1% between 6am till 11am

then i set the second setting to charge at 100% between 4pm and 9 pm

This stops the inverter charging from  6am until 11am  it will charge from depth of discharge (on grid) say 50% till 52% then it will discharge at 1% till 49% which takes hours

I do this because i have found that at 11am the sun is almost giving full power to pv

My pv is 5.6KW but the inverter is limited to 4.6KW output so normally it will throw away the excess power from the pv

But if it is charging the batteries it will first charge the batteries at say 3KW and then give all the excess to the load and output to grid (this way you can get more than 4.6KW)

Usually by 1:30pm my batteries are fully charged to 100%

The afternoon setting is set from 4pm till 9pm to limit the use of the batteries till 9pm

otherwise it will use the batteries up till 50% depth of discharge (on grid) by 1am

Of course when the grid is down the inverter will use the pv for the load first then charge the batteries and throw away any excess power

I have also struggled with "wastage" which isn't really since your load is covered and your batteries are fully charged. So you are not missing out on anything.

The only party missing out are the municipalities who could be saving coal during sun hours.

I am in a fortunate position as i have an old meter which runs backwards when you put power back into the grid

So i have always just used the inverter in ups mode as the grid is just a big storage battery for me

But i am of the opinion that if you don't use something (ie the batteries) then they will not work when you really need them a few years down the line

I have my depth of discharge (off grid) set to 80% as you get 6000 cycles on 80% and only 4500 cycles on 90%

Hopefully the batteries will last longer this way

But in 1 or2 years with the advancement in electric vehicles, there should be batteries that almost last a lifetime