Jump to content

Sunsynk 5.5k single CAN bus port limitation


YellowTapemeasure
 Share

Recommended Posts

I use my 5.5K Sunsynk's CAN bus port to connect to my 3x Pylontech batteries. I would also like to connect a RIOT Cloudlink to the CAN bus port for better analysis, but there is no free port on the Sunsynk.
Being a bus topology, the CAN bus should support multiple hosts, therefore (theoretically) I should be able to use a simple RJ-45 male to 2x RJ45 female splitters to give me an additional port, perhaps one like this:
Has anyone done this before, and does it work?
Edited by YellowTapemeasure
readability
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Kill_switch said:

My understanding is that you will plug the Riot into the can of the sunsynk and a second cable to the can of the pylontech, no need for a splitter. 

The RIOT has 2 RJ-45 ports marked "CAN", "MUL" and 1 RJ-11 port marked "S" (ostensibly serial). Not sure what MUL is for, but I assume that it could be for RS-485 comms. I will use the serial RJ-11 cable to connect to the master Pylontech, this will provide enhanced battery information.

My Sunsynk already uses its CAN bus port to connect to my master Pylontech CAN port. For it to be useful (in my situation, with the Sunsynk, and the upcoming features of the RIOT in MPPT analysis), the RIOT needs to use the CAN bus to connect (for the reverse CANBus implementation used by RIOT). Hence it appears that I need another CAN port.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Would be interested in the answer as well mine has not arrived but in my conversation with Steve, he said it would use the two ports one to battery one to inverter.image.png.92361a79b66f29220992f31bdf244d73.png

I would assume that the rj45 is configurable for RS485 based on this info from info sheet ( would be interesting if this is in factory or in software), but if not configured works in CAN bus mode.

The RJ11 is how I will talk to the hubble AM 2 as well for the enhanced info, I assume this based on my need to update the firmware the hubbles and it uses the RJ-11 as a Rx/TX line and you talk via RS232 port.

@HubbleLithium can maybe confirm?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Kill_switch said:

Would be interested in the answer as well mine has not arrived but in my conversation with Steve, he said it would use the two ports one to battery one to inverter.image.png.92361a79b66f29220992f31bdf244d73.png

I would assume that the rj45 is configurable for RS485 based on this info from info sheet ( would be interesting if this is in factory or in software), but if not configured works in CAN bus mode.

The RJ11 is how I will talk to the hubble AM 2 as well for the enhanced info, I assume this based on my need to update the firmware the hubbles and it uses the RJ-11 as a Rx/TX line and you talk via RS232 port.

@HubbleLithium can maybe confirm?

Thanks for the pic, this means that the CAN bus implementation uses pins 2,4 and 5 of the RJ-45, and no need for 120 ohm termination resistors. Should be quite easy to tap into it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From what I understand the can bus on the sunsync has a limited api and only accepts updates from a battery. No Api to fetch inverter values.

There is a full modbus spec for the serial port to fetch info from the inverter.

I recently helped a buddy implement a smart battery comms from his custom built battery to the inverter (with 'n Rasp Pi)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, iiznh said:

From what I understand the can bus on the sunsync has a limited api and only accepts updates from a battery. No Api to fetch inverter values.

There is a full modbus spec for the serial port to fetch info from the inverter.

I recently helped a buddy implement a smart battery comms from his custom built battery to the inverter (with 'n Rasp Pi)

Yes, I am familiar with the modbus spec, AFAIK it uses the RS-485 port. If that is the case then there will be no problem. RIOT support seems to suggest that it will be implemented via CAN bus though...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Kill_switch said:

Would be interested in the answer as well mine has not arrived but in my conversation with Steve, he said it would use the two ports one to battery one to inverter.image.png.92361a79b66f29220992f31bdf244d73.png

I would assume that the rj45 is configurable for RS485 based on this info from info sheet ( would be interesting if this is in factory or in software), but if not configured works in CAN bus mode.

The RJ11 is how I will talk to the hubble AM 2 as well for the enhanced info, I assume this based on my need to update the firmware the hubbles and it uses the RJ-11 as a Rx/TX line and you talk via RS232 port.

