Super-capacitor Batteries

Sethm

Just now, The Terrible Triplett said:

I am acutely aware of the need for profit outweighing the need to longevity in batteries and I understand why you need to keep on making profit with batteries.

The margins are stupidly low on batts if you shop right and not get milked.

And that is why ones does it small scale knowing full well it is not a retirement plan.

I am game and so is @superdiy and I bet you Plonkster, Chris, Edmund  and a few others will also be, you know, the active posters here who really are into it.

And once we have it right, nothing stopping us to share with the rest here.  

Ok, so how do you guys want to proceed?

2 minutes ago, SilverNodashi said:

Ok, so how do you guys want to proceed?

Give it some thought for what you said made sense.

I think the research on the chemistry and the inside plate designs are the "difficult" parts.

Will chat tomorrow more.

Just now, The Terrible Triplett said:

Give it some thought for what you said made sense.

I think the research on the chemistry and the inside plate designs are the "difficult" parts.

Will chat tomorrow more.

I gave it some thought already. Need to look for a cheap 2nd hand smelter and a chemist, or mad scientist ;) Trying to think who / where

6 minutes ago, SilverNodashi said:

I gave it some thought already. Need to look for a cheap 2nd hand smelter and a chemist, or mad scientist ;) Trying to think who / where

My last post for tonite ... tell me what we need, and I can speak to a battery manufacturer in Benoni. MAYBE they can help. ;)

59 minutes ago, superdiy said:

When I googled yesterday, the plate construction specifically looked quite complicated.

Positive plate

Negative plate

Yup... that's when I also started thinking: I'm going to need some good equipment for that... and then to pay for the equipment I'm going to have to make more than 20... so I'll be starting a business. Mmmmmh....

1 hour ago, DeepBass9 said:

Is GWStore the sole agent? I doubt it. Maybe Powerforum should stock them?

Energy and I did discuss yes. Not viable.

44 minutes ago, plonkster said:

Yup... that's when I also started thinking: I'm going to need some good equipment for that... and then to pay for the equipment I'm going to have to make more than 20... so I'll be starting a business. Mmmmmh....

If there is no easy solution here for the plates, I will reach out for help.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, SilverNodashi said:

70%

The Last Battery You Will Ever Buy!!!

* 11,000+ Cycle Life Expectancy

* 80% Depth Of Discharge

* 12, 24 and 48 Volt Applications

This still tickles my funny bone.

Bought 6 x 2.7V  500 Farad supercapacitors and busy building a boost-pack.  Charged it to 14.0V last week Thursday and today it is at 8.74V so little over ½ of its capacity a week later. My idea is to start a tractor. Due to the capacitors going missing in the post I now have another 6 on their way and so will ended up with 12 (2 strings of 6).  Now waiting to receive the 2nd set and then I will finish off to make it usable.Video when I am ready.

On 11/24/2016 at 7:03 PM, Chris Hobson said:

This still tickles my funny bone.

Bought 6 x 2.7V  500 Farad supercapacitors and busy building a boost-pack.  Charged it to 14.0V last week Thursday and today it is at 8.74V so little over ½ of its capacity a week later. My idea is to start a tractor. Due to the capacitors going missing in the post I now have another 6 on their way and so will ended up with 12 (2 strings of 6).  Now waiting to receive the 2nd set and then I will finish off to make it usable.Video when I am ready.

I am really very interested in knowing how your experiment goes!

• 6 months later...
On 2016-8-30 at 10:57 AM, Chris Hobson said:

No clue but if a 350F unit can start a 1.6l engine then surely 500F will swing a tractor. Ordered on ebay (R360). I am a little concerned that the component's leads are a bit too thin but I just want a proof of concept. If it works I will naturally buy better components.

I saw this about 9 months ago but shelved it. The post has renewed my interest and I am sure one could make something cheaper than the Killawatt Labs product.

Addition

Unfortunately while you were trying to swing your tractor, someone else did this https://electrek.co/2016/10/31/fisker-electric-car-emotion/

17 minutes ago, DeepBass9 said:

Unfortunately while you were trying to swing your tractor, someone else did this https://electrek.co/2016/10/31/fisker-electric-car-emotion/

:lol: I quote "after they reveal an actual prototype". 

My battery pack at least starts the ride on lawnmover if the air-temperature is not to cold. The mower is packed away for the winter so I have not experimented further but have a another ½ dozen capacitors on the way from China (they keep going missing).  I always run the supercapacitors on the conservative side but took them safely to 16V late this afternoon and noticed that the balancer has tiny LEDs which light up when the balancing circuits are active (decided my eyesight is shocking). I was going to solder on a LED per balancing circuit ala Julian Ilett. 

• 8 months later...