@HubbleLithium can maybe confirm?

Hi Kill_switch,

Correct.

There are 2x CAN ports, both ports use same pin layout as Pylontech to keep most inverter cables compatible.

Layout for both CAN ports are:
PIN 4: CAN-H
PIN 5: CAN-L
PIN 2: GROUND

The Included CAT5 cable will work on CANbus to the Battery, or CANbus from the RIOT to the inverter. However reverse CAN is being implimented for this to enable Axpert integration.
The Sunsynk CAN packets are being received by the RIOT, however it is not being processed and sent to the cloud yet. That is scheduled to be completed in the next 2-3 months if all goes well.

 

The RIOT website www.riotsystems.cloud will in the near future start releasing firmware update notifications and the new online manual with features as they are released.

 

RIOT is currently beta testing:

1. BMS, Pack, Firmware serial number extraction
2. Hubble BMS up to 15 pack parallel integration and automatick pack number, and overall complete ESS SOC.
3. Estimated runtime on battery pack remaining
4. Axpert MKSII, VMIII, King full monitoring.
5. Number of Charge Cycles.

You can see the beta tests on the demo dashboard: 
https://portal.riotsystems.cloud/dashboard/00bdc590-5810-11eb-adcd-0b75a54149c7?publicId=cc5cf540-5180-11eb-b88a-4bcbe9b8c65e

This release should go out for OTA firmware update to the main branch Monday.

Next implimentation will be:

1. Reverse CANbus completion for Axpert - This will extract pack volts, and SOC from the CANbus from the batteries and send to the Axpert to eliminate Error 4 and fix the SOC problem. RIOT is hoping to push this OTA firmware in 4-6 weeks.
2. Impliment new Schneider Gateway Zanbus protocol.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2021/02/24 at 6:33 PM, YellowTapemeasure said:
I use my 5.5K Sunsynk's CAN bus port to connect to my 3x Pylontech batteries. I would also like to connect a RIOT Cloudlink to the CAN bus port for better analysis, but there is no free port on the Sunsynk.
Being a bus topology, the CAN bus should support multiple hosts, therefore (theoretically) I should be able to use a simple RJ-45 male to 2x RJ45 female splitters to give me an additional port, perhaps one like this:
Has anyone done this before, and does it work?

Hi yellowtapemeasure,

 

The RIOT has 2x CAN ports for this exact reason. Plug the Sunsynk into the RIOT and the other CAN from the Pylontech batteries also into the RIOT. The 2x RIOT CANbus ports acts as a HUB. 
The RIOT will read your Pylontechs in a few months 9once OTA firmware is done) over CANbus and the Sunsynk CAN data and cloud it.
RIOT is looking at the RS232 of the pylontech also for more admin level data access.......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HubbleLithium said:

Hi yellowtapemeasure,

 

The RIOT has 2x CAN ports for this exact reason. Plug the Sunsynk into the RIOT and the other CAN from the Pylontech batteries also into the RIOT. The 2x RIOT CANbus ports acts as a HUB. 
The RIOT will read your Pylontechs in a few months 9once OTA firmware is done) over CANbus and the Sunsynk CAN data and cloud it.
RIOT is looking at the RS232 of the pylontech also for more admin level data access.......

Thank you @HubbleLithium, so I can use both RJ-45 ports as CANbus. Will test it over the weekend 😎

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

Please assist. How does one connect the Cloudlink RIOT to a Sunsynk Inverter? Currently only getting battery information. The RIOT does not pick up the inverter. Tried by connecting the Hubble battery to the RIOT via the serial port (RS232) and from the RIOT CAN port to the Sunsynk inverter. Also tried from the CAN on the battery to the MUL port on the RIOT and from the CAN on the RIOT to the CAN on the Sunsynk.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 2021/07/05 at 5:03 PM, new2solar said:

Hi,

Please assist. How does one connect the Cloudlink RIOT to a Sunsynk Inverter? Currently only getting battery information. The RIOT does not pick up the inverter. Tried by connecting the Hubble battery to the RIOT via the serial port (RS232) and from the RIOT CAN port to the Sunsynk inverter. Also tried from the CAN on the battery to the MUL port on the RIOT and from the CAN on the RIOT to the CAN on the Sunsynk.

The RIOT currently does not provide telemetry from the SunSynk inverter. They are targeting the next few weeks according to the support team.

I have been running the RIOT for 2 days now, and this evening decided to unplug it, as it's not reading SOC and voltage correctly from the battery.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
On 2021/02/25 at 10:54 PM, HubbleLithium said:

Hi yellowtapemeasure,

 

The RIOT has 2x CAN ports for this exact reason. Plug the Sunsynk into the RIOT and the other CAN from the Pylontech batteries also into the RIOT. The 2x RIOT CANbus ports acts as a HUB. 
The RIOT will read your Pylontechs in a few months 9once OTA firmware is done) over CANbus and the Sunsynk CAN data and cloud it.
RIOT is looking at the RS232 of the pylontech also for more admin level data access.......

I've just received my RIOT to connect to a SunSynk 8kW and 4xHubble AM2

According to riot_cloudlink_installation_manual_2_1_8.pdf page 2, there is only 1 CANbus port:

image.png.4d23d73ef3dcec9ce25e35f63dec26af.png

I've used the Serial port to connect to Battery 1.

The SynSynk CAN port is connected to battery 1.

How do I monitor the inverter with RIOT?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, PowerUser said:

@system32, aren’t you supposed to use the MultiPort for this configuration?

@PowerUser thanks for the prompt response.

Tried using the RS485/MOD MUL port with RJ45 cable to SunSynk RS485 port.
The RIOT reports "NO INVERTED CONNECTED"

PS. RPI3b with USB-RS485 cable to the SunSynk RS485 port works fine (Solar-Assistant)
image.png.b7d3f89c9ba7996e762a6d1c0c84aa69.pngimage.png.0d89f7aff7ee9f89ba380cd45dae57c7.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, system32 said:

@PowerUser thanks for the prompt response.

Tried using the RS485/MOD MUL port with RJ45 cable to SunSynk RS485 port.
The RIOT reports "NO INVERTED CONNECTED"

PS. RPI3b with USB-RS485 cable to the SunSynk RS485 port works fine (Solar-Assistant)
image.png.b7d3f89c9ba7996e762a6d1c0c84aa69.pngimage.png.0d89f7aff7ee9f89ba380cd45dae57c7.png

The best would be to speak to Hubble tech support, if it's not explained properly in the manual. Please update us with their response later.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2021/11/15 at 1:18 PM, PowerUser said:

The best would be to speak to Hubble tech support, if it's not explained properly in the manual. Please update us with their response later.

According to Hubble Support...
"The SunSynk 8kW and SunSynk 5kW and SynSynk 3.6kW all have different RS485 ports/pins that require updates to the RIOT."
They are working on getting the RIOT <--> SunSynk 8kW working...

In the mean time, I'm using Solar-Assistant - works well.
I like Solar Assistant as it has MQTT capability that I use to save data to PostgreSQL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, system32 said:

According to Hubble Support...
"The SunSynk 8kW and SunSynk 5kW and SynSynk 3.6kW all have different RS485 ports/pins that require updates to the RIOT."
They are working on getting the RIOT <--> SunSynk 8kW working...

In the mean time, I'm using Solar-Assistant - works well.
I like Solar Assistant as it has MQTT capability that I use to save data to PostgreSQL.

Thank for the update. I saw your Solar Assistant graph. It looks good. One things about RIOT is to be able to see the state of the individual cells inside the battery. That should give you a good understanding of what is going on and if a cell is going bad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, PowerUser said:

Thank for the update. I saw your Solar Assistant graph. It looks good. One things about RIOT is to be able to see the state of the individual cells inside the battery. That should give you a good understanding of what is going on and if a cell is going bad.

Solar Assistant gives access to each AM-2's summary data and not the cells in an AM-2.

https://solar-assistant.io/help/dashboard/battery

The overall data per AM-2 is how I discovered the different capacity Ah values.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...